• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or when someone asks how do you thank them afterwards. Seriously wtf is that? You just spent thousands of dollars on something you don’t even need and you’re asking how do you thank your AD. It’s so messed up right now.
hahaha these are my favorite threads.

ant922599

Reaction score
Good luck @soto_nw - nailing down your size in a new brand can be a painful process so fingers crossed the 8.5UK E works for you!

Do remember the new classic range are slightly less formed, so may fit large ish.

The 20% discount is on MTO and all RTW and no sight of it ending any time soon, but like all things, it surely must at some point!

MTO is helpful as you can pay 50% now and 50% on production of the shoes though, so slightly less painful at the point of ordering ?

soto_nw

Reaction score
Good luck @soto_nw - nailing down your size in a new brand can be a painful process so fingers crossed the 8.5UK E works for you!

Do remember the new classic range are slightly less formed, so may fit large ish.

The 20% discount is on MTO and all RTW and no sight of it ending any time soon, but like all things, it surely must at some point!

MTO is helpful as you can pay 50% now and 50% on production of the shoes though, so slightly less painful at the point of ordering ?

Do most folks size down in classic range, or stick to their normal G&G fit?

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just noticed that Mehra took down most of his Gaziano & Girling inventory, and removed the MTO page.

@gmehra, will you be carrying G&G moving forward? Thanks!

Starlito

Reaction score
Does the choice of the width affects the look of the shoes ?
I am about to choose a St James in either 8,5F or 9E. Anyone ?

I am making this choice considering that my usual size is 8,5 in most makers.
JLP Holt : 8,5 (standard width)
EG 82 : 8,5E (standard)
EG 888 and 808 : 8,5F (large)
Church’s 173 : 8,5F (standard)
StCrispins classic last : 8G (large)

ant922599

Reaction score
I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference by looking at them; but if the F is too big it will eventually start to show on the foot with big creasing (probably).

The St James as a RTW is on the TG73 last, so quite average fitting.

I dont have any experience with EG lasts I'm afraid.

soto_nw

Reaction score
UPDATE: G&G got back to me. They confirmed that it is a 9 E and that WB must have mixed it all up.

Given some of the extra room in the shoe, and this confirmation I am inclined to believe that I am an 8.5 UK E in G&G. The shoe did not feel huge, but was only very softly hugging my foot and I could get the facings to touch without any trouble (with extra room at the ball/pinky toe - felt maybe 2-3 mm wider than my Carmina on Simpson Last).

I returned the shoes to Wilkes Bashford, and let them know that they may have mixed that pair up.

Also confirmed with G&G that if I buy anything in the classic range, that I should start with the 8.5 UK, might be a smidge wider than their normal range, but they said it should work.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: G&G got back to me. They confirmed that it is a 9 E and that WB must have mixed it all up.

Given some of the extra room in the shoe, and this confirmation I am inclined to believe that I am an 8.5 UK E in G&G. The shoe did not feel huge, but was only very softly hugging my foot and I could get the facings to touch without any trouble (with extra room at the ball/pinky toe - felt maybe 2-3 mm wider than my Carmina on Simpson Last).

I returned the shoes to Wilkes Bashford, and let them know that they may have mixed that pair up.

Also confirmed with G&G that if I buy anything in the classic range, that I should start with the 8.5 UK, might be a smidge wider than their normal range, but they said it should work.
I would tend to favor sizing stamped on the shoe instead of box. Glad they got back to you

soto_nw

Reaction score
I would tend to favor sizing stamped on the shoe instead of box. Glad they got back to you

Me too, but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to the retailer. A little surprising that such an error would occur with a high end retailer that seems to pay attention to detail in other areas - but alas, as someone that deals with people a lot in my professions, I should not be surprised by the lengths of human error.

In any case, sizing journey complete, more or less.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too, but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to the retailer. A little surprising that such an error would occur with a high end retailer that seems to pay attention to detail in other areas - but alas, as someone that deals with people a lot in my professions, I should not be surprised by the lengths of human error.

In any case, sizing journey complete, more or less.
Now on to the fun part!

sforum1

Reaction score
Does the choice of the width affects the look of the shoes ?
I am about to choose a St James in either 8,5F or 9E. Anyone ?

I am making this choice considering that my usual size is 8,5 in most makers.
JLP Holt : 8,5 (standard width)
EG 82 : 8,5E (standard)
EG 888 and 808 : 8,5F (large)
Church’s 173 : 8,5F (standard)
StCrispins classic last : 8G (large)
What would you expect the difference to be between 8.5F and 9E? I often hear people say that they should be the same, i.e. if you go down half a size and up in width you should get the same fit, but I doubt that's 100% true.

Does anyone have any experience with this? For example, if I normally wear and I'm familiar with the fit of a 10E, what should I expect if I go to 9.5F? Will it still fit but it will be a little wider, it might actually not fit lengthwise, will it fit almost identical etc?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you expect the difference to be between 8.5F and 9E? I often hear people say that they should be the same, ie if you go down half a size and up in width you should get the same fit, but doubt that's 100% the case.

Does anyone have any experience with this? For example, if I normally wear and I'm familiar with the fit of a 10E, what should I expect if I go to 9.5F?
Similar width, shorter shoe. Works well for elongated lasts.

sforum1

Reaction score
Similar width, shorter shoe. Works well for elongated lasts.
So if 10E is a little tight and you needed a little extra room in the front and in the instep and 10F ends up being a little too big, would 9.5F help at all? Probably not, if anything it might make things even worse since it will now be, in addition to tight, also a little on the short side?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if 10E is a little tight and you needed a little extra room in the front and in the instep and 10F ends up being a little too big, would 9.5F help at all? Probably not, if anything it might make things even worse since it will now be, in addition to tight, also a little on the short side?
Yeah, probably not. IMO, it works best for shoes where you find there is too much space between your toes and front of shoe, but width is good.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My experience is that they don't care - but other people always said they have some experienced sales people - not in my experience - but glad you figured it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads