• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

Here are some boxy pedestrian round toes for your viewing pleasure. 

Delos, Delos, Delos, JLP, JLSJ

Not to derail the thread, here's a G&G bespoke, in pedestrian not-so-round-square-toe in pedestrian black color and classic design.

p.s., I don't think people go bespoke shoes/suits to go full marsupial peacocking; there's already MTO for that.
Here are some boxy pedestrian round toes for your viewing pleasure. 

Delos, Delos, Delos, JLP, JLSJ

Not to derail the thread, here's a G&G bespoke, in pedestrian not-so-round-square-toe in pedestrian black color and classic design.

p.s., I don't think people go bespoke shoes/suits to go full marsupial peacocking; there's already MTO for that.

Sure there is an RTW for uggly stuff as well.
Thank you for making my point. Still boxy, ugly, and commonly pedestrian no matter how you put it. Well made for sure, but nothing special.

Last edited:

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote: You are right. And my first instinct was the St James at the first, have been wanting them for a while now since I don't have nice suede shoes like that. You have som fit-pic of your shoes :)?
Quick iPhone shot; I can wear on Monday and give you fit pics then...
qe7y8y6u.jpg

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Masa said GG branded waxes are supplied by La Cordennerie Anglaise (which in turn are made with their specification by Avel)

The wax is softer than Saphir. It dries out and cracks in the tin relatively quickly. OTOH the wax still works quite well even dried and cracked.

Does G&G not give out the wax on MTO? I have one G&G MTO pair when they first started the business and I don't remember if I got a tin of wax then.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently it's 8 months from order to delivery for a pair of bespokes. I got measured. Now just a decision to make...

shorter than i would have expected.

Got a good laugh out of that line. :D
FWIW, I've got the St. James in polo suede and find them to be versatile and timeless. As much as I might enjoy looking at the Oakhams, they appear to me as more aggressively-styled and therefore may give you less utility.

+1. the STJ in polo suede is one of my fave shoes. hope to get a pair sooner than later.

The wax is softer than Saphir. It dries out and cracks in the tin relatively quickly. OTOH the wax still works quite well even dried and cracked.
Does G&G not give out the wax on MTO? I have one G&G MTO pair when they first started the business and I don't remember if I got a tin of wax then.

i do not recall geting one either.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, they look great. Not sure if it's a colour I'd personally go for but it's definitely got me thinking about a suede/calf combo on a pair of oxfords in future.
These are from bespoke-england tumblr. I would do this model but in black.

Nick A

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

shorter than i would have expected.
+1. the STJ in polo suede is one of my fave shoes. hope to get a pair sooner than later.
i do not recall geting one either.

In the G&G finishing room you will often find tins of polish intentionally left without the lids on to help dry the polish out to make it harder so it dries quicker when it's applied on to the leather.

Sending tins of polish with MTO's can cause difficulties with customs. I once sent a tin in the shoe parcel to the US and customs requested documentation because of the chemicals. This was more hassle than it was worth and delayed the shoes arriving.

Jim Profit

Reaction score
What kind of shoe cream color does G&G recommend using on there vintage oak?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the G&G finishing room you will often find tins of polish intentionally left without the lids on to help dry the polish out to make it harder so it dries quicker when it's applied on to the leather.
Sending tins of polish with MTO's can cause difficulties with customs. I once sent a tin in the shoe parcel to the US and customs requested documentation because of the chemicals. This was more hassle than it was worth and delayed the shoes arriving.

no worries, my friend. i was not expecting it in the least. just letting poorsod know that he was not alone.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alone in what? I have a number of tins from my bespoke orders. I thought the wax may have been included in all orders.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alone in what? I have a number of tins from my bespoke orders. I thought the wax may have been included in all orders.

i thought you were saying you couldnt recall getting a tin with the MTO, i was saying that in my MTO i didnt get a tin. just confirming the MTOs dont generally come with tin, at least if they are being shipped to the US.

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

You have the taste of a butcher from Dubai who won the lotto. - Fuuma

Thank you chogall. You're too kind! I have the best taste and I am not afraid to stand up for it.

By the way, how did you know that I am from Dubai and won the lotto???

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd be quite happy with a few boxy, ugly and commonly pedestrian bespoke round toe shoes by Delos.

More so than with the somewhat bourgeois prevailing chisel toe, in fact.

Sure there is an RTW for uggly stuff as well.
Thank you for making my point. Still boxy, ugly, and commonly pedestrian no matter how you put it. Well made for sure, but nothing special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads