• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoL - those pics are fantastic. love the shoes. :)

hanskl

Reaction score
It looks to me like they are too moist, ie. too much water and/or wax has been applied...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is what I am doing. And after 30-45 min polishing that is the result you are looking at guys. Any help/tips are welcomed. And i'm using darkbrown wax from C&J.
Wraping the shoe bag around two fingers.
Taking a few drops of water on the shoe bag where the wax is coming on.
Put on a little wax.
Polish.
Add a drop of water using my little finger and dipping it in water.
Polish more.
Add drop of water.
Polish more.
Add a tiny bit of wax.
Polish.
And so on... Then I finish off the shine with a microfiber glove.
Too much water during application. Skip the water altogether for the initial application. Only add a drop or two from the tip of your finger after the wax starts to get 'stiff'. Once the leather gets moist you will never get a shine until you let it dry out. You might also try using a soft cotton t shirt as the applicator - shoe bags are not necessarily all that soft.

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much water during application. Skip the water altogether for the initial application. Only add a drop or two from the tip of your finger after the wax starts to get 'stiff'.

Once the leather gets moist you will never get a shine until you let it dry out.

You might also try using a soft cotton t shirt as the applicator - shoe bags are not necessarily all that soft.
Will try that tomorrow. Thank g-man. Will update if it got any better :)

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nick this is the best polish skills I came out with. it's not working for me!! Any tips guys?
nephew, google the mac method

mrbrioni

Reaction score
MoL - those pics are insane!

I have the shoes and you make them look 100 x's better than they do - and they're sexy as hell to begin with!

A+++++

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys is anybody is looking for a boot with ridgeway sole, maybe we could give Nick feedback as what to offer for the next MTO. I would prefer Canterbury on either DG 70 or CG 06 on expresso leather, with ridgeway sole, the color is not such a sticking point but I desire some boot on ridgeway sole.

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score
Use whiskey instead of water, same effect, less water, alcohol evaporates faster leaving the lether shinier. I trick borroed from G&G!

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use whiskey instead of water, same effect, less water, alcohol evaporates faster leaving the lether shinier. I trick borroed from G&G!

You'd better be using shite whisky, son.
smile.gif

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Berluti uses champagne and Saint Crispins recommend rubbing alcohol. Any alcohol would be fine. But spit works best.

This is what I am doing. And after 30-45 min polishing that is the result you are looking at guys. Any help/tips are welcomed. And i'm using darkbrown wax from C&J.

Wraping the shoe bag around two fingers.
Taking a few drops of water on the shoe bag where the wax is coming on.
Put on a little wax.
Polish.
Add a drop of water using my little finger and dipping it in water.
Polish more.
Add drop of water.
Polish more.
Add a tiny bit of wax.
Polish.
And so on...

Then I finish off the shine with a microfiber glove.

Don't use shoe bags. Use old tshirts/undershirts.

No water from the start. Polish until the wax feels very sticky with heavy drag. Add a bit of water (not onto cloth, but on shoes), polish until the wax stiffened enough to have huge drag. Repeat until shine.

Alternate layers of wax and cream to have depth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads