• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GG06 and MH71 have wider toe box, so it fits 'normal'.  TG73/DG70/Deco have narrow toe box, so it will be very tight at the toe area if GG06/MH71 fits you fine; order a width up if needed (not length up).

p.s., if GG06/MH71 fits you fine, TG73/DG70 will most likely to be too narrow at the toe box, and vice versa.  There's no reason to own both the wider toe box and the narrow toe box lasts since the fit will be exclusive at the same size/width.

For my feet, its the Deco last which has the narrower toe box area compared to the GG06/DG70/MH71/TG73 (these four have the same toe box room)

The design of the shoe ALSO contributes to the overall room throughout the shoe and toe box...which might explain why others report a better fit in a 1/2 size larger TG73 lasted shoe compared to a shoe with the MH71 or GG06.

For example, I have the new faux laced balmoral lazyman in the TG73 in 11.5...yet have another GG lazyman shoe with the TG73 in 12. I had ordered the balmoral lazyman in 12, yet it was too big...so I had it relasted

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not accurate as to my experience with the Deco and TG73 lasts.
The Deco and KN14 lasts fit different than the 4 others. Tony and Dean both told me (based on the measurements of my feet) to go 1/2 size down on the KN14.
I found the Deco last to be too narrow for my feet in the toe box area (and Tony confirmed this as its design attribute)...so I use the TG73 on my Deco designs.
Its the 4 others which fit the same in the toe box area. So I agree with you that an 11 in the MH71, will work well for you too in TG73.

When I spoke with Tony about it, he said that the toe box of the deco was elongated specifically to maintain the fit across the same lasts. He specifically mentioned the variability in EG lasts as a driving principle behind this design decision. I had no interest in KN14 when I met either Tony or Dean, so I cannot say anything about it. However, neither informed me at any point that I should vary my sizing. When meeting with Tony I specifically inquired about the fit versus the deco and he said there should not be any difference. As I wear a size 9D, which is also their display shoe size, I was able to try them on then and there, and did not notice any difference from the Decos that I had received from them earlier that week.

All of this said, perhaps the actual answer is that intent and execution do not always coincide and that the variances in feet, shoe choice, and manufacture continue to play a factor.

bamboo

Reaction score

Hi. Thanks for folks who gave a comment on my previous posts. As there were some sizing discussion going on I find it may be interesting to upload comparison pictures of EG 888 D width and MH71 E width of the same length. The way my foot feels is that 888 D is narrower in ball joint part especially on little toe side (after about 5 days wearing). Support on ankle and instep is better on MH71. I think this may be due to the fact that opening of MH71 is smaller than 888 and covers higher part of instep. I need to loosen laces of MH71 very well to put those on. Angle of instep of MH71 is steeper than that of 888.

My foot is tiny. UK5.5. (I am not growing up anymore, vertically anyway..). I did not have a chance trying on MH71 on D width locally, so I cannot tell if I should/can go down in width. In terms of length, I can squeeze my foot in EG 82 5E, but I think I cannot walk around with those.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi. Thanks for folks who gave a comment on my previous posts. As there were some sizing discussion going on I find it may be interesting to upload comparison pictures of EG 888 D width and MH71 E width of the same length. The way my foot feels is that 888 D is narrower in ball joint part especially on little toe side (after about 5 days wearing). Support on ankle and instep is better on MH71. I think this may be due to the fact that opening of MH71 is smaller than 888 and covers higher part of instep. I need to loosen laces of MH71 very well to put those on. Angle of instep of MH71 is steeper than that of 888.

My foot is tiny. UK5.5. (I am not growing up anymore, vertically anyway..). I did not have a chance trying on MH71 on D width locally, so I cannot tell if I should/can go down in width. In terms of length, I can squeeze my foot in EG 82 5E, but I think I cannot walk around with those.

Nice comparisons!!

EG has much better arch support for the pairs I own; they actually have some sort of arch stiffener. G&G has almost non-existent arch support. Arch location/length is a whole diferent game and very personal.

For my feet, its the Deco last which has the narrower toe box area compared to the GG06/DG70/MH71/TG73 (these four have the same toe box room)
The design of the shoe ALSO contributes to the overall room throughout the shoe and toe box...which might explain why others report a better fit in a 1/2 size larger TG73 lasted shoe compared to a shoe with the MH71 or GG06.
For example, I have the new faux laced balmoral lazyman in the TG73 in 11.5...yet have another GG lazyman shoe with the TG73 in 12. I had ordered the balmoral lazyman in 12, yet it was too big...so I had it relasted

FYI, Tony measured me to be 9.5G for the RTW sizes. 9.5F fits me fine in GG06 and I can fit in GG06/MH71 in 9.5E but slightly narrow; TG73 in 9.5E is painfully narrow. So IME, I do not feel that the none deco lasts share the same toe box room. And top down last comparisons also shows the same.

Rodney

Reaction score
I want these so bad.

These are actually mine
biggrin.gif
, I will receive them next week through Nick of bespoke of course, after an exact 4 months wait, which is ok for G&G I guess.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are actually mine
biggrin.gif
, I will receive them next week through Nick of bespoke of course, after an exact 4 months wait, which is ok for G&G I guess.
Really, congrats man! They are a beauty.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

Smart decision. And it is worth every cent. That's what I get from making an impulse buy just cause there was a sale.
I hope this will work out for me somehow.

Will they not give you refund, cause it was their mistake? Or I am not able to understand what actually happened. Don't know about US, but in Dubai if such thing happens there are lot of govt support/ consumer protection. Most sellers even don't want the case to be opened with dept and try to satisfy the customer. Even if it's not their fault but customer bought something wrong himself, at least sellers give a credit note valid for six months that you can use on anything store wide

Anyways sorry to hear that, hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction. I will never get any shoes that are even slightest-ly loose

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are actually mine :D , I will receive them next week through Nick of bespoke of course, after an exact 4 months wait, which is ok for G&G I guess.

They are beautiful. What is the color name, cedar?

Rodney

Reaction score
They are beautiful. What is the color name, cedar?
Yes, Vintage Cedar, with a bit of darkening. They turned out great!
I'll make some more pictures as soon as I have them.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All G&G shoes shares the same "fit" up to the metatarsal area and the 'fit' changes thereafter; the difference becomes most pronounced at the toe box.

GG06 and MH71 have wider toe box, so it fits 'normal'.  TG73/DG70/Deco have narrow toe box, so it will be very tight at the toe area if GG06/MH71 fits you fine; order a width up if needed (not length up).

Also, as with any other brand, cap toes will be harder to fit than wingtip/wholecut/etc due to the cap stitch and stiffener.

p.s., if GG06/MH71 fits you fine, TG73/DG70 will most likely to be too narrow at the toe box, and vice versa.  There's no reason to own both the wider toe box and the narrow toe box lasts since the fit will be exclusive at the same size/width.

good info. thanks. both the shoes feel fine in the toe. the question is more will they be too long and will i have "floating" by my heel. i have to really lace them up right and try them on again to see. ill post when i do. thanks again for all your help, guys.

Will they not give you refund, cause it was their mistake? Or I am not able to understand what actually happened. Don't know about US, but in Dubai if such thing happens there are lot of govt support/ consumer protection. Most sellers even don't want the case to be opened with dept and try to satisfy the customer. Even if it's not their fault but customer bought something wrong himself, at least sellers give a credit note valid for six months that you can use on anything store wide
Anyways sorry to hear that, hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction. I will never get any shoes that are even slightest-ly loose

oh, i can return them, but that is not what i want. they had the correct shoe in stock when i made the order. i want them to somehow work something out for me, because they are ******* idiots, and there website is contrary to what they actually do.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

good info. thanks. both the shoes feel fine in the toe. the question is more will they be too long and will i have "floating" by my heel. i have to really lace them up right and try them on again to see. ill post when i do. thanks again for all your help, guys.
oh, i can return them, but that is not what i want. they had the correct shoe in stock when i made the order. i want them to somehow work something out for me, because they are ******* idiots, and there website is contrary to what they actually do.

Ah ok...

Communication is a real challenge. Right now I am dealing with an ebay seller who sent the stuff to my US address instead of UAE despite clear instructions and acknowledgement, causing me to pay additional shipping. His reply "it's weird"

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah ok...
Communication is a real challenge. Right now I am dealing with an ebay seller who sent the stuff to my US address instead of UAE despite clear instructions and acknowledgement, causing me to pay additional shipping. His reply "it's weird"

How did you pay, via Paypal? If yes, what was your registered address?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah ok...

ugh. send him a fist in the mail, with which he may punch himself in the face.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

How did you pay, via Paypal? If yes, what was your registered address?

Yes through paypal, registered address is US. He told me he will not send to US though, and that I just needed to check out through ebay for making purchase and he will make sure he sends not to US but to UAE. Now he says he 'forgot' to do that, and sending me another piece directly. The amount is small so I am not upset. Fritzl might say this is the beauty of playing interweb shopping :D

ugh. send him a fist in the mail, with which he may punch himself in the face.

I hear you. I am amazed how on earth SA's are so ignorant about their products which is their source of bread and butter, they can't simply figure out which size is what, esp on merchandise worth hundreds of $ like GG in your case. Once I was in Rodeo Drive trying a Zegna SC and I asked the SA is this canvassed and he replied "what?". I believe he must now have been promoted to take care of international online ordering :violin:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads