• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

twinpeaks

Reaction score
yes, I know this is totally off-topic in the context of the recent history of this thread, but I ask that you spare a bit of your time to answer a straightforward question from a SF newbie, which I believe may be of use to other people also

I have several pairs of RTW EGs. So I have that experience under my belt.
I have handled a couple of pairs of RTW G&Gs, but have yet to buy a pair and experience how it 'evolves'.

Can you give me your top reasons as to why I should venture into G&G land (please note that a pronounced fiddle back waist does little for me; as such, that differentiator can be left aside) apart from the variety aspect

Many Thanks

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dood. Look at them.

I hate to look like I'm trashing GG. I really don't want to. Just stick with what you do well pleez. Ironically those sneakers seem to be similar in general shape to the Arran, which is currently my favorite bewt.

fugg it . . . . trash the ugly bastids away
sartorial splender said it best but go ahead & show off

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yes, I know this is totally off-topic in the context of the recent history of this thread, but I ask that you spare a bit of your time to answer a straightforward question from a SF newbie, which I believe may be of use to other people also
I have  several pairs of RTW EGs. So I have that experience under my belt.
I have handled a couple of pairs of RTW G&Gs, but have yet to buy a pair and experience how it 'evolves'.
Can you give me your top reasons as to why I should venture into G&G land (please note that a pronounced fiddle back waist does little for me; as such, that differentiator can be left aside) apart from the variety aspect
Many Thanks

well, as far as design goes, they make some outstanding shoes, but so do many other top shelf shoe makers, and to each their own. i will say though, that my GGs are without question the most comfortable shoes i own. they feel better than most tennis shoes i have owned. also, they are GGs man, what else do you need to know. amirite guys? AMIRITE!

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yourite Stitchy!

(This here koolaid sure tastes good!)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yourite Stitchy!

(This here koolaid sure tastes good!)

INORITE!!! TASTIEST KOOLAID IN ALL THE LAND!!!

srs tho, they are so comfy. but that depends on each persons foot shape and the shoe last.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
INORITE!!! TASTIEST KOOLAID IN ALL THE LAND!!!

srs tho, they are so comfy. but that depends on each persons foot shape and the shoe last.

while you're on the subjikt. what would work for G&G heel slip ? PLEASE help

Last edited:

twinpeaks

Reaction score
well, as far as design goes, they make some outstanding shoes, but so do many other top shelf shoe makers, and to each their own. i will say though, that my GGs are without question the most comfortable shoes i own. they feel better than most tennis shoes i have owned. also, they are GGs man, what else do you need to know. amirite guys? AMIRITE!
Txs for providing an answer. I will be truthful and say it is not very useful to me personally, since as you will understand comfort is a very personal thing, so it is not something i can use as a diferentiator. In any case you took the time to answer and i appreciate that

It seems to me that some of these appreciation threads become small fan clubs where the same people keep talking to each other, and questions from people outside of the circle are not welcome; which i think is a shame

hopefully i am wrong

Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok here's my shoe haul,just got delivered! wife is not happy about this but hey yolo right? My gg
3yneby6y.jpg
e4y8agu4.jpg
maneduty.jpg
je3uqavy.jpg
rasusu4a.jpg
4ugujeqe.jpg
a6y4ura4.jpg

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems to me that some of these appreciation threads become small fan clubs where the same people keep talking to each other, and questions from people outside of the circle are not welcome; which i think is a shame

hopefully i am wrong

I don't think the bolded statement is fair, while most cannot logically articulate their choice of GG over other comparable brands, this GG thread is certainly open to questions. A more knowledge member might be able to give you a more substantial answer (given that they have both EG and GG brands to compare).

On my part, i like the combination of solid English shoe making with Italian ascetics. While i do plan to pick up a couple pairs from EG & JL, there are just too many GG models that i want.

In the end either GG, EG, or JL, i don't think you can go wrong.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eddie - GREAT kops. :slayer:

while you're on the subjikt. what would work for G&G heel slip ?  PLEASE help

proper size shoes? :p

Txs for providing an answer. I will be truthful and say it is not very useful to me  personally, since as you will understand comfort is a very personal thing, so it is not something i can use as a diferentiator. In any case you took the time to answer and i appreciate that
hopefully i am wrong

while i understand where you are coming from, i think that the people in this thread, and yes, it is mostly the same group of fans, are more than welcoming of newcomers. the whole idea would be to spread the appreciation of the brand to others.

it is not really something that is easily expressed. certain people have an affinity towards GG designs and lasts, and the shoes they make and the options they provide. im no expert, but the GG MTO program is relatively affordable compared to regular RTW pricing, and im not sure how many other makers offer that, maybe they do, i honestly do not know.

the GG aesthetic is something some people enjoy and some vehemently do not. i dont think anyone should have to convince anyone else why they to should love it too. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some may find beauty in GG shoes and other may be indifferent or opposed. all are valid opinions. why does one man like blue and another brown? neither are better, only different. same here. if you like it, great, buy them, talk about them, share what you have. if not, no hard feelings.

just my 2c.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
a much better place.

instead of literally Appreciation of a whole bunch of poorly constructed gaudy eyesores igent standard #menswear shoes.

standards.

devil.gif

It seems to me that some of these appreciation threads become small fan clubs

My dear Chogall, on that point we are agreed. Although the "pr0n" can be a pleasure in itself, it is no substitute for considered discussion, and I think Mr Twinpeaks' point is quite apposite.

But that doesn't mean we have to accept "leisure" shoes, even with a well-regarded maker's name on them. Let such horrors remain on the S&D dark side *shudder*. They do not belong in the "Classic" realm of gentlemen. :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads