• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Thorpe vs EG Nevis ?
Oak Vs Kudu ?

When considering Thorpe vs Nevis two things to consider. Aesthetics and Last. Aesthetics are a personal preference and personally I opted for Thorpe as I like the additional stitching that the Thorpe has on the side of the boot vs the Nevis which does not. I just thought the Nevis looked a bit too plain Jane without it for my taste. I also like the MH71 Last as I find it extremely pleasing in appearance and fit. Fit is something you should consider and this will all depend on your feet. I have found the MH71 one of the best fitting Last for my feet. As far as leather I just find Kudu to have a bit of different character which isn't extremely obvious but a nice added touch. I have quite a few boots and shoes in grain but just a few nice additions in Kudu. So Kudu was a very easy choice for me.

Last edited:

Chowkin

Reaction score
What is the construction?

Think it’s Goodyear welted

Quote:

“We have toned down the lines of our regular range, lowered the heel and taken away some of the more sculptured features of the sharper Gaziano Girling bench made shoe to make this shoe as English as can be. There are 5 styles, Churchill the classic punched cap toe oxford, Barder the classic semi-brogue oxford, Chamberlin a full brogue country derby shoe, Wallis the casual suede Chukka boot and finally the Chadwick a classic English loafer.

The familiar Oak bark sole, high grade calf skin leathers and craftsmanship are still very much the same. We have 2 lasts, a classic round toe called R18, and a soft square toe called S45. Both are EX fitting which is in-between E and F .”

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C2F9A231-81F6-493F-BFAD-B984030ACA14.jpeg
F5DEB365-CF83-4316-BD62-005D76D3F265.jpeg

American bison shearling lined X Isaia !!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks to me as rebranded C&Js

G&G own their own factory, wood be really stupid to buy shoes from another one.. Of course they are made by G&G, simpler made soles etc, but same leather, same oak bark tanned soles, same real leather heel stiffeners etc. Don't think it's such a bad idea, lots of traditional British old school fellas shopping on Savile Row who think their regular things are too modern.

sforum1

Reaction score
G&G just launched their Classic range at £580 ex VAT
What makes them cheaper? For a 300GBP differential, there must be a substantial difference in terms of quality. The leather is of lower quality? It must be. If the leather is the same then what could be to justify 300GBP?

By the way I thought they would have to do this if they wanted to grow at all, or even not decline in business. Once they got into the Chinese market, considered to be the ultimate source of growth for any company, then things could only go down from here. To expand your target by lowering quality/prices is the only way to go. Many shoe manufacturers have been criticized to death for doing that and companies like G&G praised for sticking to their core values/principles of creating the best shoes one can create but here we go. After all, this is still a business. That's what it is. Any company's primary reason for existence is to create the best profits they can, NOT THE BEST SHOES THEY CAN.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes them cheaper? For a 300GBP differential, there must be a substantial difference in terms of quality. The leather is of lower quality? It must be. If the leather is the same then what could be to justify 300GBP?

By the way I thought they would have to do this if they wanted to grow at all, or even not decline in business. Once they got into the Chinese market, considered to be the ultimate source of growth for any company, then things could only go down from here. To expand your target by lowering quality/prices is the only way to go. Many shoe manufacturers have been criticized to death for doing that and companies like G&G praised for sticking to their core values/principles of creating the best shoes one can create but here we go. After all, this is still a business. That's what it is. Any company's primary reason for existence is to create the best profits they can, NOT THE BEST SHOES THEY CAN.

Basically answered your questions in this article. It's not for China, it's mainly for the domestic market, I'd say. Otherwise they wouldn't keep it to their own channels, they would be packing Medallion Shoes' shelves full with it.

WilYa

Reaction score
G&G own their own factory, wood be really stupid to buy shoes from another one.. Of course they are made by G&G, simpler made soles etc, but same leather, same oak bark tanned soles, same real leather heel stiffeners etc. Don't think it's such a bad idea, lots of traditional British old school fellas shopping on Savile Row who think their regular things are too modern.
I think it is actually a great idea from a business POV. The brand recognition has grown greatly over the years, it is time to embrace the public. You can never make real money if you only cater connoisseurs.
For rebranding, that was purely my guess judging by the outsole finish on the pics, hope people could shed more light when they have the shoes on hand. I don't think GG factory is that big though, more of a workshop and not ideal for real benchmaking. They must have had a recent expansion to cope with such production volume. On the other hand, I believe CJ handgrade pricing for contract orders is around £150, not a bad deal if you have a strong brand.

sforum1

Reaction score
I think it is actually a great idea from a business POV. The brand recognition has grown greatly over the years, it is time to embrace the public. You can never make real money if you only cater connoisseurs.
For rebranding, that was purely my guess judging by the outsole finish on the pics, hope people could shed more light when they have the shoes on hand. I don't think GG factory is that big though, more of a workshop and not ideal for real benchmaking. They must have had a recent expansion to cope with such production volume. On the other hand, I believe CJ handgrade pricing for contract orders is around £150, not a bad deal if you have a strong brand.

I believe that. Essentially the shoes you buy at Macys and other places like that cost $1.20 to make and they sell them for $120 (if that) retail and the high end shoes cost $120 and they sell them $1200.

WilYa

Reaction score

£300RRP may translate into £50 cost, which can be contributed by the finish of beveled waist with fiddle-back and stacking heels, etc.

sforum1

Reaction score
Also £580 is just under the magic $800 threshold for additional duties and fees so that's good. If not, we'd still be looking at $1000 shoes and that would be a real shame.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Also £580 is just under the magic $800 threshold for additional duties and fees so that's good. If not, we'd still be looking at $1000 shoes and that would be a real shame.

Wonder if shipping one shoe (instead of a pair) at a time makes sense then? :bounce2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads