• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little sizing help if you are able.

I’m considering a pair on the KN14 last and wondered how they fit and ideas what size I’d need.

For context I wear most Northampton brands in an 8, EG a mixture of 8 and 8.5. All my EG loafers are in an 8E but are on the tight side on my larger foot, if I go up in width the fit is sub optimal on my smaller foot.

Is an 8 going to be too narrow? Or am I better with an 8.5 and an insole on the smaller foot.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deco Rogers in Rioja Hatchgrain...
(Please don't mind the dust specks...)

IMG_3845.jpg IMG_3850.jpg

papado

Reaction score
A little sizing help if you are able.

I’m considering a pair on the KN14 last and wondered how they fit and ideas what size I’d need.

For context I wear most Northampton brands in an 8, EG a mixture of 8 and 8.5. All my EG loafers are in an 8E but are on the tight side on my larger foot, if I go up in width the fit is sub optimal on my smaller foot.

Is an 8 going to be too narrow? Or am I better with an 8.5 and an insole on the smaller foot.

I wear a UK10E in John Lobb and have found in EG that I'm really a UK10E in most lasts (though their own sizing conversion of US 11D to UK says I should be a 10.5E). With G&G a 10.5E is my size across multiple lasts and have found the half size down from US (11-->10.5) to be accurate.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a UK10E in John Lobb and have found in EG that I'm really a UK10E in most lasts (though their own sizing conversion of US 11D to UK says I should be a 10.5E). With G&G a 10.5E is my size across multiple lasts and have found the half size down from US (11-->10.5) to be accurate.
Thank you, that’s useful.

Starlito

Reaction score
Thank you, that’s useful.
Pretty much the same here
8,5E with Lobb, StCrispins, Church's
8,5E or F with EG
8,5D or 9E with JM Weston
9E with G&G
43 Vass K Last, Stefano Bemer S Last, Berluti

Last edited:

Jauregui7

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been following the forums for a little while now, just bought my first pair of G&G and I must say they are awesome! Savile monkstraps in 10.5/11 (surprised I had to go that large though, normally wear size 10 and I measure 10 and 10.25 in Brannock device, my Santoni shoes are all 10 as well as a pair of Testoni and 2 C&J, the sole length on these G&G though matches that of all my Santoni: 12.5in toe to heel, so there)

Anyways, to the point of my post, they came with trees included, but I guess someone made a mistake at the store and mixed one of them: left is marked 10.5 and right one is 11. I don't want to create unnecessary stress or expand my shoes with the larger tree, you think there's a risk of that? I measured a couple things on the trees and they have almost the same measurements, but once in the shoes, the 11 barely has any room between the front and rear of the tree, metal tubes barely showing. Also, the top part of the tree sticks out about 1/4 of an inch more from the tongue on the 11 sized one.

Please let me know your thoughts, not sure if the retailer would agree to swap one tree for the proper size or if they even have the right one anymore...

Cheers!

dbshoelover

Reaction score
Hi all,
Would like some advice please. In the process of commissioning a couple of GGs. One of the choice is obvious St James II vintage cherry. I am not very sure I wanted the square TG73 so considering the round deco MTO. I searched online extensively but can’t find a round deco SJII vintage cherry. MH71 is an option but when I am going for an MTO, I might as well go for the deco as I thought it will be a little more sharper. Lack of pictures make me think whether people didn’t think it looked good on round deco compared to MH71 (there are quite a few pictures for these) and hence they went with TG73, MH71 or square deco. Any thoughts are really appreciated.

shrink1061

Reaction score
I love the St james on the TG73 but that is quite a classic Gaziano and was one of their standard ready to go lines for so long. If doing MTO you’re as well to go for a last that makes them a bit more unique. Square deco would be my choice.

dbshoelover

Reaction score
Thanks Shrink!! Very helpful. I thought the round deco would mute a bit of style statement and aggressiveness and make it more elegant than stylish, which is what I’m looking for. Will be interesting to hear others thought as well. Also, not sure if round deco will come out as a normal classic shoe with a round toe and it isn’t worth going deco on a rounded last. Interesting to hear other’s thoughts

shrink1061

Reaction score
It’s my opinion that getting a round toed gaziano misses some of what makes them Special. That said I find the deco lasts a little tooo long and pointy and that in itself makes for a statement. TG73 is still one of my very favourite lasts along with vass K, and Crockett 373

Last edited:

shrink1061

Reaction score
It’s my opinion that getting a round toed gaziano misses some of what makes them Special. That said I find the deco lasts a little tooo long and pointy and that in itself makes for a statement. TG73 is still one of my very favourite lasts along with vass K, and Crockett 373

must read beforeI hit send! Some serious typos there!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads