• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

soto_nw

Reaction score
The TG73 last is probably a better fit for you based on your commentary around more comfort and less creasing.

I have limited experience with the TG73 last, as I've only tried it on, so other folks can chime in more. But it definitely had more room in the instep than my GG06. A bit less of a gap in the lacing and it feels like having a tad bit more width in general, likely due to the contours of the last.

Thanks for the reply. I suspect the same, I just wish TG73 was a bit softer (might to do an MTO for their soft chisel). It's funny because the GG06 feels roomier everywhere else, except the instep. Just keep trying to make sense of that.

I suppose time will tell, as I wear the GG06 a few more times and actually walk in them for some distance. I've attached some pictures I took yesterday of the GG06 - purely for demonstration. I don't think it fits poorly (though the slight crease after the cap annoy me a little), but after couple of hours I can feel a bit of pressure around the 2nd and 3rd line of the laces.

Again though, they've been worn less than the TG73 (maybe worn out 3 times, and not a lot of walking, just a lot of sitting in the office). Loosening the laces like 1-2mm, which translates to about 1.2cm - 1.3 cm at the top of the laces, usually makes a pretty big difference. However, happy to keep hearing other people's thoughts on this especially since I'm sure most people on here have more experience with G&G shoes.

IMG_1474.JPG IMG_1475.JPG IMG_1477.JPG

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The TG73 last is probably a better fit for you based on your commentary around more comfort and less creasing.

I have limited experience with the TG73 last, as I've only tried it on, so other folks can chime in more. But it definitely had more room in the instep than my GG06. A bit less of a gap in the lacing and it feels like having a tad bit more width in general, likely due to the contours of the last.

Could also be the model - that's what I've found to have really strong influence on fit, just as much as last and size.

Different models stitch together pieces of leather in different ways, and the placement of the stitching gives each design pattern a different constraint on the ability of those flat, two-dimenionsal pieces of leather to "give" and mold around a three-dimensional foot: while leather can stretch, thread cannot.

Just looking at the Hayes versus the Oxford, if I was a betting man I'd guess the Hayes would have more potential to mold up and around your instep because of the stitching pattern - other than the adelaide it's essentially one unbroken piece of leather, almost like a wholecut. I have a high instep, so that's always the critical spot for me.

I know others have said they find a significant difference between GG lasts of the same size; that's not been my experience, but everyone's foot is different.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey 8.5 guys - pair of what look like basically brand new black tassels worn once or twice on TheRealReal for like 450 with the 20% off and then a pair of Thorpes on dainite for like 600. Not my consignments not my size. No idea which lasts.

papado

Reaction score
Does anyone know what current MTO lead time is? I ordered a pair in Feb as part of their promo and have yet to hear anything. I think someone else in the thread mentioned they ordered late 2020 and just received their's so I figured I may be waiting a little while longer before I get my pair anyway!

gcwmm

Reaction score
Does anyone know what current MTO lead time is? I ordered a pair in Feb as part of their promo and have yet to hear anything. I think someone else in the thread mentioned they ordered late 2020 and just received their's so I figured I may be waiting a little while longer before I get my pair anyway!
You almost there bro. I ordered at Mar and received this month.

ant922599

Reaction score
Sample Sale @ Savile Row next week - 1st, 2nd and 3rd July.

Anyone going?

I've been for the last few years and had a mixed bag - really fancy keeping the tradition this year, but it is a 2 hour train ride into London and no doubt all the best shoes will be gone by 10am ?

Iadbound

Reaction score
Hmm. No interest on the proxy front. I'm surprised, but these are strange times.

Iadbound

Reaction score
Good point. I wasn't paying super close attention to that one, but had some luck last year with the G&G sale.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an official proxy service over there like some of the companies in Japan?

ant922599

Reaction score
I did manage to pick up a couple of pairs today. I arrived around 10.30am and there was still a decent amount of stuff, particularly in smaller and larger sizes.

I'm in 2 minds about the proxy stuff- I'd certainly like to benefit, but it is equally a bit sh*t for those that travel and have to wait while proxy buyers spend ages sending pictures to people and waiting for the green light or not. This is undoubtedly made worse by only being able to allow c.3 customers in at a time!

Anyway, a word of thanks to Simon and Jason (and Tom from the Jaunty Flaneur) - it must be a tough few days but they all did a great job helping where possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads