• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Faster

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the Thorpe in a dark brown and EG Nevis. I'm leaning towards the leather sole and was wondering how you wear yours. This would be my first GG so wondering if anybody has opinions or even better yet pictures. I want to wear these with more casual clothes, and I have a slight concern around the Thorpe more elongated shape

I realize we all have different tastes, but just opening it up to see what other are doing/thinking of the Thorpe.

Thanks

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to decide between the Thorpe in a dark brown and EG Nevis. I'm leaning towards the leather sole and was wondering how you wear yours. This would be my first GG so wondering if anybody has opinions or even better yet pictures.  I want to wear these with more casual clothes, and I have a slight concern around the Thorpe more elongated shape 

I realize we all have different  tastes, but just opening it up to see what other are doing/thinking of the Thorpe. 

Thanks 

The Thorpe looks killer with Jeans IMHO (as well as heavier weight Flannel).

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to decide between the Thorpe in a dark brown and EG Nevis. I'm leaning towards the leather sole and was wondering how you wear yours. This would be my first GG so wondering if anybody has opinions or even better yet pictures.  I want to wear these with more casual clothes, and I have a slight concern around the Thorpe more elongated shape 

I realize we all have different  tastes, but just opening it up to see what other are doing/thinking of the Thorpe. 

Thanks 

I went through the same process you did a bit ago. I finally decided to go with the Thorpe, of course the recent Pre-Order from Skoak made that even easier. However regardless I had already determined the Thorpe in Arran Grain was the direction I was going to take regardless. When weighing the Thorpe against the Nevis quality of neither.was a concern, I figured both would be of equal quality. I did worry about fit and without trying on I had more concerns about the 606 Last based on what I had seen. Whether this is a real problem for me or not I decided the Thorpe got the edge here. After this all else were minor but added bonus. I have been looking for a boot in a lighter color and it appears Arran Grain although not extremely light, it appears lighter than the normal brown. Also sine I already have a few Galways it's nice to have a bit of a different design on the side that the Thorpe provides.

I would think in calf and a leather sole the Thorpe would be a good boot to wear with a suit.

Last edited:

Faster

Reaction score
I went through the same process you did a bit ago. I finally decided to go with the Thorpe, of course the recent Pre-Order from Skoak made that even easier. However regardless I had already determined the Thorpe in Arran Grain was the direction I was going to take regardless. When weighing the Thorpe against the Nevis quality of neither.was a concern, I figured both would be of equal quality. I did worry about fit and without trying on I had more concerns about the 606 Last based on what I had seen. Whether this is a real problem for me or not I decided the Thorpe got the edge here. After this all else were minor but added bonus. I have been looking for a boot in a lighter color and it appears Arran Grain although not extremely light, it appears lighter than the normal brown. Also sine I already have a few Galways it's nice to have a bit of a different design on the side that the Thorpe provides.

I would think in calf and a leather sole the Thorpe would be a good boot to wear with a suit.
Thank you. This is helpful.

That Arran Grain is by far the best representation of Thorpe I've seen, wish I got into that MTO.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. This is helpful. 

That Arran Grain is by far the best representation of Thorpe I've seen, wish I got into that MTO. 

I missed out last year because of other priorities, and frankly I was still debating which direction to take. Nevis vs Thorpe, but I had no intention of missing out this year.

I also have to say that of all the pictures that I have seen so far the Thorpe is a better looking boot to me.

Last edited:

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the RL version of the Thorpe (with Speedhooks). They Call it "Dark brown burnished calf" - Vintage Oak I believe

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the RL version of the Thorpe (with Speedhooks). They Call it "Dark brown burnished calf" - Vintage Oak I believe

There were a few of these available on Ebay for a decent price not too long ago. There might be some left.

greasymonkey

Reaction score
Is the D fitting of the Thorpe narrower than the E?? or just a matter of US and UK fitting sizing.

Last edited:

Flimsychicken

Reaction score

Yes in uk standard d is more narrow than e
Uk E = US D

Is the D fitting of the Thorpe narrower than the E?? or just a matter of US and UK fitting sizing.

FWIW, I owned these. I found them to fit like a regular or medium width (notwithstanding them being marked "D" width), but I didn't have another pair of G&Gs on the MH71E to compare. They were too long, so I had to sell them. I may try them 1/2 size smaller . . .

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a while, gents...

4f132c00df5b672e88b35d8128ce2668.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads