• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe you can't make a wholecut out of stingray that large. But why not another style? A wholecut stingray is pure sex though.

Xenon

Reaction score

Tragically, no. G&G won't make stingrays in any size over 9. I'm an 11... Stupid feet.

Not that this is an issue for me (size 7.5 maybe) but are you serious? Why is 9 the maximum? It can't be the size of skins as I have stingray skins that are 16" wide by 35" long. You could make a wholecut pair of 13s in a single skin.

jammyo40

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe you can't make a wholecut out of stingray that large. But why not another style? A wholecut stingray is pure sex though.

IIRC, I believe it's because of the inherent nature of stingray leather in that it doesn't really hold up well when cut and stitched together.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For brand new G&G is it good from the start to put an extra sole under the shoes (so the real sole dont get used) ?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor guy - he doesn't know the **** storm he's stepped into. :lurk:

GradSchooler

Reaction score

Maybe usable stingray hide isn't that big?

This was the issue as far as I was told. Apparently G&G were finding it quite hard to source skins large enough to do wholecuts over size 9 that were of sufficient quality. When I asked about it I was told that unless there was an influx of high quality, large stingray skins, there would be no stingray wholecuts in my future.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you familiar with the ancient art of foot binding? My understanding is that after the first few times they break your toes that it starts to be less agonizing with every year.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score

This was the issue as far as I was told. Apparently G&G were finding it quite hard to source skins large enough to do wholecuts over size 9 that were of sufficient quality. When I asked about it I was told that unless there was an influx of high quality, large stingray skins, there would be no stingray wholecuts in my future.

If size of the skin is an issue than you need to check often with G&G (or anyone else) as the supply of quality big skins IS sporadic. So if they don't have any now it doesn't mean they won't have any in 2 months time. I had to wait 3 months for my order of 16" wide skins.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics