• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

If I were G&G I would be royally pissed off at Barney's. I mean these were such heavy discounts, Two pair of shoes for the price of less then a one pair. Do not get me wrong I am happy that you guys scored. I did not pursue westbury gable because I dislike TG73 last. However it really makes you wonder if people are willing to buy other G&G shoes at the full price now.

People in the know will always appreciate and buy G&G at full price. Large department stores will never stock more than few styles and limited sizes. There are few G&G from Ralph Lauren as well, but it is doubtful you will see them again. Stick with G&G for what you really like. MTO and bespoke were you get to choose color, last, astyle, finsh, etc.

Discounts are a bonus. If you get one good for you, if not (like me size 13), there will always be satisfaction with MTO.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did stick with what I really like. I am awaiting delivery of St. James in Vintage Rioja on CG06 last I would not buy something I would not like even if it is 1/3 of the regular price. As a marketer I am just interested in people perception. This can get really complex for example if G&G strategy is to move into retail stores then these discount may have negative consequences on the MTO program. You see if you see shoe heavily discounted you may decide to forgo MTO and instead wait for next year sale when the shoe you like may be available.

I noticed that Allene Edmonds have reduced discounts, for example at shouebuy you cannot use discounts on AE and you hardly ever see 20%-30% discounts across the AE stores anymore. I think this was a good move by AE.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely seen this before with saks and rl. With RL its a bit different in that they have new models each season so they are always discounting at seasons end. With saks, it was more like this - moving out models that just haven't sold. At least, that is why I think these two models were selected for steep discount. Someone on eBay had the gable up for years and it just didn't move - either ascot or Margot&ralph. Certainly not at these prices though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitch, the Gables are really sweet.

INORITE!!

If I were G&G I would be royally pissed off at Barney's. I mean these were such heavy discounts, Two pair of shoes for the price of less then a one pair. Do not get me wrong I am happy that you guys scored. I did not pursue westbury gable because I dislike TG73 last. However it really makes you wonder if people are willing to buy other G&G shoes at the full price now.

does not change my perception a bit. there are always things to be snagged at deep discount in limited offerings. one can get a kiton or attolini suit for under 2k, NWT. but only a few designs and not guaranteed in your size. i think it kind of whets the palate. keeping people engaged with the brand. same here, were are talking about a total of three models, in a particular last, and particular color, available in a few sizes, and very quickly sold out.

so i dont think a flash sale once a year or so on a few items will affect anyones ability to sell GGs at full price normally.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just about to write how surprised I am that Barney's did not discount some other G&G shoe such as one in green color as this clearly is not a color that appeals to majority of population especially at such a high prices. Well guess what G&G Windsor and Savoy are on sale today $669.00

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, bloomingdales might be the better example. They stocked EGs for one season. They didn't sell at retail and they ended up having a severe discount at year end. Under 400. Fromes were flooding the market.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have real life pics of the Savoy? NEED a pair

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This PSA definitely made up for missing out on the Drake's pop-up sale.

I'm assuming the SAs at Barney's work on commission. The SA I spoke to (cool guy) seemed very happy that he scored a cross-border customer for a $400 pair of shoes.

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

Anybody have real life pics of the Savoy? NEED a pair

From Bespoke England's (Nick's) site

Last edited:

UnreasonableMan

Reaction score

What's the model name of the shoe on the left? Can't decide if I want to keep both...
How did you manage to get both? Thought they were sold out, online at least in a UK11.

I'm empty handed. If any you guys having buyers remorse on a pair of UK11's shoot me a pm.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Windsor - Single Monk Strap

i had really hoped these were gonna be on sale, love em!

How did you manage to get both? Thought they were sold out, online at least in a UK11. 

I'm empty handed. If any you guys having buyers remorse on a pair of UK11's shoot me a pm.

he got em a while back, end of nov. at the first sale price of 739.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads