• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Toffee

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is probably the wrong forum for this question, but then, maybe it isnt.

I bought an nice old pair of Grants from a friend and I seem to remember somebody saying something in this thread about a really professional shoe repair service in England somewhere which Tony and Dean Gaziano were very impressed with. (At least I THINK it was in this thread)

I would rather not send these shoes back to Dean because I would like to change the single leather sole to a HAF when it is replaced. If G&G are impressed by some cobbler, and if the cobbler does such great work to G&G shoes, well then I don't mind shipping the shoes to UK for refurb.

Can anyone remember who the resoling / repair service was that impressed Dean and Tony so much?

If this is the wrong place for this post, I apologize.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Any own or seen in person a pair of Thorpe's? I guess they are G&G's take on a field boot. They look stormwelted from the pics I've seen, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with this model.

I have a pair in pigskin and I have 2-3 of my personal friends who have bought Thorpe from me and everyone is very happy with them. Probably the most casual and comfortable of all my G&G. Looks best in grain on a double sole with storm welt in my opinion. But it can be ordered without the storm welt of course.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
I have a pair in pigskin and I have 2-3 of my personal friends who have bought Thorpe from me and everyone is very happy with them. Probably the most casual and comfortable of all my G&G. Looks best in grain on a double sole with storm welt in my opinion. But it can be ordered without the storm welt of course.

Interesting, this leads me to wonder if other G&G's can be ordered with a stormwelt
mwink[1].gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im lovin the frankenstitch! :)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on my Savoys after a couple of wears? I'm really having a hard time nailing down my size. My first EGs, 9.5/10D on the 888 feel way too long and creased on the cap, so I went 9/9.5E in my 888 westminsters which have been fine, but again a faint crease on the cap right at the seam. The 8.5/9E felt super small. So, this pair of Savoy is 9/9.5E and feels snug but not tight, yet it seems to be creasing strangely...If I measure my feet and convert I get 9 US.

Some creasing may be from previous owner trying on? My savoys are on the tight side but they creased really weird as they had been creased by whoever returned them but probably wore on carpet for a bit. Not a major issues but it's also annoying when shoes don't crease cleanly given my other Barneys G&Gs creased just fine

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love the Thorpe. What a great boot design

Rodney

Reaction score
For dutch standards, it's pretty bad weather at the moment. Too much snow to wear my "higher" end shoes. Only wearing shoes from my C&J collection at the moment.
Time to catch up with some polishing. Just did four pairs (don't mind the Corthays on the left
smile.gif
), the rest will have to wait for coming weekend.

St James in Vintage Cherry (color doesn't even come close in this pic).
Hayes in Vintage Rioja.
Grant in Racing Green.

niklasnordin

Reaction score
For dutch standards, it's pretty bad weather at the moment. Too much snow to wear my "higher" end shoes. Only wearing shoes from my C&J collection at the moment.
Time to catch up with some polishing. Just did four pairs (don't mind the Corthays on the left
smile.gif
), the rest will have to wait for coming weekend.

Hayes in Vintage Rioja.
Grant in Racing Green.
Really nice collection you got there. Think the Grants are my favs here, they look fantabolous :)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For dutch standards, it's pretty bad weather at the moment. Too much snow to wear my "higher" end shoes. Only wearing shoes from my C&J collection at the moment. Time to catch up with some polishing. Just did four pairs (don't mind the Corthays on the left :) ), the rest will have to wait for coming weekend. St James in Vintage Cherry (color doesn't even come close in this pic). Hayes in Vintage Rioja. Grant in Racing Green.
I mind those Corthays on the left. In my closet, please. :)

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Time to catch up with some polishing. Just did four pairs (don't mind the Corthays on the left :) ), the rest will have to wait for coming weekend.

Hayes in Vintage Rioja.
Grant in Racing Green.

Seems to be the week for shoe maintenance. I like the bleaching on the Corthay toe. My Collcuts have the deco bleached toe, and I'm absolutely wary about how I should proceed in trying to polish them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads