• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Starlito

Reaction score
Do folks who have square deco shoes take your same size and width as the normal lasts or do you go up one size in width? Came across some older posts of people going with F width for their square decos.
I take the same size (9e) on all lasts. I would say that for my feet, tg73 is the narrowest and deco is a bit more comfortable from the beginning.
I guess ot depends on your foot shape.

for reference my size is usually 8,5 with John Lobb, Saint Crispins etc.

ant922599

Reaction score
Do folks who have square deco shoes take your same size and width as the normal lasts or do you go up one size in width? Came across some older posts of people going with F width for their square decos.
Same size here also (8E). I'm fine in all lasts apart from DG70, which I can't wear because it's too narrow across the front foot - more so than square deco, strangely.

I can only speak from my own experience, but G&G F width is quite a bit bigger all round (of course) and I feel this around the heel and sides in a bad way, rather than across the toe box in a good way.

ant922599

Reaction score
Debating between three color choices for the Savile. Would you all have any thoughts or recommendations?

Burgundy, dark brown, tan. I’ll mostly wear these with jeans (indigo or light blue) and may, occasionally, wear them with navy or grey trousers.

For reference, I don’t have any other “less formal” shoes. I have oxfords (of all three colors and black), loafers, and sneakers, but nothing “in between” that bridges the gap between oxfords and loafers.

Leaning towards burgundy, but would love to hear thoughts.

View attachment 1592039
Burgundy

View attachment 1592040
Dark brown

View attachment 1592041 View attachment 1592042
Tan (two photos)
I've got the savile on the square deco in vintage oak, and it's one of my absolute favourite shoes.

The canyon patina is so nice, but I'd go for brown, then burgundy, then tan - for the first one at least!

It does wear quite smart though to my eye, hence going brown for versatility and allowing the style itself to do all the shouting.

ant922599

Reaction score
IMG_20180429_190353_806.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating between three color choices for the Savile. Would you all have any thoughts or recommendations?

Burgundy, dark brown, tan. I’ll mostly wear these with jeans (indigo or light blue) and may, occasionally, wear them with navy or grey trousers.

For reference, I don’t have any other “less formal” shoes. I have oxfords (of all three colors and black), loafers, and sneakers, but nothing “in between” that bridges the gap between oxfords and loafers.

Leaning towards burgundy, but would love to hear thoughts.

View attachment 1592039
Burgundy

View attachment 1592040
Dark brown

View attachment 1592041 View attachment 1592042
Tan (two photos)
I really like the Burgundy here, but my second would be dark brown. Tan would be the least versatile imo

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I can't wear the deco last since it's too wide, and I wear TG73.

nevaeh

Reaction score

Thank you everyone for the replies on color choice for the Savile. Looks like we're tied for burgundy and dark brown as the first choice!

Two conclusions: 1. The Savile is a drop dead gorgeous shoe. 2. Like potato chips, one color’s not going to be enough and I’ll want another ASAP!! I’ll get the burgundy now and will start saving up for the dark brown ASAP—photos following shortly.

Now off to the dark web for places where I can pawn off a kidney, @upr_crust ?.

ant922599

Reaction score
@Encore - lovely pair (Warwicks?). I've got a pair of Gables in a similar colour but have never worn them as I can't quite get an outfit together where I like the overall look ?

Out of interest- how do you rate the boot black stuff? Any comparison to Saphir?

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Encore - lovely pair (Warwicks?). I've got a pair of Gables in a similar colour but have never worn them as I can't quite get an outfit together where I like the overall look ?

Out of interest- how do you rate the boot black stuff? Any comparison to Saphir?
Thank you, I think navy blue is not that difficult to wear, but the aggressive look of deco last is definitely not that easy to pair with, at least for me.
I prefer BootBlack, for me, it's easier to get a mirror shine with BB products.

gcwmm

Reaction score
lol, I wish... no, I do not have any G&G cordovan and am unwilling to ask about it since I know it is more than I would like to spend! These are oak hatch, courtesy of a fellow member.
Yap, very fair! I have no idea how much it will cost for cordovan. This leather did beat my deep heart.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Does anyone with both TG73 and Deco square shoes happen to have direct comparison photos? I really like my TG73 pairs and intrigued by square deco but worried they may look too pointy and long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads