• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

soto_nw

Reaction score
It's most likely that the shoes are a UK 9E as noted on the tongue of the shoe. I'm not aware of G&G marking anything other than UK sizing on the tongues of shoes. It's odd that the trees are 8.5 b/c I know G&G make trees in every half size, so there should be a 9UK tree which should have been used. Likely there was some confusion with WB marking US sizes on their labels, their system using the 'standard' UK 1 full size down on the printed labels as well (size 8), and then G&G being a brand that actually goes 1/2 size difference between US and UK messing it all up.

To further complicate your future decisions, if you are an 8 UK in other brands where they run a full size down to US (eg you are a true US 9D) then I'd venture this 9E could end up being too big for you once it's broken in because it's really closer to a US 9.5

Yeah, that's what seems so odd. I'm going to wait and see what G&G say. I assume they can get to the bottom of it knowing the seller, seeing the info on the tongue, and seeing the box....I hope at least. The other funny thing is that 8.5 UK shoe trees seem to fill the shoe. When I put them side by side, they're about the same length and when I put the tree in, and feel the shoe, it is being filled up (at least through the vamp, hard to tell over the toe cap since I don't want to apply too much pressure there and ruin it).

If it is confirmed that it is indeed a 9 UK, then I'm more inclined to think that some of the extra room is due to it being a half size too big, and that it might be too big in the long-run as my foot sinks in. As you noted, I tend to be a true 8 UK in most shoes, and even then there's sometimes too much volume in shoes for me. But it's in G&G's hands now to confirm now.

I appreciate everyone's help on this.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have not tried CJ yet, might at some point, but happy with Carmina (we'll see what TLB is like). Though G&G and EG will be shoes that I also get because damn do they look pretty and feel good.
I get I ordered berluti bespoke after all :) just saying at this point it's more about collecting wearable art vs buying nice shoes. at least cheaper than watches in these crazy times.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get I ordered berluti bespoke after all :) just saying at this point it's more about collecting wearable art vs buying nice shoes. at least cheaper than watches in these crazy times.
And the shoe companies/makers are actually happy you’re willing to spend thousand$ to buy their products compared to some watch AD’s who act like it’s a privilege to let you spend $10k with them.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the shoe companies/makers are actually happy you’re willing to spend thousand$ to buy their products compared to some watch AD’s who act like it’s a privilege to let you spend $10k with them.
amen - just go to TRF Rolex threads holy moly - people are frustrated for sure - no Cermit for me:) or imagine G&G would ask you about your purchase history and tell you to buy multiple RTW shoes before you can order a bespoke pair :)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
amen - just go to TRF Rolex threads holy moly - people are frustrated for sure - no Cermit for me:) or imagine G&G would ask you about your purchase history and tell you to buy multiple RTW shoes before you can order a bespoke pair :)
Or when someone asks how do you thank them afterwards. Seriously wtf is that? You just spent thousands of dollars on something you don’t even need and you’re asking how do you thank your AD. It’s so messed up right now.

ant922599

Reaction score
I'm fairly confident you have a UK9 E shoe; and its possible it's not in the original/correct box, or the box is marked up wrong.

The information on the tongue is most likely to be accurate, and as someone mentioned earlier, G&G work in UK sizes.

I've also never known G&G to give a size range on their shoes (ie "8.5-9") but I'm in the UK and maybe US retailers market things differently? Or its historic?

You also have the TG73 last, which isn't renowned as being a 'tight' last, and it's on a calf wholecut - both if these factors will mean the shoe wears quite loose.

You should immediately/instinctively know if you have the correct G&G size for your foot (and accepting the style/type of shoe will also influence the fit, even in the same size).

The fitting you describe sounds like it's too big. You should feel close support around the heel and rear, and, ideally, some toe wriggle room.

For the Sinatra, for you, I would try a UK8E.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is very confusing and a bit of a sore spot for me after getting burned on a pair of C&Js under similar circumstances a bunch of years ago. They should just follow the manufacturer's convention.

That said and a bit late to be asking since I just bought the Thorpes that @nishant listed but does G&G fit about the same as Carmina Simpson in the same marked UK size? That's the sense that I'm getting from @soto_nw if I am following the sizing conversions.
The Thorpe's are on the MH71 last, which i don't find to be as narrow or as low of an instep as Simpson. I think your sizing conversion works out the same bc most size down 0.5 for GG from their US size and size up 0.5 for Simpson from their UK size.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The Thorpe's are on the MH71 last, which i don't find to be as narrow or as low of an instep as Simpson. I think your sizing conversion works out the same bc most size down 0.5 for GG from their US size and size up 0.5 for Simpson from their UK size.

Gotcha, that sounds like it should hopefully be good for me. Thanks for your reply. Also, to be clear, the sizing conversion I was referring to was a dealer specific thing under discussion due to confusion around US and UK markings on a pair of shoes, trees, and boxes.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, that sounds like it should hopefully be good for me. Thanks for your reply. Also, to be clear, the sizing conversion I was referring to was a dealer specific thing under discussion due to confusion around US and UK markings on a pair of shoes, trees, and boxes.
Yes, understood definitely seems that the box was mis-printed. I was specifically replying to your question and I'm sure those boots will work out perfectly for you?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yes, understood definitely seems that the box was mis-printed. I was specifically replying to your question and I'm sure those boots will work out perfectly for you?

Ah, my bad, thanks for confirming. I sure hope so... I managed to buy my first pair of galways and my first pair of thorpes within 24hrs of each other. An expensive 24hrs. Will need to offload some lesser pairs that arent getting worn. :)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, my bad, thanks for confirming. I sure hope so... I managed to buy my first pair of galways and my first pair of thorpes within 24hrs of each other. An expensive 24hrs. Will need to offload some lesser pairs that arent getting worn. :)
It's a slippery slope... very slippery. Which Galway's did you buy?

soto_nw

Reaction score
I'm fairly confident you have a UK9 E shoe; and its possible it's not in the original/correct box, or the box is marked up wrong.

The information on the tongue is most likely to be accurate, and as someone mentioned earlier, G&G work in UK sizes.

I've also never known G&G to give a size range on their shoes (ie "8.5-9") but I'm in the UK and maybe US retailers market things differently? Or its historic?

You also have the TG73 last, which isn't renowned as being a 'tight' last, and it's on a calf wholecut - both if these factors will mean the shoe wears quite loose.

You should immediately/instinctively know if you have the correct G&G size for your foot (and accepting the style/type of shoe will also influence the fit, even in the same size).

The fitting you describe sounds like it's too big. You should feel close support around the heel and rear, and, ideally, some toe wriggle room.

For the Sinatra, for you, I would try a UK8E.

Thanks. Hard to know instinctively since I've not worn them and can't readily compare sizes. I could tell quickly if I had a 2-3 shoes in half-size increments, because then I'd know how much reduction between shoes.

With that said, my gut says these might be smidge too big as they could probably hug my foot a bit closer. Still waiting to hear from G&G, but if they confirm this is 9 UK (and they probably are), I'm inclined to believe that I should be a true 8.5 UK in G&G. At a minimum this makes me feel more comfortable purchasing and 8.5 UK in their classic range (especially at 20% discount - might buy a pair before the year is done).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads