• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handmade luxury goods often take longer to make than we would wish. The best approach is to consider it part of the deal.

If you can't stand the wait then your only recourse is to consider another maker next time. But this is where it all breaks down - because there aren't so many good ones out there, are there?

You think it's tough getting shoes - try getting a $500,000 hand made murano glass chandelier on time. We normally advise our clients to assume at least 6 months later than quoted by the maker and to not get too upset if it's any less than a year late.

Art and commerce are a tough mix. If you wants the good stuff done your way you gots ta wait!

Regarding shoemakers, I do wish they would give you more realistic estimates however, it seems unproffesional to make promises you can't keep. I'd rather be told that I have to wait six months and receive them in five than be told two months and receive them in five.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Regarding shoemakers, I do wish they would give you more realistic estimates however, it seems unproffesional to make promises you can't keep. I'd rather be told that I have to wait six months and receive them in five than be told two months and receive them in five.

I think this point is more in the spirit of my question. I think it's better to surprise or deliver than keep people waiting. You go from having people peeved that they are waiting longer to thrilled that they got their order early. If anything it might make a customer feel special. As if their order was always at the front of the line.

I suppose the inverse to all this is that some people might be scared off from buying with overly realistic timelines. However, especially with luxury products, anyone that's made their mind up is in it one way or another.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think this point is more in the spirit of my question. I think it's better to surprise or deliver than keep people waiting. You go from having people peeved that they are waiting longer to thrilled that they got their order early. If anything it might make a customer feel special. As if their order was always at the front of the line.
I suppose the inverse to all this is that some people might be scared off from buying with overly realistic timelines. However, especially with luxury products, anyone that's made their mind up is in it one way or another.

Imagine God did this with cancer. You would have an entirely different feeling. Isn't that crazy?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
CLEARLY you haven't read my DNR.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never underestimate the increase in 'perceived value' that can be associated with an extra long lead time. In other words.......if a shoe that takes six months to get is good how great must a shoe that takes a year to get be?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been ordering shoes that I don't want because there is probably a 90% chance I will like them in 9 months.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Never underestimate the increase in 'perceived value' that can be associated with an extra long lead time. In other words.......if a shoe that takes six months to get is good how great must a shoe that takes a year to get be?

This is true. I always underestimate the stupidity of people. I'm so stupid.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
who in said? the best things in life are worth the wait?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

There is a risk by “surprising” clients by having their shoes delivered too early, and thus making them “feel special”. The client will be disappointed the next time if the delivery is late (or even on time). I run a company in the IT-service sector (no you can’t make a living being the trade agent of Gaziano & Girling and Rubinacci). We try to maintain a balanced service level that is neither above nor below the client’s expectations. The key is actually managing client expectation more than anything else. This might sound weird, but people in general (at least in Sweden, yes maybe we Swedes are a bit boring) will rather have a dependable supplier that delivers on time instead of a supplier with erratic distribution of their services. That said, I think luxury goods consumers have a different mindset and realize that this is a special business where delivery times are a bit more irregular. I think leather suppliers, last manufacturers, shoe tree suppliers and all other subcontractors involved in the actual making of one pair of G&G makes keeping a steady flow of shoes leaving the factory (and to be honest it’s more of an atelier than a proper factory) extremely challenging.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

who in said? the best things in life are worth the wait?

"What is best in life?" by the governator.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

There is a risk by “surprising” clients by having their shoes delivered too early, and thus making them “feel special”. The client will be disappointed the next time if the delivery is late (or even on time). I run a company in the IT-service sector (no you can’t make a living being the trade agent of Gaziano & Girling and Rubinacci). We try to maintain a balanced service level that is neither above nor below the client’s expectations. The key is actually managing client expectation more than anything else. This might sound weird, but people in general (at least in Sweden, yes maybe we Swedes are a bit boring) will rather have a dependable supplier that delivers on time instead of a supplier with erratic distribution of their services. That said, I think luxury goods consumers have a different mindset and realize that this is a special business where delivery times are a bit more irregular. I think leather suppliers, last manufacturers, shoe tree suppliers and all other subcontractors involved in the actual making of one pair of G&G makes keeping a steady flow of shoes leaving the factory (and to be honest it’s more of an atelier than a proper factory) extremely challenging.

I saw this interview for a pilot for Airforce One where he said they would routinely add extra time (maybe 15-20 minutes extra) for their expected arrival in case of a delay. If they were early, they would circle, and land precisely on time.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Handmade luxury goods often take longer to make than we would wish. The best approach is to consider it part of the deal.
If you can't stand the wait then your only recourse is to consider another maker next time. But this is where it all breaks down - because there aren't so many good ones out there, are there?
You think it's tough getting shoes - try getting a $500,000 hand made murano glass chandelier on time. We normally advise our clients to assume at least 6 months later than quoted by the maker and to not get too upset if it's any less than a year late.
Art and commerce are a tough mix. If you wants the good stuff done your way you gots ta wait!

i just want to say that its awesome that you sell chandeliers for half a mil. :fistbump:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads