• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, thank you. St James I is MUCH better IMO than the II. I did not know that they can make it MTO since I did not see on the website.

I have no idea quite frankly who decided and why to change the style. The peak heel counter is another change but that's not what ruined the shoe.

Yes, the SJ I is an option on the website under the MTO section.

Aside from the brogueing on the heel, what other changes did they make?

sforum1

Reaction score
Yes, the SJ I is an option on the website under the MTO section.

Aside from the brogueing on the heel, what other changes did they make?

They changed the "shape of the adelaide" in the front. Pay close attention, even though it's obvious.The first one below if St. James I. The base of the bottle formed is straight on the St. James II while on the St. James I is curved and the bottle overall narrower. Do you see it?
MG_3024.jpg

DSC_7749.jpg

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They changed the "shape of the adelaide" in the front. Pay close attention, even though it's obvious.The first one below if St. James I. The base of the bottle formed is straight on the St. James II while on the St. James I is curved and the bottle overall narrower. Do you see it?
I do, thanks for posting them. Definitely confirms my preference for the SJ I.
]

Chowkin

Reaction score
MG_3024.jpg

DSC_7749.jpg

I think the first pair is also St James II. The photo is taken from Leffot’s blog where, although the shoes are labeled as St James, you can definitely see the peaked counter:

The shoe in your second photo is the second iteration of St James II. G&G widen the bottom of the “U” to make the sides curvier, which they say lends a more bespoke feel.

More photos showing the old vs new St James II:

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
I think the first pair is also St James II. The photo is taken from Leffot’s blog where, although the shoes are labeled as St James, you can definitely see the peaked counter:

The shoe in your second photo is the second iteration of St James II. G&G widen the bottom of the “U” to make the sides curvier, which they say lends a more bespoke feel.

More photos showing the old vs new St James II:

You are absolutely correct. There is an in-between version that had the peaked counter but the face was still the same as St James I. I was just focusing on the 'other difference', besides the peaked counter, between St.James I and St. James II as people know it today.

iyorito

Reaction score
MG_3024.jpg

DSC_7749.jpg
The picture above is St.James1 v1.0. Hence, the vamp design is a bit rounded. The pattern of this is no longer around. v1.0 St.James' cannot be ordered anymore. To avoid confusion at the factory, sadly, all the v1.0 patterns for St.James 1 and 2 had been thrown away.

The factory only has the below, 2.0 patterns, for St.James 1 and 2. The only difference is the peak on the heel cap.

St.James v1.0 and Tavistock are the only models that had been phased out completely.

sforum1

Reaction score
The picture above is St.James1 v1.0. Hence, the vamp design is a bit rounded. The pattern of this is no longer around. v1.0 St.James' cannot be ordered anymore. To avoid confusion at the factory, sadly, all the v1.0 patterns for St.James 1 and 2 had been thrown away.

The factory only has the below, 2.0 patterns, for St.James 1 and 2. The only difference is the peak on the heel cap.

St.James v1.0 and Tavistock are the only models that had been phased out completely.
Wow, thank you. I was actually about to send an email to G&G now to ask them after the member above said that he ordered it. During this whole time I was under the impression that it was not possible to order it, but this discussion gave me some renewed hopes. I was checking the MTO page and indeed, there is a model that's labeled as St. James Vs another that is labeled as St. James II. But by looking at the pics the vamp area is the same. So I thought either they had the wrong pic or they had the wrong name and they meant to say St. James II.

So what you said right now makes sense.

I think St. James II's pattern looks overexaggerated. Something about it that I did not like from day one. V1 seems more balanced.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
I knew it that it would be something up there; was clearly hoping it would be a little cheaper.

I already own 2 pairs and Rota are the best by far. What other brands do you own that you like as much overall or even more than Rota? I would like to try something else next time I spend $500 on pants. I own Zegna and RLPL and, while they are good, Rota is one (or two?) step above.

Also, don't get me wrong. The shoes are amazing too and the fit especially. The overall combo one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew it that it would be something up there; was clearly hoping it would be a little cheaper.

I already own 2 pairs and Rota are the best by far. What other brands do you own that you like as much overall or even more than Rota? I would like to try something else next time I spend $500 on pants. I own Zegna and RLPL and, while they are good, Rota is one (or two?) step above.

Also, don't get me wrong. The shoes are amazing too and the fit especially. The overall combo one of the best I've seen in a long time.

All the Rotas I've purchased (including these) were either on sale or I won through LuxeSwap eBay auctions. I have mix of trouser makers/brands, and actually don't have a favorite. Bill's Khaki's, SuitSupply, Eidos, Theory, and a single pair of Billy Reid are in my regular mix. A few of these I purchased 10-15 years ago; they still fit and are still in good shape, thankfully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads