• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@clt could you please upload a straight on picture I don't know if I have ever seen a gg06 lasted thorpe. I wanted to see the toe shape. TIA
Here’s the pair I own on the GG06 last. Purchased from another member.
2C1E2A5F-F709-439A-B10C-A4F1F923ED89.jpeg
8EEA47FD-B811-498F-999D-B4FE00BD3B10.jpeg

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are doing this promotion every year now, aren’t they? Not that I complain, obviously :)

I haven't seen an MTO-fee-waived promo for a while (maybe early 2018?). As tempting as the G&G's promos are, the prices have been jacked up so high in the the last two-three years, I cannot see myself purchasing directly from the company itself anymore. (I bought my three most recent pairs used from eBay auctions or through a seller here.)

We'll see, the promotion lasts until 10 February, maybe I'll break down...

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen an MTO-fee-waived promo for a while (maybe early 2018?). As tempting as the G&G's promos are, the prices have been jacked up so high in the the last two-three years, I cannot see myself purchasing directly from the company itself anymore. (I bought my three most recent pairs used from eBay auctions or through a seller here.)

I see. The thing is I need G-width, so MTO is pretty much my only option for G&G :/

ixk

Reaction score
Is it worth getting the 'cheap' G&Gs? 1000 GBP seems a bit high for me, for machine-welted shoes.

I don't see any info on the differences between the two beyond the outsole.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shameless Plug - Size 11F Gable Suede, I am selling on eBay. Let me know if you win 5% discount if you message me on style forum & we just cancel the ebay transaction / complete directly through PayPal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283730344211

papado

Reaction score
Is it worth getting the 'cheap' G&Gs? 1000 GBP seems a bit high for me, for machine-welted shoes.

I don't see any info on the differences between the two beyond the outsole.

I can't comment on differences but for me the whole reason I liked GG was the finishing and details which rules out the 'lower-end' models they released. There are plenty of other options at that price point (1k+) which affords you more choices and finishing details.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need your guy's help with G&G - I am tempted to order an Antibes loafer and an Urban Commando given no MTO fee for the next month. Since EG is readily available for me they suggested to try on the 82 last and 888 lasts which is closest to the KN14 loafer last from G&G. Is that true?
They also said that they Urban Commando does not have a specified last given that it's MTO but I have a hard time believing that they don't have a standard last since we are not talking full bespoke. Any suggestions of lasts from other makers that I can try for the Urban Commando.

Also, non of the regular sized UK11 that I have tried on from G&G even fit me at all. Way too tight and narrow - wasn't even close to being a good fit. Never tried the Antibes though. The models I tried on were the Uppingham, Capri, Chester, Carnegie and Sinatra.

The Carmina rain last fits pretty well in regular E and UK11.

On a side note, I am not sure how much I trust the G&G guy I have been emailing with since I had to explain to him what a "fitting/ trial shoe" is.

bootyboy

Reaction score
Need your guy's help with G&G - I am tempted to order an Antibes loafer and an Urban Commando given no MTO fee for the next month. Since EG is readily available for me they suggested to try on the 82 last and 888 lasts which is closest to the KN14 loafer last from G&G. Is that true?
They also said that they Urban Commando does not have a specified last given that it's MTO but I have a hard time believing that they don't have a standard last since we are not talking full bespoke. Any suggestions of lasts from other makers that I can try for the Urban Commando.

Also, non of the regular sized UK11 that I have tried on from G&G even fit me at all. Way too tight and narrow - wasn't even close to being a good fit. Never tried the Antibes though. The models I tried on were the Uppingham, Capri, Chester, Carnegie and Sinatra.

The Carmina rain last fits pretty well in regular E and UK11.

On a side note, I am not sure how much I trust the G&G guy I have been emailing with since I had to explain to him what a "fitting/ trial shoe" is.
I am curious to see what you decide as I was also debating getting the Urban Commando through this promotion (not sure of what last i would go with).

Iadbound

Reaction score

. . .

Can't speak to all of your questions, but I believe the Urban Commando was originally introduced with the Deco line (not 100% sure) and built on the Deco Square. Here's a link I found: .

Also, see this video:

Not sure who you are emailing with, but Dean has been helping me via email, and obviously he has a great feel for this process. Suggest you reach out to him or the Savile Row store.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads