1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Senior member

Beautiful closeup of the detail, thanks for posting, and thanks for the tip on Hermes Red!

2. mw313

mw313 Senior member

It is rosewood kudu so it is the actual leather. When being worn you don't see as much as in that photo, but the grain is still quite present and magnificent

3. mw313

mw313 Senior member

For the Tan Kudu Thorpe, I wear them with Denim most of the time, but also with some khaki and browns/blue on casual days to work. It works better than you'd think, if it is a causal Friday.

4. mw313

mw313 Senior member

That is an amazing photo of them and thanks for the tip on the Hermes Red. I'll have to have it ready for this pair.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Cream or wax, and did you find that it significantly covered up any of the darker lines (black) in the leather?

6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I used the cream, and no I did not find any change in the lines in the leather. Today I tried a black wax, brown wax, and burgundy cream, and after polishing noticed no real change in colors. The kudu leather seems to have a very tough and hard `shell` that is quite stubborn to taking new colors is my opinion. I find it also quite a stiff and dry leather, and as I say has this quite tough `shell` that absorbs very little nutrient. I beautiful and very unusual leather, but not very `absorbing`.

7. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

St James 2 in dark brown suede?...good first & only pair of suedes? Good with suits & SCs? Casual as well? or always more formal? Is G&G known for suede compared to Vass, EG, etc? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. justonemore

Think 3 pairs.

Westminster in Vintage Cherry...
    [​IMG]

St James 2 in dark brown suede.

[​IMG]

St James 2 in Vintage Rioja.

[​IMG]

All 3 would be new to the collection as I have no full brogue oxfords in burgundy nor do I half a half brogue in burgundy nor do I have any suede. In fact, although no stranger to shoes, this will be my first G &G purchase (although I've had them on the must try list for awhile).

Thanks again gents.

9. grc1

grc1 Senior member

G&G Mitchells in vintage oak today.

[​IMG]

Separately, Rosewood kudu Ishams received this morning.

1 person likes this.
  10. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

You are making very solid choices G&G makes very dam good shoes above Vass & EG also very fashion forward & sleek looking. But it comes down to what you are seeking and want I have all three of those brands. If you are after suede & only suede leather for softness etc. I would say look into JL or stcrispin hands down best suede. In the business specially stcrispin. And grc1 love the color combo as all ways [​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. justonemore

...I would get them because they are very reasonably priced for the brand. They are available. They are suede. and I have no suede...although I've been suede curious for awhile now. If there were a reason not to get G&G suede then I might look at a couple other models of interest. I don't need the best suede. If these G&Gs will do, then I have no special desire to spend $1'600 or so on St. Crispin's or JL....Even if they are a bit nicer, the price difference here is in play as to budget...The question I'd really like to know is if a dark brown suede semi-brogue oxford is a versatile shoe...Do you guys find them easy to pair? I don't really want to buy a pair of shoes that will be hard to pair....That's why I love Burgundy...Throw it on with anything. lol.

12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

To answer your question yes it will get done what you asked and pair easly specially if you like suede. G&G has very solid suede also and will serve you well from your first post I miss understood you. I would recommend getting them assuming you like suede shoes brown color is very versatile in my opinion. And you would be able to dress them up or down. But all three shoes you posted are very solid choice.

13. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Hove
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Second this. I started out with G&G with v rioja myself (and v chestnut, which is in the mid-tone ballpark with vintage cherry). I've been a late bloomer as far as my suede curiosity, but I'm looking forward to a brown suede lace-up, too.

As far as non-black shoes go, I think you've got the initial colour bases covered quite well.

1 person likes this.
  15. justonemore

Thank you for your responses TtownMD....

That's the thing..I don't like suede but I don't dislike suede...I have absolutely no experience with the stuff at all. I don't mind trying it out. I would guess this might be a good opportunity to do so at a decent cost and G&G being a decent brand. If there's no reason other than "liking or not liking suede", then I would probably go ahead and get them because I have been interested in trying suede. I just haven't found a good opportunity to do so versus all the shell and calf I have.

16. ieasti

ieasti Well-Known Member

Let me add to this, just arrived midnight blue in tg73

[​IMG]

17. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Wow. I am REALLY looking forward to my Connaught MTO now! :drool:

18. harki

harki Member

Hi Guys,
    I am thinning my collection. Way too many great shoes are not getting any feet time. And that is a waste.
    So I am letting go of 11 pairs of Gaziano & Girling. Sizes 9E UK or 9.5E UK. Most are never worn or worn once.
    If you are interested, send me a PM.

19. ieasti

ieasti Well-Known Member

With 11 pairs most unworn, I can't even contemplate what else do you have as part of your collection!!!!

20. justonemore

What do you guys think? Would a Vintage Oak St James 2 go well with the previous 3? 3 St James 2 seems like quite a bit of the same style and shoe...and I wonder how often the Vintage Oak will be used compared to the Vintage Rioja. Tough call...It's a nice style...but a bit repetitive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]