• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about some loafers this morning. I already have a Monaco in Vintage Oak and will probably get one in Vintage Cedar. But what is the next choice? I'm kind of torn between Oak Hatch Grain and Vintage Rioja. Thoughts?

Recycled photo here, but my thoughts as follows...

IMG_0054.jpg

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about some loafers this morning. I already have a Monaco in Vintage Oak and will probably get one in Vintage Cedar. But what is the next choice? I'm kind of torn between Oak Hatch Grain and Vintage Rioja. Thoughts?

My first GG loafer is going to be the Como - basically a Monaco but with a longer vamp. Worth considering?

papado

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some sizing advice, I am Uk 7E for last 348, 337,373 and also uk7E for john lobb 7000, all of these are also not too tight.
i am interested in irganise a MTO or RTW inGG, I was told to order 7.5uk but not sure if that’s right or not. And when order different last (possibly deco square, MH71) any difference in sizing ?
I am most interested in Mayfair :)
Thanks

Uk 7.5E would be the right size based on your other sizes. For the most part the G&G lasts all fit the same but some people have said they found the TG73/DG70 lasts to be a little narrow but it certainly depends on the wearer.

sforum1

Reaction score
Uk 7.5E would be the right size based on your other sizes. For the most part the G&G lasts all fit the same but some people have said they found the TG73/DG70 lasts to be a little narrow but it certainly depends on the wearer.
I find DG70<TG73<MH71

Jjjwww

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Hard to try in the size as in Australia and no place to try

Jjjwww

Reaction score
Also GG said something is coming up a few days before on Instgram, anyone know what it is?

sforum1

Reaction score
Is that the narrow-ness or the length?
Length I think is the same. I was referring to the volume overall. The DG70 for me feels tighter/narrower. And I understand that each person's foot is different but, at the same time, the fact that for some people this differential in volume exists, that tells you that there must me some truth to it in an objective sense.

Another thing that people don't talk about quite enough is that your experience might not have to do necessarily with your feet and how they are different from everyone else's, but also with the specific pairs you own. It has happened to me often that I have a paid in size X and last Y and when I get another pair in the same size and last, for some reason they fit very differently. So I can see how someone can say TG73<DG70 but my experience is that DG70<TG73. And this only having to do with the specific pairs we each own, and nothing about the lasts themselves or our different feet.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Anyone try Skoaktiebolaget shoe trees? Did you simply take the same size as your GG UK size?

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone try Skoaktiebolaget shoe trees? Did you simply take the same size as your GG UK size?
They come only in full sizes so take a half size down. For example, if you G&G shoe size is 8 or 8.5 you would take Skoaktiebolaget shoes in size 8 UK.

papado

Reaction score
They come only in full sizes so take a half size down. For example, if you G&G shoe size is 8 or 8.5 you would take Skoaktiebolaget shoes in size 8 UK.

I've also found that the skoak trees work better on certain GG lasts than others. I have a 10.5E MH71 arran which takes the UK10 skoak tree very well (arguably as well as the GG), however my DG70 rothschilds in the same size don't take to the skoak tree as well. I'd venture that for a rounder last you may want to size down one more size but I don't have the comparisons to prove it.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I've also found that the skoak trees work better on certain GG lasts than others. I have a 10.5E MH71 arran which takes the UK10 skoak tree very well (arguably as well as the GG), however my DG70 rothschilds in the same size don't take to the skoak tree as well. I'd venture that for a rounder last you may want to size down one more size but I don't have the comparisons to prove it.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m going for a TG73 in the lower end of the size (.0 as opposed to .5), so hoping the corresponding Skoak tree size will fit well. G&G aren’t cheap, but I have a hard time justifying $200 trees. I also think the Skoaks look better. Any other feedback is much appreciated.

rdaws

Reaction score
I need a little help with sizing on the Deco. I want to pick up the Urban Commandos, and I've got the Wigmore in 9.0E on the TG73. They fit well, but on my left foot I do often feel my smaller toes (3rd through 5th) running into the end of the boot as the toebox narrows. From pics, the Deco square last looks like it might narrow even more, and I'm worried that might be just enough to go from "fits well" to "uncomfortable." Any experience between these two? I've considered sizing up to 9.5E on these to cover that issue and also allow for some thicker socks, but I don't want to end up with heel slippage because they're too big. It's all MTO so I can't return anything or try it on beforehand, so any help would be appreciated!

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I’ve been eyeing these Stefano Bemers’ ever since I saw the bespoken version on PS a couple of years ago.

A6396E8A-54F6-4BE4-9F71-93450FCDACAC.jpeg

But now considering whether I should instead go with a pair of GG Saint James II in tan hatchgrain? Both considering GG’s current 20 pct. discount, but also because I know my size in GG. Any thoughts on this and SB quality vs. GG?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads