• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An
You are about one week late. Edward of Manchester had a januari sale with a 20% discount.
G&G is never low cost but if you live outside europe you can deduct VAT. Bespoke England has St James in both MH71 and TG73. Skoaktiebolaget has them in MH71.

Anything comparable for cheaper? Trying to take the step past allen edmonds lol

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've posted them in the bespoke thread before. Wanted to give a comparison of an alternative toe shape in a suede Adelaide.

they are truly a beautiful pair of shoes. thanks for sharing.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was eyeing those.  How are the quality of those AS's?  Pretty decent step up from Allen Edmonds?  They run about $520 from what I've seen...

I own a pair. Lovely shoes. Definitely a step up from the two AEs I own (as befits the higher price point). Blasphemy perhaps for this thread but if you place the AS Moore beside the St James II in vintage cherry it's hard to tell the difference at first glance - then you notice the burnishing, the rolled waist, etc.

But, for a cheaper alternative it's hard to beat.

Fiddler

Reaction score
An
Anything comparable for cheaper? Trying to take the step past allen edmonds lol

It's worth reflecting on the words of Oscar Wilde (or some such comparable fellow):

"I am too poor to afford cheap stuff."

Shoes stay with you for a long time. Why not get fewer but nicer ones?

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's worth reflecting on the words of Oscar Wilde (or some such comparable fellow):

That's the goal moving forward. I guess I can't justify paying close to a grand yet for shoes. 2 years ago the $250 for a pair of AEs was a big deal to me. One step at a time.

Fiddler

Reaction score
Then AS will do you nicely...I have a pair of simple chelsea oxfords from both EGreen and AS....have to say the EGs piss on the As -- from a great height, I might add....but the AS are nice too, just not in a quality comparison.

cgo

Reaction score

Cgo what kind of wax colors did you use to get that shine? It's well epic..!

I can not take credit for this polishing as it is my friend who does it. He told me he uses two shades of brown, black, and neutral.

Here is more pic of it. He asked me to leave the shoes with him longer as he does not feel that it is "finished"

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The AS are very good quality. You are not going to save money in the long run by buying the GGs. Following this argument to its conclusion, wouldn't it be better to get GG bespoke instead? Really the more-expensive-stuff-is-actually-cheaper argument is massively overplayed on SF. It may be better, and especially better than someone who has a shopping addiction who can't stop buying cheap stuff. But if you don't really care and you just want to get something that looks decent for as little money as possible, GG is not the way to go.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. Damn that's hot makes the shoes look $1k more expensive :D
I can not take credit for this polishing as it is my friend who does it. He told me he uses two shades of brown, black, and neutral.

Here is more pic of it. He asked me to leave the shoes with him longer as he does not feel that it is "finished"

cgo

Reaction score
indeed....can't wait for what the "finished" end result will look like

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those are incredible. whats the last/fitting? mh71?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lovely boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads