• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you mean to kill for. no point in great shoes if your dead. :)

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you mean to kill for. no point in great shoes if your dead.
smile.gif
True but I wouldn't mind if someone put them on my feet when i'm in the grave
musicboohoo[1].gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The metal tip on G&G MTO shoes is it allwas the same that should be used? When I give them to my local shoemaker for a new sole should he use the same or shall I order new ones, how does it work?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The metal tip on G&G MTO shoes is it allwas the same that should be used? When I give them to my local shoemaker for a new sole should he use the same or shall I order new ones, how does it work?

interesting questions. the G&G sole is a thing of beauty in general, i would always want them to do the resoling.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting questions. the G&G sole is a thing of beauty in general, i would always want them to do the resoling.

Edit: Did pm Nick now to see how all this work.

Last edited:

michaelvl

Reaction score

I live in the Netherlands and I am yet to find a cobbler that is able and is willing to install sunken toe tips. To install sunken toe tips the cobbler has to cut and shave a layer of leather off the sole that leaves a space that exactly mates with the metal toe tip. This must also be done with great precision to avoid cutting through the welt stitch.

Most shoemakers can install the non sunken ones. I would recommend to send the shoes back to the original manufacturer for a recraft and having them install the top tips.

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the Netherlands and I am yet to find a cobbler that is able and is willing to install sunken toe tips. To install sunken toe tips the cobbler has to cut and shave a layer of leather off the sole that leaves a space that exactly mates with the metal toe tip. This must also be done with great precision to avoid cutting through the welt stitch.
Most shoemakers can install the non sunken ones. I would recommend to send the shoes back to the original manufacturer for a recraft and having them install the top tips.
I understand. You you are prob right as in stitches also said. Will ask my C&J local shoemaker first if he can do it, if not i'll send them. And thanks for the information Michael.

Last edited:

sdolina

Reaction score

Go to the Sir Max in Amsterdam, they are not only re-crafting the shoes, but also can intall the metal toe-tips, unfortunately needs 2-3 days for this, so I didn't install it on my shoes.

By the way, today have tried at this shop the G&G TG73 in my UK9,5E (C&J, JL) - they are not simply narrow, I even can't get in! Next week will in Sweden will try other sizes and lasts (which SirMax doesn't have).

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£240.00 for new sole (includes new heels and refurbishing the insoles)
£75 for new metal toe tip.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]£40 shipment from my part and £40 shipment from Bespoke-England.[/FONT]
Total: £395

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]So you all know the information![/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Cheers![/FONT]

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

By the way, today have tried at this shop the G&G TG73 in my UK9,5E (C&J, JL) - they are not simply narrow, I even can't get in! Next week will in Sweden will try other sizes and lasts (which SirMax doesn't have).

I had to go up a half size for G&G.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very close to buying StThomas or Nice for my next pair... I think I saw some Nice way back in this thread, owner?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads