• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in other less than stellar news, i wore the windsors yesterday for the first time. it was raining/slushing outside, and i had to walk in the slush for a total of maybe 2 minutes, in about 30 second increments at max.

below is what i discovered happened to my shoes when i checked to see if they were dry later at night.

CAN SMEONE TELL ME WHY THE EFF THIS HAPPENED AND HOW I CAN FIX IT!

i have been stuck in the rain and snow before, and never has this happened. certainly not on literally the first wear out of the box.

SO MAD!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is not cool stitch

for srs. :(

i emailed another SFer. said same happened to him, and he just cut off the the piece with an exacto knife,

Stitch, that reminds me of this thread. Take a read through it and see if it's the similar problem.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/317544/john-lobb-jermyn-iii-but-quality

thank you very much, ez. i may try and find some of this "shoe goo" or send them off to these b. nelson fellows for full metal toe taps.

Major Roadrash

Reaction score
ibelow is what i discovered happened to my shoes when i checked to see if they were dry later at night.

stitches, both pairs of G&G I own have the same problem. They've never been worn in wet weather so that's not the cause. I assume it's inherent in the materials or construction or something. I have to say it's reduced my enthusiasm for the brand and my recent purchases have been from the "other" big name men's shoemaker.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's disconcerting. How much are toetaps from G&G?

mrbrioni

Reaction score

stitches, both pairs of G&G I own have the same problem. They've never been worn in wet weather so that's not the cause. I assume it's inherent in the materials or construction or something. I have to say it's reduced my enthusiasm for the brand and my recent purchases have been from the "other" big name men's shoemaker.

This is not exciting considering I just bought 3....I own 3 other G&G shoes and I've never had this issue.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's happened to my Lobbs and EG's as well. To be honest I haven't given it much thought

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

who is the "other" maker - lobb?

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
Happened to me i just cut if off.

in other less than stellar news, i wore the windsors yesterday for the first time. it was raining/slushing outside, and i had to walk in the slush for a total of maybe 2 minutes, in about 30 second increments at max.
below is what i discovered happened to my shoes when i checked to see if they were dry later at night.
CAN SMEONE TELL ME WHY THE EFF THIS HAPPENED AND HOW I CAN FIX IT!
i have been stuck in the rain and snow before, and never has this happened. certainly not on literally the first wear out of the box.
SO MAD!

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to repeat again something that heve been said many times, when this kind of thing happens to Lobb, EG, GG, is "oh no big deal, just cut it off, no problem". But, if this shoe was an AE or Alden everybody would be bitchin at the ****** construction.

Harrydog

Reaction score

I'm just going to repeat again something that heve been said many times, when this kind of thing happens to Lobb, EG, GG, is "oh no big deal, just cut it off, no problem". But, if this shoe was an AE or Alden everybody would be bitchin at the ****** construction.

Well...seeing that neither Alden or AE do closed channel construction, you won't have the problem of the channel opening. So no bitching from me. I'd be complaining about the clunky lasts and the 360 degree welt.

Had a channel open on a C&J handgrade. Glued it down with gorilla glue and was good to go.

Major Roadrash

Reaction score
who is the "other" maker - lobb?

Edward Green. I had the channel separation occur on a pair of Lobb Woodcotes too so I decided to try EG (despite posting here a couple of years ago about the lousy service at their Jermyn St. shop). I've had no issues with 4 pairs of EGs purchased over the last year and a half.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads