• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

heelguy

Reaction score
If you are based in UK you could consider factory shops, never tried GG but the CJ one sell seconds (some of these are almost perfect) for half of retail price.
As far as I know GG does not have a factory store unlike EG and CH.

Braid

Reaction score
As far as I know GG does not have a factory store unlike EG and CH.
They do not have a store but I heard is possible to call them and organise a visit and access seconds/samples.

Never tried with GG but I did it with Alfred Sargent.

ant922599

Reaction score
@soto_nw

I started with J Fitz shoes, and got to know Justin (and Simon) well whilst he was in London.

I still have a number of his shoes (I have a soft spot for them) and, I thought it might help you to know, my best fitting last of his is the LPB. Interestingly, I cant wear the NGT at all and bought and sold 2 x Corliss IIs unworn as a result!

I take UK7 in LPB; but UK8 E in G&G, including Deco. I have tried G&G F in Deco and whilst it's slightly better across the toes, the top line is too loose.

I dont have any experience with the classic range I'm afraid.

Always bear in mind the type of shoe matters as well when it comes to fit...wholecuts generally being loosest for any given size.

Happy to share more J Fitz v G&G fitting experience if it would help?!

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today in GG, st James in GG06 last.
739B75FE-D435-4BBB-AB3F-4CA7FF3747BF.jpeg
775032B3-F282-4D8D-98EA-2ED25193C9EA.jpeg

soto_nw

Reaction score
@soto_nw

I started with J Fitz shoes, and got to know Justin (and Simon) well whilst he was in London.

I still have a number of his shoes (I have a soft spot for them) and, I thought it might help you to know, my best fitting last of his is the LPB. Interestingly, I cant wear the NGT at all and bought and sold 2 x Corliss IIs unworn as a result!

I take UK7 in LPB; but UK8 E in G&G, including Deco. I have tried G&G F in Deco and whilst it's slightly better across the toes, the top line is too loose.

I dont have any experience with the classic range I'm afraid.

Always bear in mind the type of shoe matters as well when it comes to fit...wholecuts generally being loosest for any given size.

Happy to share more J Fitz v G&G fitting experience if it would help?!

That is helpful. Interesting that you go a full size up. I have boots in NGT UK 8 from J Fitz and they fit well and are roomy without being big. Have also tried on NGT oxfords and they fit well. I fit an 8 UK E in most all shoes, except Carmina Simpson (8.5 UK), and the 9 E G&G Wholecuts felt like they fit a bit roomy. I have a fairly slim, low-volume foot. I guess I won't know until I know sort of thing (I'll DM you, if that's ok).

iyorito

Reaction score
Can you clarify please? When has G&G ever been produced in Asia—I thought their production is in Northampton? And you say Foster’s factory is closing, but then you say that they are hiring people from G&G? How does a closed factory hire people?

What is the story behind G&G no longer supplying Mehra?

Someone in earlier post mentioned G&G may go on and produce in Asia which is a complete nonsense. G&G had been in Kettering, Northamptonshire from the get go and no plans to move anywhere.

Foster and Sons, had to close down their factory in Northants and had to fire all of the 14 people in their factory. The Japanese trading company, which owned half of the Foster and Son's factory begged G&G to hire some people that they had fired and G&G hired two out of 14. Hence, G&G is not closing down. Foster and Sons closed down.

As for Mehra, ask Mehra.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought F&S closes their factory temporarily due to Covid? Or is it for good?

In the Skoaktiebolaget thread, I think Leaves mentioned that he will reach out to them to order a couple more style this year just couple days ago.

Someone in earlier post mentioned G&G may go on and produce in Asia which is a complete nonsense. G&G had been in Kettering, Northamptonshire from the get go and no plans to move anywhere.

Foster and Sons, had to close down their factory in Northants and had to fire all of the 14 people in their factory. The Japanese trading company, which owned half of the Foster and Son's factory begged G&G to hire some people that they had fired and G&G hired two out of 14. Hence, G&G is not closing down. Foster and Sons closed down.

As for Mehra, ask Mehra.

nevaeh

Reaction score

As for Mehra, ask Mehra.

Thank you for your reply! I was probably in shock when I read about G&G and Asia and didn’t quite process the rest of what you said. Sad about Foster and Sons. Your reply is helpful. Thank you!

ant922599

Reaction score

You might be referring to my post. I didn't say they were, I was just speculating on how they may choose to approach their planned expansion in the Asian market.

With the rise of all the 'new' makers in that region, and their pricing, I thought it might be difficult for G&G to make huge progress because of their pricing. The difference is labour and infrastructure costs of the UK vs these other markets.

I therefore speculated as to whether they may look for an additional manufacturing base in that market, for that market - not to replace the UK. Making shoes in Northampton at a high £ cost, and then shipping to Asia, surely won't give them much pricing flexibility to compete with locally made, equally high end shoes.

Hell, I've just completed an in -person MTO order at Savile Row and, with taps and trees, its £1,800. That's c.$2,000 dollars and it could be argued the materials are the same but the making is potentially superior in some aspects in asia.

And FWIW, I don't mean any offence to anybody by referring to 'asia' in general terms - I appreciate there are lots of places and cultures in that general geographic area.

iyorito

Reaction score
You might be referring to my post. I didn't say they were, I was just speculating on how they may choose to approach their planned expansion in the Asian market.

With the rise of all the 'new' makers in that region, and their pricing, I thought it might be difficult for G&G to make huge progress because of their pricing. The difference is labour and infrastructure costs of the UK vs these other markets.

I therefore speculated as to whether they may look for an additional manufacturing base in that market, for that market - not to replace the UK. Making shoes in Northampton at a high £ cost, and then shipping to Asia, surely won't give them much pricing flexibility to compete with locally made, equally high end shoes.

Hell, I've just completed an in -person MTO order at Savile Row and, with taps and trees, its £1,800. That's c.$2,000 dollars and it could be argued the materials are the same but the making is potentially superior in some aspects in asia.

And FWIW, I don't mean any offence to anybody by referring to 'asia' in general terms - I appreciate there are lots of places and cultures in that general geographic area.

I'm ethnically Japanese and not offended by any means. Japanese consumers, for example, appreciate G&G because the shoes are made in England. It carries huge importance.

There is a fabulous small workshop called Joe Works in Tokyo that produce Goodyear Welted Shoes however their capacity is very small. I have seen some works of Chinese artisans who make fabulous fully handmade shoes. However, they are scattered all over China, a few in Guangdong province, one near Beijing and some others. Hence, they cannot produce high quantity consistently to one brand. I think if somebody is brave enough to drop 3 million quid, an interesting factory can be established in Japan. However, skilled artisans must be gathered and they must be trained by our artisans from England for a good period of time. Foster did that in Northants but could not survive for 3 years where there were skilled artisans in the area. It would be extremely difficult to establish a production point in Asia unless money is no object.

In any case, raison d'etre of G&G is to contribute to the British economy and retain the artisans and craft in Northamptonshire.

lightseason

Reaction score
They do not have a store but I heard is possible to call them and organise a visit and access seconds/samples.

Never tried with GG but I did it with Alfred Sargent.
Yeah, I bought 3 pairs from the factory last Nov when I visited there for the bespoke second measurement, the "store" is actually just their storage room, not too much available, at least for my size, the worst part is that credit card is not accepted and cash only, but the factory tour by Tony was definitely great.

Last edited:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an actual written source or article about the foster factory closure?’

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads