• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Vass can do pretty much anything if asked. I would note that the vass in the photo has two major differences from the G&G in terms of the pattern. The straps on the G&G are close together and absolutely parallel, and you will notice that there is a continuous band of contrasting leather around the throat.
Why have Vass copy something from somebody else? Why not have the maker who designed it do it? It's the right thing to do, no?
Wanted Vass to do it since I've nailed my sizing in their U-last. But you are right to a certain point. I may try out G&G after this, especially for this particular model.

Jim Profit

Reaction score
Is there a chart of which saphir creams that fits best for the different types of skin colors that G&G uses. I guess that G&G only sends a polish and not a cream with there MTO Shoes?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm leaning towards going with:
2. Mayfair in the dark brown grain, single dainite sole, dg70 last, gold buckles
3. Dorchester in racing green, dg70 last, oak bark sole.
4. Oakham in navy with black grain for the strap/buckle area, dg70 last, haf sole or a westbury or a gable.....what do you guys think?
I'm not still not sure what shoes to go with for #1.
I'm 25, work on wall st, and don't want any clunky "old man" shoes for the rain (i wear peal & co blucher's now which feel that way), any suggestions?
Astaire in black alpine grain, dainite sole, dg70? Do any sort of contrasting?
Thanks!!

IIRC, Mayfair are only offered with silver colored buckles. For the Oakham configuration you described, I would personally prefer navy suede for the strap and buckle area, since this combination with the navy calf would be more versatile while still being unique.

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards going with:
2. Mayfair in the dark brown grain, single dainite sole, dg70 last, gold buckles
3. Dorchester in racing green, dg70 last, oak bark sole.
4. Oakham in navy with black grain for the strap/buckle area, dg70 last, haf sole or a westbury or a gable.....what do you guys think?
I'm not still not sure what shoes to go with for #1.
I'm 25, work on wall st, and don't want any clunky "old man" shoes for the rain (i wear peal & co blucher's now which feel that way), any suggestions?
Astaire in black alpine grain, dainite sole, dg70? Do any sort of contrasting?
Thanks!!
Oakham in the Navy and Black grain will look fantastic this is what im thinking for my next MTO just need to get the fit right on the 1st pair just sent them back to Nick for some adjustments

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oakham in the Navy and Black grain will look fantastic this is what im thinking for my next MTO just need to get the fit right on the 1st pair just sent them back to Nick for some adjustments 

Personally I have a hard time with navy and black together - perhaps I'm the only one though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there a chart of which saphir creams that fits best for the different types of skin colors that G&G uses. I guess that G&G only sends a polish and not a cream with there MTO Shoes?

would like to know the answer to this as well.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I guess that G&G only sends a polish and not a cream with there MTO Shoes?

Yeah, there is no GG branded cream. They only carry original polishes made by LCA. Hasegawa-san recommends using only neutral creme along with their original wax polishes (and never stain remover)

mrbrioni

Reaction score

IIRC, Mayfair are only offered with silver colored buckles. For the Oakham configuration you described, I would personally prefer navy suede for the strap and buckle area, since this combination with the navy calf would be more versatile while still being unique.

Thanks!

Nick told me he can do it in gold buckles on MTO, But I will double check to be sure.

I like that idea a lot, i didn't think of doing a navy suede.

Hhmmmmm do I do navy calf and navy suede or black calf and navy suede?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Nick is truly a credit to the shoe retail industry. There is no service like the one provided by Mr. Nick.

After much help, we finally worked out my size, 10.5 G, so MTO size. So may choices to choose from :bounce2:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those Pedestrian's are hideous. Look at all of that brogueing ruining them. Ugh.

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

Mr. Nick is truly a credit to the shoe retail industry. There is no service like the one provide by Mr. Nick.
After much help, we finally worked out my size, 10.5 G, so MTO size. So may choices to choose from :bounce2:

I will always say it, Nick is your best advocate for shoes from G&G. I have more GG MOTO than most, all from Nick, all with teh best service and attention to every little detail.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
Nick told me he can do it in gold buckles on MTO, But I will double check to be sure.
I like that idea a lot, i didn't think of doing a navy suede.
Hhmmmmm do I do navy calf and navy suede or black calf and navy suede?

On second thought it may have been that the Regency were only available with a brass buckle and not silver...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads