STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

I have not seen any AS shoes in real, but looking at the picture upper to welt attachment of GG looks neater. Is it really the case?

2. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Yes, G&G’s finishing is top notch in the rtw shoes, I was asking about quality of materials.

3. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

Thanks for your answering my question.

I have GG of various vintage and I found some leather are good but some leathers are so so.

4. laufer

laufer Distinguished Member

I think it's worth of noting that AS used to have two lines, regular and handgrade line. AS Handgrade line was more expensive and used better materials. "For the Handgrade line only one pair of shoes can be made from this entire piece of leather." please see this link https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/my-new-alfred-sargent-handgrade-shoes.108696/

I think AS Handgrade line was comparable to GG shoes. However, I believe GG shoes are made of better material than current AS benchgrade line.

5. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Agreed, although they are actually interchangeable, GG rtw is modern days AS HG, as I was told.

6. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Does anyone actually know how many pairs G&G cuts per hide? and how many pairs AS cuts per hide? AS HG's difference compare to the Exclusive line is that they are more selective in only cutting one pair from the prime parts, I am not sure if the rest of the hide goes to Exclusive lines, and if the Exclusive lines just cut more pairs from one hide.

7. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

@The Shoe Snob should know more about the leather G&G uses, how many pairs they cut per hide, and similar details.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Got my shoes today. Happy they came in. Unfortunately one pair appears to have been tried on as they have creases. Really wouldn’t be an issue with me except the pair are the the wholecut Sinatra’s...

I can bring it up but technically the shoes are new and I don’t think much can be done as they’re from the sale. Oh well. Hopefully my gait will align with the current creases.

9. sforum1

sforum1 Well-Known Member

So a 50% sale is a retailer's license to do anything they want without the customer still being able to expect great customer service? Order delayed by not days but weeks, no courtesy email to explain what's going on unless you ask, creased us shoes etc. I'm just curious, where do you guys draw the line? Just curious?

Let's see all the offended GG fanboys come forward attack me again. Let's see them 'calling me out' that I have an 'agenda'. Let me spare you. I do have an agenda and it's this: I want my $1300 (or even $700) shoes not creased up. That is my agenda.

I have 11 pairs of G&G shoes in my closet too, AND YES I LOVE THEM, but that should not prevent me from finding certain things about the company unacceptable. And when I get something on sale, I expect the same quality product and same great service as last time when I paid full price. Unless the sale comes with the disclaimer that 'you pay less you get less'.

Last edited: May 16, 2018

10. JS31C

JS31C New Member

I think this is a very fair critique. I do not understand members' criticism in holding brands accountable. This forum shouldn't be limited to just the positives of a brand and a criticism shouldn't be dismissed as the user having an "agenda."

I will note that I had an issue with my order and it is in the process of being amicably resolved. So I will give credit to G&G for taking the initiative in doing so. I'm happy to give some rope if it comes to a resolution

11. Helix24

Helix24 New Member

Hi all,

Been a lurker on SF for about half a year and like Drzava I finally feel motivated to post. Firstly, I really appreciate all of your contributions from satorial to aesthetics and from practicalities to traditions of manufacture. So far I've been attempting to get through all 1.6k+ pages (!) and am about a quarter though and learning a lot!

As with my predecessor, I wish I could keep to a positive note and normally I would keep criticisms to myself. After all this is an appreciation thread. However, if it's true appreciation we do G&G no favours through censoring. If the various theories are true regarding testing capabilies (stock, B2B to B2C etc.), then surely we show appreciation also by highlighting our dissatisfaction - if they are open to it, with the tentative result that we may get an even better product and service and the condition that we remain civilised.

Regarding communication, I echo previous posters in that it is disapointing. From my experience with the Sample Sale where I never got a reply, not even to say that my size was out of stock, this slow/lack of communication was not unexpected. Therefore, I was not expecting much with this episode and at (almost) 3 weeks, they have not disapointed. I am in no hurry, but I am curious as to how long I need to wait until they will get in touch.

Two comments. Firstly, it is curious for a British manufacturer to eschew the British tradition of queuing as it does appear that some people who have ordered later have received responses (and deliveries!) earlier. One wonders what priority criteria are used to resolve the backlog. Secondly, it is worrying trend for a luxury brand where the 'customer is king' mentality should rule. Although the MTO and Bespoke likely use different systems to RTW, it does highlight fragilities in moving from B2B to B2C as discussed earlier. (Having read the first 150+ pages of this thread the reduction of contributions of affiliates such as Leaves and Nick A. seems to be a net loss). Customers who's entry point is RTW may be discouraged to repeat purchases or moving to MTO.

Finally, a subtext in the last few posts has been that at 50% off and the excessive backlog, we should not complain. There is merit here, although I argue the net benefit with the value of feedback. In addition, one must remember that we are buying a luxury. Much of the value to the consumer is how it makes you feel (and I'm not just talking about the comfort of the fit) - it is not just in the ownership of the physical good it is also the service, delivery and execution. Most of the need satisfied is emotional, not physical - we are not buying just a pair of shoes ... Regardless, I am sure this has been a useful exercise to assess their capabilities and intangibles.

Anyway, I still look forward to doubling my collection with three more pairs :D (my first RTWs!) despite the lackluster direct communication. In the meanwhile, let's see more shoes to inspire our next orders!

12. grc1

grc1 Distinguished Member

I heartily agree. To that end: yesterday, Mitchells in vintage rioja on the round deco last.

[​IMG]

13. ant922599

ant922599 Well-Known Member

Nice one @grc1 - looking resplendent in the sun!

14. nickrut

nickrut Distinguished Member

I have both the AS Moore and pairs of the GG St James. You would never mistake them for each other. The lines are more aesthetic on the GG and the finish quality is higher. It’s really not even close. I do enjoy my Moores but to me, the cost difference is justified.

15. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Well wurger is talking about material not aesthetic.