• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

iyorito

Reaction score
Assume classic line as F width.

G&G no longer supplies Mehra.

G&G will not be produced in Asia. As Foster's factory, which closed down on the 14th Sep, the Japanese owner of Foster's factory reached out to G&G to hire a few people that were made redundant and hired 2 people. If anything G&G's production is expanding.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Assume classic line as F width.

G&G no longer supplies Mehra.

G&G will not be produced in Asia. As Foster's factory, which closed down on the 14th Sep, the Japanese owner of Foster's factory reached out to G&G to hire a few people that were made redundant and hired 2 people. If anything G&G's production is expanding.

Can you clarify please? When has G&G ever been produced in Asia—I thought their production is in Northampton? And you say Foster’s factory is closing, but then you say that they are hiring people from G&G? How does a closed factory hire people?

What is the story behind G&G no longer supplying Mehra?

dench127

Reaction score
Can you clarify please? When has G&G ever been produced in Asia—I thought their production is in Northampton? And you say Foster’s factory is closing, but then you say that they are hiring people from G&G? How does a closed factory hire people?

What is the story behind G&G no longer supplying Mehra?
I think what he’s saying is that GG’s production will remain in the UK and not go to Asia and that GG was reached out to by Foster to give former Foster employee jobs.

soto_nw

Reaction score
My second pair of GGs has arrived today. I've bought these oxfords in the Round last GG06 new from another member of the forum.

Really nice, fine leather. Definitely more snug than the Classic line, which was my first pair (semi brogue). Fit is fairly good. My instep is quite high, so you do see a V there, but not too bad. Hopefully it will get slightly better with wear. I think the heel could be slightly narrower, but that should get better as the shoes break in. There's a slight gap on the outer side of the topline, but nothing that is bothering me much. Anyway, the fit could be improved, but my budget does not allow me a MTM, go figure a bespoke pair... :D

I've taken a couple of pictures, and also compared these GG06 with the Classic line shoes (Bader S45 semi brogue).

From what I've read over time, and having now tried the GG06 last, I think the TG73 last I'll probably have to take in F width (wide). I won't pull the trigger in the short term anyway, but I think it's a good idea to try them on first at the store or trunk show. Just limits my ability to score a deal like this one...

By the way, I destroyed the original laces when putting these on for the first time. They seemed to be an elastic piece inside an outer "layer". I decided to put the replacements that came with my Classic line and they're a ton better (sturdier).

Anyway, I hope this helps others.

Very nice. Thank you for this, I think by the end of the year, I'm going to take the plunge into the classic line. Tried on a 9E (which should have been an 8.5 E) in TG73 Last - the Sinatra Wholecut - felt a bit roomy and had the laces even more closed than what you have on your Bader's. How much less volume is there in the Regular Line, because it looks like your foot fills it in the regular line quite a bit more?

shoes83

Reaction score
Very nice. Thank you for this, I think by the end of the year, I'm going to take the plunge into the classic line. Tried on a 9E (which should have been an 8.5 E) in TG73 Last - the Sinatra Wholecut - felt a bit roomy and had the laces even more closed than what you have on your Bader's. How much less volume is there in the Regular Line, because it looks like your foot fills it in the regular line quite a bit more?
No problem!

The GG06 hugs my feet - snug, but not too tight in the width and toe box (I have comfortable room to move toes).

The Classic line definitely has plenty of room at the wider part of the foot. I think it could easily be 2-3 millimeters narrower and still be very comfortable. Not saying it's loose, but definitely for those used to a snug fit it will feel quite wide.

Given what you're saying about the Sinatra (beautiful wholecuts, btw), I think you might find the Classic line too wide. Maybe it's worth emailing GG and asking whether you should go half a size down?

soto_nw

Reaction score
No problem!

The GG06 hugs my feet - snug, but not too tight in the width and toe box (I have comfortable room to move toes).

The Classic line definitely has plenty of room at the wider part of the foot. I think it could easily be 2-3 millimeters narrower and still be very comfortable. Not saying it's loose, but definitely for those used to a snug fit it will feel quite wide.

Given what you're saying about the Sinatra (beautiful wholecuts, btw), I think you might find the Classic line too wide. Maybe it's worth emailing GG and asking whether you should go half a size down?

Thanks for the reply.

I did, they suggested sticking with 8.5 E due to length. I suspect the Classic Range will fit 1 mm wider than my Carmina Rain or J Fitzpatrick on the LPB Last (at least in terms of relative width), while being about as close to my foot as J Fitzpatrick because, judging from your pics, the volume distribution seems fairly good. Your pics and description are super helpful.

In fact, now that I think about it, the classic range may fit similar to the LPB Last from J Fitzpatrick since all J Fitzpatrick lasts are based on a bespoke last that G&G made for Justin Fitzpatrick, and the LPB last similarly fits somewhere between an E and F.

nevaeh

Reaction score
I think what he’s saying is that GG’s production will remain in the UK and not go to Asia and that GG was reached out to by Foster to give former Foster employee jobs.

Got it—thank you! Dejecting to hear that the Foster’s factory is closing, as they only recently opened. I assume this is somehow related to COVID?

shoes83

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I did, they suggested sticking with 8.5 E due to length. I suspect the Classic Range will fit 1 mm wider than my Carmina Rain or J Fitzpatrick on the LPB Last (at least in terms of relative width), while being about as close to my foot as J Fitzpatrick because, judging from your pics, the volume distribution seems fairly good. Your pics and description are super helpful.

In fact, now that I think about it, the classic range may fit similar to the LPB Last from J Fitzpatrick since all J Fitzpatrick lasts are based on a bespoke last that G&G made for Justin Fitzpatrick, and the LPB last similarly fits somewhere between an E and F.
Interesting, I didn't know that about J Fitzpatrick. I haven't yet bought anything from the brand.

It makes sense on the lengh. There's some room for maybe going down a size, but not that much. And it would probably mess up where the wider part of your foot would be vs. the wider part of the shoe.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know that about J Fitzpatrick. I haven't yet bought anything from the brand.

It makes sense on the lengh. There's some room for maybe going down a size, but not that much. And it would probably mess up where the wider part of your foot would be vs. the wider part of the shoe.

Yeah, I've stuck around the $400-$475 price point while I build my collection (and frankly it's easier to afford, especially when saving for a wedding, since prior to Covid I was wearing dress shoes everyday for work - though now that my basics are taken care of and I can wait and save I want to move up to G&G and EG).

From J Fitzpatrick I have 2 boots, 2 loafers, and 1 whole cut oxford. I appreciate that many of his shoes maintain a classic look, with a bit of a twist.

shoes83

Reaction score
Yeah, I've stuck around the $400-$475 price point while I build my collection (and frankly it's easier to afford, especially when saving for a wedding, since prior to Covid I was wearing dress shoes everyday for work - though now that my basics are taken care of and I can wait and save I want to move up to G&G and EG).

From J Fitzpatrick I have 2 boots, 2 loafers, and 1 whole cut oxford. I appreciate that many of his shoes maintain a classic look, with a bit of a twist.
Absolutely, you had other priorities and it's not like you're buying poor quality shoes by any stretch of the imagination...

I worn basically AEs for a number of years, all bought directly always on their biggest sales (think ~$250 for Fifth Avenue and McAllister), loafers, etc. Recently I decided to up the game and scoured the internet to find good deals on the brands I wanted to own. I even stopped just lurking here and created an account! :D

I'm breaking into my new shoes (GG, EG, AM, Bontoni and Vass - this last one I might sell since fit is not quite as good for me) around the house. With the addition of a couple of Carlos Santos I'm getting from Noble Shoe (great value) and one more AM in the pipeline, I will be covered once I go back to the office and resume more activities. The problem is that now I keep wanting more and more...

soto_nw

Reaction score
Absolutely, you had other priorities and it's not like you're buying poor quality shoes by any stretch of the imagination...

I worn basically AEs for a number of years, all bought directly always on their biggest sales (think ~$250 for Fifth Avenue and McAllister), loafers, etc. Recently I decided to up the game and scoured the internet to find good deals on the brands I wanted to own. I even stopped just lurking here and created an account! :D

I'm breaking into my new shoes (GG, EG, AM, Bontoni and Vass - this last one I might sell since fit is not quite as good for me) around the house. With the addition of a couple of Carlos Santos I'm getting from Noble Shoe (great value) and one more AM in the pipeline, I will be covered once I go back to the office and resume more activities. The problem is that now I keep wanting more and more...

That's the problem with this hobby and tailoring, there's always 1 more suit/jacket or one more shoe. Though I'd still argue I am buying less, just better (suits as an example, I went from 14 $100-$200 suits from Nordstrom Rack, mostly polyester or cheap wool, to 5 $400-$600 suits of better quality and material). Also, with the higher prices it definitely leads me to be sure that I like the shoe, that I know how I'm going to wear it, and it's often not just an impulse buy. Even if I snatch something on a discount, I've likely been thinking about it for a while.

jirages

Reaction score
My second pair of GGs has arrived today. I've bought these oxfords in the Round last GG06 new from another member of the forum.

Really nice, fine leather. Definitely more snug than the Classic line, which was my first pair (semi brogue). Fit is fairly good. My instep is quite high, so you do see a V there, but not too bad. Hopefully it will get slightly better with wear. I think the heel could be slightly narrower, but that should get better as the shoes break in. There's a slight gap on the outer side of the topline, but nothing that is bothering me much. Anyway, the fit could be improved, but my budget does not allow me a MTM, go figure a bespoke pair... :D

I've taken a couple of pictures, and also compared these GG06 with the Classic line shoes (Bader S45 semi brogue).

From what I've read over time, and having now tried the GG06 last, I think the TG73 last I'll probably have to take in F width (wide). I won't pull the trigger in the short term anyway, but I think it's a good idea to try them on first at the store or trunk show. Just limits my ability to score a deal like this one...

By the way, I destroyed the original laces when putting these on for the first time. They seemed to be an elastic piece inside an outer "layer". I decided to put the replacements that came with my Classic line and they're a ton better (sturdier).

Anyway, I hope this helps others.

Hello, I am trying to find a pair of new oxfords in gg06 since ONE year and scrolling the forum since.
Not tempted at all to order them at full price, even with 20% off nowadays. (4 kids , shyt economy, etc)
Did you get yours at a good price ? (all is relative) and did you find them in the Buy/Sell section ?
I am looking for 7.5 or 8 and no sign of any since long.
there is a US shop selling a few but only huge sizes left
is there a trick to get those for a descent price, or everybody paid full ?

shoes83

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to find a pair of new oxfords in gg06 since ONE year and scrolling the forum since.
Not tempted at all to order them at full price, even with 20% off nowadays. (4 kids , shyt economy, etc)
Did you get yours at a good price ? (all is relative) and did you find them in the Buy/Sell section ?
I am looking for 7.5 or 8 and no sign of any since long.
there is a US shop selling a few but only huge sizes left
is there a trick to get those for a descent price, or everybody paid full ?
Got mine in the mid-US$500, new. Yes, I was lucky that another member had posted one for sale a while ago and it was still available.

My size (12US) is a blessing and a curse, I think - not that much is available compared to other smaller sizes, but there are not as many people looking all the time and ready to pull the trigger.

I think patience is important, and also to look frequently if you're hunting for something. Make sure you check eBay and the sales thread here as well, it's very helpful!

Good luck hunting!

Braid

Reaction score
Thank you v much for your prompt response, really appreciate it
If you are based in UK you could consider factory shops, never tried GG but the CJ one sell seconds (some of these are almost perfect) for half of retail price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics