• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dauster

Reaction score
Can't speak to all of your questions, but I believe the Urban Commando was originally introduced with the Deco line (not 100% sure) and built on the Deco Square. Here's a link I found: .

Also, see this video:

Not sure who you are emailing with, but Dean has been helping me via email, and obviously he has a great feel for this process. Suggest you reach out to him or the Savile Row store.
thanks I guess the most important question if the 82 and 888 EG lasts are really similar to the KN14 G&G lasts. In the past Dean has been emailing with me but not sure who I was talking to today...
Also more interested in the Urban commando, especially given the price of 1,100 pounds exl. VAT

papado

Reaction score
Need your guy's help with G&G - I am tempted to order an Antibes loafer and an Urban Commando given no MTO fee for the next month. Since EG is readily available for me they suggested to try on the 82 last and 888 lasts which is closest to the KN14 loafer last from G&G. Is that true?
They also said that they Urban Commando does not have a specified last given that it's MTO but I have a hard time believing that they don't have a standard last since we are not talking full bespoke. Any suggestions of lasts from other makers that I can try for the Urban Commando.

Also, non of the regular sized UK11 that I have tried on from G&G even fit me at all. Way too tight and narrow - wasn't even close to being a good fit. Never tried the Antibes though. The models I tried on were the Uppingham, Capri, Chester, Carnegie and Sinatra.

The Carmina rain last fits pretty well in regular E and UK11.

On a side note, I am not sure how much I trust the G&G guy I have been emailing with since I had to explain to him what a "fitting/ trial shoe" is.
In G&G you're likely to be a 11.5UK, not an 11 which is maybe why you're having some initial issues getting a gauge on fitting from that first encounter. The urban commando is on the deco last which is probably what they meant when they said there's no comparable last to compare it to?

How does the carmina fit you? I believe the rain last has a fairly high instep and somewhat larger heel compared to other makers--if you really need both of those factors you may have to stay away from G&G until you get a really good chance to gauge the fit. I would say G&G is closer fitting than EG [and many other shoes] in the same size but general fitment should be consistent (I'm a 10.5E UK in both makers across lasts).

dauster

Reaction score
In G&G you're likely to be a 11.5UK, not an 11 which is maybe why you're having some initial issues getting a gauge on fitting from that first encounter. The urban commando is on the deco last which is probably what they meant when they said there's no comparable last to compare it to?

How does the carmina fit you? I believe the rain last has a fairly high instep and somewhat larger heel compared to other makers--if you really need both of those factors you may have to stay away from G&G until you get a really good chance to gauge the fit. I would say G&G is closer fitting than EG [and many other shoes] in the same size but general fitment should be consistent (I'm a 10.5E UK in both makers across lasts).
Thanks, seems like I definitely need the high instep but I have a tiny bit of heel slippage in the UK11 rain which doesn't bother me since I got mine for cheap from GF (clearance) for $250. But spending $1,500 I would like the fit to be perfect. Maybe I will try some GG in 11.5 then.
Since G&G offers to send me a fitting shoe would you feel comfortable making the order? I am already seeing a bunch of back and forth and endless shipping from and to the UK... but the MTO fee waived offer is really enticing.

papado

Reaction score
Thanks, seems like I definitely need the high instep but I have a tiny bit of heel slippage in the UK11 rain which doesn't bother me since I got mine for cheap from GF (clearance) for $250. But spending $1,500 I would like the fit to be perfect. Maybe I will try some GG in 11.5 then.
Since G&G offers to send me a fitting shoe would you feel comfortable making the order? I am already seeing a bunch of back and forth and endless shipping from and to the UK... but the MTO fee waived offer is really enticing.
If you have a high instep then you'll really only be able to do G&G MTO as their RTW stuff has a relatively low instep to my knowledge. There is a poster on this thread who gets all his shoes MTO and has an instep adjustment made (I forget his forum name, think he is based in UK and ggdecoman or something on instagram--you've certainly seen pics of his shoes!).

If you want G&G shoes then I think your only option is the trial shoes--I would ask for a 11.5E and an 11.5F just to be safe (If you're regular width then E should be fine but they are quite fitted so depending on feet/preference you may want to try F). Their lasts in theory are all the same back part with a different toe shape so you should be ok once you dial in size.

I like G&G shoes but I feel like they are getting a little rich price-wise, though this MTO event sure helps keep it in check.

dauster

Reaction score
If you have a high instep then you'll really only be able to do G&G MTO as their RTW stuff has a relatively low instep to my knowledge. There is a poster on this thread who gets all his shoes MTO and has an instep adjustment made (I forget his forum name, think he is based in UK and ggdecoman or something on instagram--you've certainly seen pics of his shoes!).

If you want G&G shoes then I think your only option is the trial shoes--I would ask for a 11.5E and an 11.5F just to be safe (If you're regular width then E should be fine but they are quite fitted so depending on feet/preference you may want to try F). Their lasts in theory are all the same back part with a different toe shape so you should be ok once you dial in size.

I like G&G shoes but I feel like they are getting a little rich price-wise, though this MTO event sure helps keep it in check.
Yes, thanks for the advice. I agree with the pricing and would love to get some feedback of the other member that gets all GGs as MTO.
Overall I am just not that confident that the fitting shoes will be of that much help since I will have to give all the feedback via photos and email and nobody from G&G will ever see my feet. but maybe I am making too much of a big deal out of it...
What do you guys think about getting MTO GGs as your first ever GG purchase and given the troubles with fit I have had in the past?

Iadbound

Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the advice. I agree with the pricing and would love to get some feedback of the other member that gets all GGs as MTO.
Overall I am just not that confident that the fitting shoes will be of that much help since I will have to give all the feedback via photos and email and nobody from G&G will ever see my feet. but maybe I am making too much of a big deal out of it...
What do you guys think about getting MTO GGs as your first ever GG purchase and given the troubles with fit I have had in the past?
In a way, that's what I'm doing. I went to the showroom in New York, which was helpful, but only to a point because I needed some additional tweaks due to a hallux issue. So I started corresponding with Dean, and eventually decided to get a pair of fitting shoes, which I posted here. Anyway, that was helpful, and from photos and email, we developed a final plan for tweaks to an order for a pair of the Saint James II. I'm waiting for the order to be fulfilled.

Since then, I bought two used pairs of G&G on ebay. I've only worn one so far, but it confirmed that I need some stretching, etc. in the places that Dean and I came up with. So, I'm feeling even more confident about my MTO order.

Even if you could go to Savile Row and have a more detailed fitting, there is no 100% guarantee it will be a "perfect" fit. In the end: I like the shoes; I really like how helpful Dean has been; and I took the plunge. I'm already pondering the Burnham with the MTO offer even though I don't even have the SJII's yet.

dauster

Reaction score
In a way, that's what I'm doing. I went to the showroom in New York, which was helpful, but only to a point because I needed some additional tweaks due to a hallux issue. So I started corresponding with Dean, and eventually decided to get a pair of fitting shoes, which I posted here. Anyway, that was helpful, and from photos and email, we developed a final plan for tweaks to an order for a pair of the Saint James II. I'm waiting for the order to be fulfilled.

Since then, I bought two used pairs of G&G on ebay. I've only worn one so far, but it confirmed that I need some stretching, etc. in the places that Dean and I came up with. So, I'm feeling even more confident about my MTO order.

Even if you could go to Savile Row and have a more detailed fitting, there is no 100% guarantee it will be a "perfect" fit. In the end: I like the shoes; I really like how helpful Dean has been; and I took the plunge. I'm already pondering the Burnham with the MTO offer even though I don't even have the SJII's yet.
Got it. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have to see how much of another project I am willing to take on. While I love the fittings when the tailor comes to by and discusses everything I am not sure how much patience I have for another slow process... Hell I am already annoyed at Berluti. they still haven't really gotten back to me and its already been 6 weeks - only on a vague email stating that they are working things out... It's not like I ordered a shipment of 2,000 tanks.... not sure sure what there is to figure out.

Iadbound

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have to see how much of another project I am willing to take on. While I love the fittings when the tailor comes to by and discusses everything I am not sure how much patience I have for another slow process... Hell I am already annoyed at Berluti. they still haven't really gotten back to me and its already been 6 weeks - only on a vague email stating that they are working things out... It's not like I ordered a shipment of 2,000 tanks.... not sure sure what there is to figure out.
Where to fit the turret on the last? :rolleyes: And good luck.

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
Need your guy's help with G&G - I am tempted to order an Antibes loafer and an Urban Commando given no MTO fee for the next month. Since EG is readily available for me they suggested to try on the 82 last and 888 lasts which is closest to the KN14 loafer last from G&G. Is that true?
They also said that they Urban Commando does not have a specified last given that it's MTO but I have a hard time believing that they don't have a standard last since we are not talking full bespoke. Any suggestions of lasts from other makers that I can try for the Urban Commando.

Also, non of the regular sized UK11 that I have tried on from G&G even fit me at all. Way too tight and narrow - wasn't even close to being a good fit. Never tried the Antibes though. The models I tried on were the Uppingham, Capri, Chester, Carnegie and Sinatra.

The Carmina rain last fits pretty well in regular E and UK11.

On a side note, I am not sure how much I trust the G&G guy I have been emailing with since I had to explain to him what a "fitting/ trial shoe" is.
Based on my experience in the Carmina Rain Last I wear a 10.5 UK, Simpson 11 UK and G&G Deco Last 11 UK. You are probably better off in an 11.5 UK.

I hope this helps...

nevaeh

Reaction score
thanks I guess the most important question if the 82 and 888 EG lasts are really similar to the KN14 G&G lasts. In the past Dean has been emailing with me but not sure who I was talking to today...
Also more interested in the Urban commando, especially given the price of 1,100 pounds exl. VAT
If it is any help, I am a half size bigger on G&G's TG73 than I am on EG's 82 last. To put it in numbers, on EG's 82 last, I am a size 7/7.5E; on G&G's TG73 last, I am a size 7.5E.

dauster

Reaction score
If it is any help, I am a half size bigger on G&G's TG73 than I am on EG's 82 last. To put it in numbers, on EG's 82 last, I am a size 7/7.5E; on G&G's TG73 last, I am a size 7.5E.
Understood, thank you. I guess it has been established that I need to buy at least 0.5 size bigger for GG - curious to know why the folks at wilkes and bashford could not have told me that nor the gent I was corresponding directly with at G&G... slowly but surely, I am assuming for the 2022 MTO event, I will have my size nailed down.
At this point I wonder why don't they have a chart that makes these obvious fit questions clear?

ixk

Reaction score
Understood, thank you. I guess it has been established that I need to buy at least 0.5 size bigger for GG - curious to know why the folks at wilkes and bashford could not have told me that nor the gent I was corresponding directly with at G&G... slowly but surely, I am assuming for the 2022 MTO event, I will have my size nailed down.
At this point I wonder why don't they have a chart that makes these obvious fit questions clear?
"0.5 size bigger" might feel as a gross oversimplification for G&G, since it's only a rough approximation that doesn't take anything into account beyond length and width of the feet.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell I am already annoyed at Berluti. they still haven't really gotten back to me and its already been 6 weeks - only on a vague email stating that they are working things out... It's not like I ordered a shipment of 2,000 tanks.... not sure sure what there is to figure out.
That kind of sucks especially at the prices you pay at Berluti. When I ordered my shoes from JLP through the Houston boutique, they always kept me informed and responded to my emails usually within a couple of business days.

dauster

Reaction score
That kind of sucks especially at the prices you pay at Berluti. When I ordered my shoes from JLP through the Houston boutique, they always kept me informed and responded to my emails usually within a couple of business days.
Absolutely, apparently I am the first customer in the history of their bespoke shop that starts the process in a country where he doesn't intend to pick up his shoes upon final delivery. I wanted to pay in Singapore (where I got measured initially) but they would not let me and then told me I have to pick a store where I make the initial payment and then that is also the shop where I get final delivery. I chose Paris because the shoes are the cheapest in France and I will also claim the VAT refund, but other than a vague email that they are working on it and that it's possible nothing yet. I am honestly not even sure if I will go through with it. While the appointment was great and I still love the shoes I am getting less and less patient with companies charging top dollar but then can't deliver/ organize things in a a timely manner.

Reactions: AWu

dauster

Reaction score
"0.5 size bigger" might feel as a gross oversimplification for G&G, since it's only a rough approximation that doesn't take anything into account beyond length and width of the feet.
Understood, will obviously take the other factors also into account. G&G has already reached out to me via PM to better help me with my sizing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%