• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

soto_nw

Reaction score
I would wear them on the carpet for a bit and see how the fit feels after 30 minutes or so. I can't speak to sizing since G&G is so uncomfortable for me that I can't really wear them. I am sure G&G NYC can answer your sizing questions.

Don't want to keep them on too long for risk of creasing and being unable to return them.

And yes, I emailed G&G to ask if they can offer some clarity as to what size the shoe actually is. I sent them a picture of the shoe, and the tongue so they can know exactly where I bought them so they can offer clarity.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to keep them on too long for risk of creasing and being unable to return them.

And yes, I emailed G&G to ask if they can offer some clarity as to what size the shoe actually is. I sent them a picture of the shoe, and the tongue so they can know exactly where I bought them so they can offer clarity.
Got it that should clarify it - haven't done the math so curious how much cheaper is this model when ordered from the website/ the UK?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With shoe trees it's about the same - $1550-ish
closer to $1.4k I guess - 940 pounds plus 155 pounds for the trees. If you like them I would not go through the hassle and return them unless you want a different model of course. Seems like only MTO order quotes from W&B made me question their pricing.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Wilkes routinely marks G&G with the equivalent US size, a half size up from the UK size.
Thus my UK9.5s are marked 10 from WB.
I just checked the size and label on a pair of Cambridges in mole suede I bought from them a few years ago.
G&G's leather is remarkably soft, and the wholecut Sinatra feels good right out of the box.
I've found that the shoes gradually loosen somewhat over time--a slightly thicker sock accommodates the difference. My Sinatras are from June 2011 and I wear them regularly.

That's helpful. So you're experience is that the Sinatra might loosen up a bit, but not much. I just find it interesting, because I found with Carmina and other brands that the shoes loosen up quite a bit, but it sounds like your experience is that G&G stays relatively close to how they feel out of the box?

Just to clarify, does the tongue on your shoe from WB have the US size, while the box have both the US and UK Size? For example, the tongue on my pair say 9, but the box has 8 1/2 E written on it.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Wilkes routinely marks G&G with the equivalent US size, a half size up from the UK size.
Thus my UK9.5s are marked 10 from WB.
I just checked the size and label on a pair of Cambridges in mole suede I bought from them a few years ago.
G&G's leather is remarkably soft, and the wholecut Sinatra feels good right out of the box.
I've found that the shoes gradually loosen somewhat over time--a slightly thicker sock accommodates the difference. My Sinatras are from June 2011 and I wear them regularly.

That is very confusing and a bit of a sore spot for me after getting burned on a pair of C&Js under similar circumstances a bunch of years ago. They should just follow the manufacturer's convention.

That said and a bit late to be asking since I just bought the Thorpes that @nishant listed but does G&G fit about the same as Carmina Simpson in the same marked UK size? That's the sense that I'm getting from @soto_nw if I am following the sizing conversions.

soto_nw

Reaction score
That is very confusing and a bit of a sore spot for me after getting burned on a pair of C&Js under similar circumstances a bunch of years ago. They should just follow the manufacturer's convention.

That said and a bit late to be asking since I just bought the Thorpes that @nishant listed but does G&G fit about the same as Carmina Simpson in the same marked UK size? That's the sense that I'm getting from @soto_nw if I am following the sizing conversions.

If these are indeed an 8.5 UK, I'd say the closest fit of my current shoes are my Carmina on the Simpson Last. Out of the box they feel about the about the same as my 8.5 UK Carmina on the Simpson Last after 1 year of wear (though like I said, just a smidge wider, maybe 1-1.5mm).

shrink1061

Reaction score
@dauster UPDATE (also @shrink1061 since we briefly spoke about it on the Carmina thread)

Got the G&G Sinatra from Wilkes Bradford. 1) they are beautiful (my fiancee almost said keep them because even she was impressed, then remembered we have a wedding to save for - which will hopefully still happen by the end of next year as originally planned), and 2) I'm confused.

The shoe fits, well, interestingly. It's not snug, like my usual shoes when i first buy them. I'd say it already fits about as well as my Carmina shoes on the Simpson Last (maybe a tad bit more room) and my Cobbler Union whole cut (my two comfiest shoes). It doesn't feel loose, nor like it snuggly fits my foot. I know people tend to describe things such as "fits like a glove", but this fits more like a gentle hug right out of the gate. Unsure if that's just because of the added structure, or if I should seek a more snug fit.

Just an interesting first experience and wondering how normal this sounds. For example, with prolonged wear, do G&G loosen up a lot, if so might this feel loose at that point? Or do G&G generally stay the same. For example, my Carmina SIMPSON last shoe felt quite snug at first, but now is super comfy and has more than ample room.

Now the confusing part. The tongue of the shoe say 9E, but the box and shoe tree say 8.5 E UK (I bought it as 9 US from the retailer, which they claim is an 8.5 UK). I emailed G&G about this, but wondering if that's a real discrepancy, or just a way for them to identify the US size for retailers here in the states. Has anyone else experienced this?

in general a shoe will only stretch as much as it needs to. If the fit is loose you won’t be straining the leather and it has no reason to stretch, but a tight shoe will give over time.

my impression with my first pair was they were a comfortable fit, but I very much felt like my foot was being held and hugged by every part of the shoe equally. It felt very right but, to me, not loose in any way, it was a precise fit. I use precise rather than snug as snug suggests tight which they weren’t. I wouldn’t want my gazianos to be any other size. My only other shoes with such precise fit are crockett handgrades and vass K last. Suggesting my foot prefers slim waists, tightly clipped heel cups and a longer front section.

Gaziano Should mark both sizes. Look in the tongue of the shoe. It should say 8.5-9 which in G&G terms means 8.5UK and 9US. Though in reality they are 8UK.

mine are marked 7.5-8 and I’m a 7/41 in pretty much every other shoe.

id have more gazianos but it’s hard to justify their current retail price when carmina, tlb and even alfred Sargent manage 90% of the shoe for 30% of the cost. A new St James is what £1100 these days where an AS moore (which looks almost Indistinguishable and fits similarly) is £430.

let us know how you get on, but they look decent fit wise based on pics. You have a little wiggle room on the facings in case of stretch.

soto_nw

Reaction score
in general a shoe will only stretch as much as it needs to. If the fit is loose you won’t be straining the leather and it has no reason to stretch, but a tight shoe will give over time.

my impression with my first pair was they were a comfortable fit, but I very much felt like my foot was being held and hugged by every part of the shoe equally. It felt very right but, to me, not loose in any way, it was a precise fit. I use precise rather than snug as snug suggests tight which they weren’t. I wouldn’t want my gazianos to be any other size. My only other shoes with such precise fit are crockett handgrades and vass K last. Suggesting my foot prefers slim waists, tightly clipped heel cups and a longer front section.

Gaziano Should mark both sizes. Look in the tongue of the shoe. It should say 8.5-9 which in G&G terms means 8.5UK and 9US. Though in reality they are 8UK.

mine are marked 7.5-8 and I’m a 7/41 in pretty much every other shoe.

id have more gazianos but it’s hard to justify their current retail price when carmina, tlb and even alfred Sargent manage 90% of the shoe for 30% of the cost. A new St James is what £1100 these days where an AS moore (which looks almost Indistinguishable and fits similarly) is £430.

let us know how you get on, but they look decent fit wise based on pics. You have a little wiggle room on the facings in case of stretch.

Interesting, both tongues just say 9 E, box has the retail sticker with 9M and 8M AND handwritten in silver pen it has 8 1/2 E (presumably UK), and shoe trees are 8.5 UK. Hence the confusion, though hopefully G&G clarifies.

Unfortunately, "the fiancee" suggests that I return them, and put the money towards our wedding fund (she wants to be responsible and stick to my original plan of returning these). Though given that she watched me walk carefully with them on carpet, she said I will not be held liable (by her) if they don't accept the return.

On fit, I think precise fit probably defines it best. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on in terms of the lacing (most other shoes are either a bit tight and stretch over time, 8 UK, or are too loose 8.5 UK). They comfortably support my arch, and I've never had a pair fit so closely to my ankle. Toes have ample room. Suppose I can potentially chalk up extra roominess to the fact that they are whole cuts. Seems like 8.5 UK on G&G it is (again assuming it is an 8.5 UK and not a 9 as the tongue suggests, silly non-universal sizing conventions)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, both tongues just say 9 E, box has the retail sticker with 9M and 8M AND handwritten in silver pen it has 8 1/2 E (presumably UK), and shoe trees are 8.5 UK. Hence the confusion, though hopefully G&G clarifies.

Unfortunately, "the fiancee" suggests that I return them, and put the money towards our wedding fund (she wants to be responsible and stick to my original plan of returning these). Though given that she watched me walk carefully with them on carpet, she said I will not be held liable (by her) if they don't accept the return.

On fit, I think precise fit probably defines it best. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on in terms of the lacing (most other shoes are either a bit tight and stretch over time, 8 UK, or are too loose 8.5 UK). They comfortably support my arch, and I've never had a pair fit so closely to my ankle. Toes have ample room. Suppose I can potentially chalk up extra roominess to the fact that they are whole cuts. Seems like 8.5 UK on G&G it is (again assuming it is an 8.5 UK and not a 9 as the tongue suggests, silly non-universal sizing conventions)
not sure what anybody can add they either fit or they don't :)- at this point in my life I ONLY buy shoes if they feel comfortable immediately otherwise I pass. I own too many shoes and also made too many buys thinking they will fit fine but then they don't and they collect dust.

soto_nw

Reaction score
not sure what anybody can add they either fit or they don't :)- at this point in my life I ONLY buy shoes if they feel comfortable immediately otherwise I pass. I own too many shoes and also made too many buys thinking they will fit fine but then they don't and they collect dust.

On fit, these seem to be just right. Luckily, except for one of my first purchases (a 9 UK Meermin Linea maestro, which were too big), I've not had a pair that did not fit at all.

Really the only reason I'm returning them is because I really do have other priorities (said wedding), and this was mostly to nail down sizing. Just hoping to get clarity on the shoe's actual size, for any future purchases from G&G (likely some point next year).

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On fit, these seem to be just right. Luckily, except for one of my first purchases (a 9 UK Meermin Linea maestro, which were too big), I've not had a pair that did not fit at all.

Really the only reason I'm returning them is because I really do have other priorities (said wedding), and this was mostly to nail down sizing. Just hoping to get clarity on the shoe's actual size, for any future purchases from G&G (likely some point next year).
makes sense, that being said and knowing that this is the G&G thread I feel there are CJ (Alex model) that are very similar at a much cheaper price point: https://www.crockettandjones.com/alex-black-calf/

I really think nobody on this earth needs to buy "better" shoes than CJ - for me afterwards it is an investment with diminishing returns - but where is the fun in that? :)

JayBreezy99

Reaction score
Does GandG offer expedited ordering? In other words, do they offer a shorter run time on MTO shoes for a fee of course?

papado

Reaction score

It's most likely that the shoes are a UK 9E as noted on the tongue of the shoe. I'm not aware of G&G marking anything other than UK sizing on the tongues of shoes. It's odd that the trees are 8.5 b/c I know G&G make trees in every half size, so there should be a 9UK tree which should have been used. Likely there was some confusion with WB marking US sizes on their labels, their system using the 'standard' UK 1 full size down on the printed labels as well (size 8), and then G&G being a brand that actually goes 1/2 size difference between US and UK messing it all up.

To further complicate your future decisions, if you are an 8 UK in other brands where they run a full size down to US (eg you are a true US 9D) then I'd venture this 9E could end up being too big for you once it's broken in because it's really closer to a US 9.5

soto_nw

Reaction score
makes sense, that being said and knowing that this is the G&G thread I feel there are CJ (Alex model) that are very similar at a much cheaper price point: https://www.crockettandjones.com/alex-black-calf/

I really think nobody on this earth needs to buy "better" shoes than CJ - for me afterwards it is an investment with diminishing returns - but where is the fun in that? :)

Have not tried CJ yet, might at some point, but happy with Carmina (we'll see what TLB is like). Though G&G and EG will be shoes that I also get because damn do they look pretty and feel good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads