• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dte421

Reaction score
The pictures on the G&G website (of most shoes) are pretty poor but ironically they actually capture the Grant colour quite well - I had presumed it was darker based on quite a few other pics elsewhere online. They are a tad darker in person than in my pictures.

Re trousers: I'd happily wear burgundy / oxblood shoes with pretty much anything - I find them very versatile (albeit the Grant wholecut style not so much). In practicality, I generally wear navy or shades of grey anyway.

BTW it may surprise some that, while I haven't got out the measuring tape, the Deco waist is not obviously narrower than the Moore. While the G&G is a fantastic shoe, I must say the Moore is fantastic comparative value for money.

I know there was a long discussion about this in another thread, but I do have to say - the Moore is one of the best values out there IMO as well. Considering with the AFPOS discount you generally get them for 50% or less of the cost of the St. James, it's a good spot in anyone's collection to save a bit of coin :)... but that's not to say it's the same level of quality, of course. I'm happy to have one of each haha

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody knows Edward Green's split toe Dover model, right?

Hove is Gaziano&Girling's version, with a sleeker and slimmer profile, here made on the DG70-last from maple-coloured calfskin.

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com02.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com03.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com04.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com05.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com06.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com07.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com08.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com09.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com10.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com11.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com12.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com13.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com14.jpg

GazianoGirling_norwegian_split_toe_derby_from_Keikari_dot_com15.jpg

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday a bumper haul of four MTO's arrived, which I'm very excited about. I wore the first - a pair of Carnegie monkstraps in navy crust calf - straight out of the Savile Row store yesterday. It's my first monkstrap, and I'm delighted to find that the fit is about as spot-on as I've ever felt in a standard non-custom last. Extremely comfortable, and they look great:

36148662_186725985344884_2206119675396358144_n.jpg

And today it was pair number two: my (sixth!!) Mitchell faux wingtip, this iteration on the square deco last in racing green. Much more my standard fare, I nonetheless could never find this boring:

34982776_487916538330330_4448447273717727232_n.jpg

As usual, the team at @GGSavileRow has been fantastic. I'm beyond pleased with how these have turned out.

PatchedUp

Reaction score
First off apologies for the rather long post... just some of my thoughts on a recent trip to the factory.

I've just returned from a short sartorial trip to London (mainly for a forward fitting for a C&M suit which is always a dangerous trip with G&G across the street) and sad to be back to the hum drum of work again on Monday.

Anyway, getting to the point, I had previously been chatting to Javier about his tips and tricks for a mirror finish so he kindly suggested the next time I popped in he would sit down with me and we would polish up a pair of mine together.

So much easier to see in person and greatly improved my technique and cut the time significantly. Whilst there I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a pair of St. Ives in Cedar and Sandstone suede - Tony happened to pop into the store at that point so was chatting away to him and he kindly offered to show me around the factory if I was ever around Kettering.

Fast-forward to this week...

So I was up in Kettering for the morning to visit the factory. Didn't take any pictures I'm afraid but there are some from various blogs if you search for them.

I met with Tony who took considerable time out of his busy schedule to show me all the steps involved in both the bespoke and RTW/MTO, as well as chatted to the men and women on the shop floor and seeing first hand the skill and dedication that goes into each and every (of the many) steps to produce a single pair of shoes, as well the stories behind some of the less obvious things such as the maintenance of the vintage machines and hand-crafting of the blades the clickers use. At some points it sounds like the easiest step is sometimes the making of the actual shoe (which looks difficult and I imagine is even more difficult than it looks)!

It was also nice to see just how integrated the repairs are - I only realised one pair weren't new when I picked them up and saw the creasing around the toe box - they otherwise looked brand new as the newly fitted soles were waiting to be painted.

A nice little surprise was spotting my St. Ives (I could spot them from a mile off despite being taped up for polishing as even in the G&G line they are still quite distinct) - even picked up a nice little tip for avoiding dirtying the suede when polishing!

It was a very relaxed atmosphere with everyone sharing a joke and a laugh. The skill of everyone in the factory was incredible as was the attention to detail, something which evidently shows in the final product.
Overall, it was a highly enjoyable experience and there was ample opportunity to ask questions and take everything in, as well as a nice chat over a cup of tea with some of the guys and girls on break.

I am incredibly grateful to Tony and everyone at G&G in Kettering and Javier @GGSavileRow for setting this up. It is certainly all the details that add to the customer experience!

Last edited:

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Tony really is a true Gent. I met him at the factory and he really made me feel at home.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just sent two of my older pairs back to the factory for reconditioning. I’m told it will take six weeks or so for the process. Interested to see the results.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just sent two of my older pairs back to the factory for reconditioning. I’m told it will take six weeks or so for the process. Interested to see the results.

Do you mean re-soling or just cosmetic work on the uppers?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you mean re-soling or just cosmetic work on the uppers?

It’s their only reconditioning service afaik. I’m not certain what that might include beyond re-soling. Perhaps others who’ve used the service can comment.

EDIT: On looking back at the email correspondence, she describes it as: “A resole, heel and full renovation“.

PatchedUp

Reaction score
It’s their only reconditioning service afaik. I’m not certain what that might include beyond re-soling. Perhaps others who’ve used the service can comment.

EDIT: On looking back at the email correspondence, she describes it as: “A resole, heel and full renovation“.

It depends on what work needs done, new sock liners etc. if needed. Basically can retain just the uppers if everything else needs something done to it.

They essentially look like brand new shoes again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics