• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

papado

Reaction score
Gents, I’ve been eyeing these Stefano Bemers’ ever since I saw the bespoken version on PS a couple of years ago.

View attachment 1501775

But now considering whether I should instead go with a pair of GG Saint James II in tan hatchgrain? Both considering GG’s current 20 pct. discount, but also because I know my size in GG. Any thoughts on this and SB quality vs. GG?

Thanks in advance!

I would say see if GG is still doing the 20% off MTO and you can try and order a pair of the 'Burlington' without the toe medallion in a grain leather and you'll probably have something pretty close to the above?

Can't speak to SB but I'm not aware of anything that would make it much 'better' than GG especially if you like GG/already know sizes and lasts that work for you.

sforum1

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a way you can take measurements at home to determine what your G&G size is (length and width)? I looked on G&G's website and could not find anything. The measurements could, of course, be the same as other manufacturers but the mapping of the measurements to the shoe size could be unique to each shoemaker.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I would say see if GG is still doing the 20% off MTO and you can try and order a pair of the 'Burlington' without the toe medallion in a grain leather and you'll probably have something pretty close to the above?

Can't speak to SB but I'm not aware of anything that would make it much 'better' than GG especially if you like GG/already know sizes and lasts that work for you.
SB is handwelted to my knowledge.

BomTrady

Reaction score
SB is handwelted to my knowledge.
@papado Yes, I love G&G, but SB is a better shoe in my opinion (hw and better leather) and with the 35% BF sale discount, you'll be paying about the same. One caveat, the fit isn't the same.SB is a slightly bigger shoe. It has a higher instep and most last have more room in the toe box than G&G. But G&G is a great shoe, so either way can't go wrong.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Have some older G&Gs with the lasted shoe mahogany shoe trees that I'm thinking of offloading...what's the going rate these days? Looking at sold listings on ebay are pretty dismal and honestly lookin not even worth it.

sforum1

Reaction score
Have some older G&Gs with the lasted shoe mahogany shoe trees that I'm thinking of offloading...what's the going rate these days? Looking at sold listings on ebay are pretty dismal and honestly lookin not even worth it.
what's the size? Are they lasted? Does it have the name of the last printed at the bottom?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Yep...Antibes in 9e kn14 back when they still did lasted trees

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@papado Yes, I love G&G, but SB is a better shoe in my opinion (hw and better leather) and with the 35% BF sale discount, you'll be paying about the same. One caveat, the fit isn't the same.SB is a slightly bigger shoe. It has a higher instep and most last have more room in the toe box than G&G. But G&G is a great shoe, so either way can't go wrong.

Thanks a lot!I actually wasn’t aware of the current promotion, so if indeed the 1787 replica is part of that promotion they might end up being cheaper than the G&G version. However, not sure if their online prices are inclusive of VAT or not (I’m presently based outside of the EU area so it would make a difference). I love G&G but find they are a snug fit (albeit a very good fit), so your description of the SB in comparison sounds very attractive to me.

Thanks for your help!

sforum1

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!I actually wasn’t aware of the current promotion, so if indeed the 1787 replica is part of that promotion they might end up being cheaper than the G&G version. However, not sure if their online prices are inclusive of VAT or not (I’m presently based outside of the EU area so it would make a difference). I love G&G but find they are a snug fit (albeit a very good fit), so your description of the SB in comparison sounds very attractive to me.

Thanks for your help!
The website detects where you are and it automatically subtracts the VAT. So if you are in the US, for example, then what you are seeing is the price excluding VAT. However, the final price being above $800, you will have to pay taxes and import duty when you receive them.

LThomsen

Reaction score
The website detects where you are and it automatically subtracts the VAT. So if you are in the US, for example, then what you are seeing is the price excluding VAT. However, the final price being above $800, you will have to pay taxes and import duty when you receive them.
I believe sb will pay the taxes and import duty for us clients. EG does the same.

unprocessed

Reaction score
How generally easy is it to make a return to GG if you’re in the US? Are they strict about sending photos/ no creases, etc? Just worried about size and not fitting.

sforum1

Reaction score
I believe sb will pay the taxes and import duty for us clients. EG does the same.
Actually you are correct, prices shown do include import taxes so what you pay at checkout is your final price

unprocessed

Reaction score
Just placed an order for the RTW Hayes in vintage rioja, TG73 last. Will take a few months since they don't have my size in stock. I was hesitating a bit because a lot of the photos online of the same shoe don't look that great too me, maybe the result of poor angles and not being freshly polished/having a mirror shine.

I think the Medallion photos (right) look a million times better than The Rake photos, and they're the same exact shoes!

gaziano-and-girling-rioja-hayes-vintage-calf-leather-oxford-shoe-2.jpg
DSC_7761.jpg

gaziano-and-girling-rioja-hayes-vintage-calf-leather-oxford-shoe-6.jpg
DSC_7758.jpg

sforum1

Reaction score
Just placed an order for the RTW Hayes in vintage rioja, TG73 last. Will take a few months since they don't have my size in stock. I was hesitating a bit because a lot of the photos online of the same shoe don't look that great too me, maybe the result of poor angles and not being freshly polished/having a mirror shine.

I think the Medallion photos (right) look a million times better than The Rake photos, and they're the same exact shoes!

View attachment 1503042 View attachment 1503045

View attachment 1503048 View attachment 1503049
I've noticed in some recent pics of recently made shoes from G&G that they don't trim the outsole as much as they used to and it's protruding when looking at the shoes from the top. I think it looks kinda sloppy. It takes more time to do a detailed job and maybe now they are cutting corners. I personally don't like that.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I've noticed in some recent pics of recently made shoes from G&G that they don't trim the outsole as much as they used to and it's protruding when looking at the shoes from the top. I think it looks kinda sloppy. It takes more time to do a detailed job and maybe now they are cutting corners. I personally don't like that.
Any pics to show what you’re flagging?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads