• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long post. A few months ago I bought a pair of Sinatra’s on EBay. When they arrived, it turned out they really needed a resole. Not entirely unexpected. What was surprising was that they very . . . boring. For some reason the oak color was just not popping. So that’s when I hatched the idea to have theresoled and then I would strip, dye and patina the shoes myself in a racing green and black patina. The results with various steps are below:

Resole by Bedo’s
View attachment 1355775 View attachment 1355777 View attachment 1355778 View attachment 1355779 View attachment 1355780

Dyeing process and finishing.
View attachment 1355781 View attachment 1355782 View attachment 1355783 View attachment 1355784 View attachment 1355785 View attachment 1355786 View attachment 1355787

how much did that cost you? How much did the shoes cost you to begin with? I’m guessing it cost more to patina / resole than it did the shoes. That said, probably still less than a mto from g&g. I wonder if g&g would repatina a pair of shoes.

Iadbound

Reaction score
The shoes were $400 on eBay. The resole was about $425 (can't remember the exact figure as I had two pairs of shoes in at the same time). I did the patina myself. Supplies were probably $50. So maybe $850-$900. Definitely less than an MTO from G&G. Not exactly a great bargain, but fun to do anyway.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Does any one have experience with Bader from the classic collection?
Interested in insights about fit, craftsmanship, quality of materials etc.

PMA

Reaction score
IMG_4237.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4260.jpg

Joyce. Square Deco Last. Alligator detail

Starlito

Reaction score
Does any one have experience with Bader from the classic collection?
Interested in insights about fit, craftsmanship, quality of materials etc.
Hello,

I am interested in that too (Bader are nice). Anyone ?

By the way, I am trying to decide which size I should order for my first pair of G&G (right now I am torn between Rotschild and St James II) and I need advice.

> I am a size 8,5 UK with Church’s Consul (very comfortable), John Lobb City II both in regular width
> I am a size 8,5 UK with Edward Green Inverness (last 888), Asquith (last 888) and Walcott (last 808) but in width F (regular being E). They still feel a bit tight.
> I am a regular size 8 with Santoni "Moore" and Trickers "Bourton".

Should I order a size 8,5 or 9 ?

Many thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

Iadbound

Reaction score
The G&G's that I have run slimmer overall than the Edward Green models I have. For example, my EG Chelsea at 10E, 82 Last is a little snug for me, especially on my right foot (big toe joint and width a little bit). A 10E in G&G (TG73 or MH71) means breaking out the shoe stretcher for the toe box. So you might go a little wider 10F or ask G&G to add more space where you think you might need it. Thus 8,5 UK, but maybe G width. You can talk it through with G&G too. They are very helpful.

Easy choice on first style, Saint James II. It is, to me, the definition of G&G.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads