• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For all you G&G shoe collectors that go on the MTO route, why not go bespoke?  It's less than 3 pairs of MTO price for a pair of shoes that are made to your design and fit specification with much greater construction.

I'm taking a purchasing hiatus right now and likely saving for exactly this.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with SS. $500 is more than I'd be willing to pay for something that I would then need to add an insole to in order to assure proper fit. I tried this with a pair of EGs once - while the fit was better, my main issue was that the shoe still looked too big for my foot.
I didn't realize what a clusterfuck the sizing would be, but should have guessed. I only figured out the sizing on the Phillip II because the floor model had 9E written inside the shoe.
That being said, I still thought the Lobbs were a better deal even before the extent of this sizing issue became clear.

1. JL was a much better deal. And more refined shoes. And yes I am partial to JLP and G&G classic styles.
2. Why don't people buy +/- around their size at a sale is beyond me, i.e., buy Barney's size 9, 9.5, 10, if you are G&G size 9.5E/10E. You can always return in case Barney's screws up sizing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you usually spend £300 - £400 on RTW then the G&G on sale is worth a punt. If it doesn't fit you will not have any problems recouping your loss.

Correct.

I certainly would not have chosen to buy shoes that needed insoles to fit, but for the price offered i am more than happy to have em. Well worth it for me to have 2 pairs of shoes that would not otherwise be possible for me to get. If one pair needs an insole, which many people wear anyway for comfort, that is no biggie to me.

And worse case scenario, as MoL said, i pass em on for what i payed or more, or just return them.

For all you G&G shoe collectors that go on the MTO route, why not go bespoke?  It's less than 3 pairs of MTO price for a pair of shoes that are made to your design and fit specification with much greater construction.

1. Thats a consideration for someone who has a solid shoe rotation. Its hard to justify close to 3k on one pair of shoes when a person may only have 2 or 3 pairs to begin with, and could be better served rounding out their collection buying 3 more pair, not 1.

2. Simple economics. A person who can spend 1300ish on shoes may not be able to afford shoes in the 3k range. Hell, for me 600+ is already pushing it.

1. JL was a much better deal.  And more refined shoes.  And yes I am partial to JLP and G&G classic styles.
2. Why don't people buy +/- around their size at a sale is beyond me, i.e., buy Barney's size 9, 9.5, 10, if you are G&G size 9.5E/10E.  You can always return in case Barney's screws up sizing.

1. As you said, that is very much a matter of personal taste.

2. Not all sizes were available. And i know my GG size. I had no way of knowing their system was so absurd. Lasty, cash flow. Sometimes you have to pay your CC bill before the refund gets processed. I can float some money, but i did not want to float 2k.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BARNEYS Y U NO PUT MORE MODELS ON SALE AFTER XMAS :confused:

Also, Biarritz still available US9 at cost, one last shot before eBay...

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BARNEYS Y U NO PUT MORE MODELS ON SALE AFTER XMAS :confused:
Also, Biarritz still available US9 at cost, one last shot before eBay...

nephew,
if barney pressmen were alive and still running the show you would have gotten your wish

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

Agree. This is my next step, few bespoke to last me the next 20 years. Although I have no problem with MTO, bespoke is the next frontier. Prices are converging with all the extras I ask for in an MTO, specially the GG Deco range.

Last edited:

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

I'm taking a purchasing hiatus right now and likely saving for exactly this.

+1. Althbough I can do it soon, I am taking my time sizing up the better bespoke options and designers. Some of the Italians and Japanese makers are tuning out very unique shoes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Received the gable and westbury. I'm still not in love with the Frankenstitch but at Alden calf prices, I couldn't be happier.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whoever the person was that tried on the Gable, somehow managed to scratch off some of the finish off of the toe. Shouldn't be a problem to remedy as the shoes seem to be in need of a polish anyway.

Also, note how they were laced when I received them. Dude didn't deserve G&G at any price

They even had the nerve to send me a faux horn shoe horn presumably used by the culprit in question

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Received the gable and westbury. I'm still not in love with the Frankenstitch but at Alden calf prices, I couldn't be happier.

i am not in love with that term. :plain:

Whoever the person was that tried on the Gable, somehow managed to scratch off some of the finish off of the toe. Shouldn't be a problem to remedy as the shoes seem to be in need of a polish anyway.
Also, note how they were laced when I received them. Dude didn't deserve G&G at any price

that could be shop wear. they are laced that way in the web pics iirc. same for the scuff, could be from in store movement.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, one day, i would like to try bespoke as well. would be a cool experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads