• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pardon my ignorance, I am very unfamiliar with GG and their shoes/options.  What is a wensum sole?

Rubber sole practically indestructible.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the Chukka is in my signature. If people are interested, please post in that thread and I will coordinate.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much. Wensum sole?
If you can confirm its highland grain, that's good with me. Not sure how pin grain looks.

Hard to say for sure. I have seen the pin grain & highland grain swatches, and the pin grain looks a little more compact than these pics. However, the original poster @sartorial splendor stated it was pin grain. Maybe he can confirm for you...

Pin grain is finer like this, but maybe it varies by skin? edit: now going over swatches I'm not sure, but in person this grain is definitely more pin like

Well said news indeed. I did not want to interfere with Jubei efforts to organize his GMTO but now that is over I want to propose another GMTO idea.
Any interests in either of these models

GG Woburn on GG06

GG Wells on MH71

Let me know what colors or soles are on your wish list.

Interest check any of your interest in Racing Green Hatch grain color? For example this shoe made in Racing Green Hatch grain

Would be interested in both, maybe fill out specs of what you want so people have a better idea?

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The pic looks like highland grain, not pin grain. Which leather are you going for?

Don't forget G&G English Grain, it is a sublime grain that we'll be stocking next season Nicer than Hatch Grain IMO. Yes you heard me. :hide:

Picture URL from Leffot:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't forget G&G English Grain, it is a sublime grain that we'll be stocking next season Nicer than Hatch Grain IMO. Yes you heard me. :hide:

Picture URL from Leffot:

My GG Galway has the shaft in english grain. I like it, but a little thinner than other GG grains, and it is a little stiff IMO in comparison. Not as stiff as GG pig skin though, and here i thought it would be peccary soft... :hide:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interest check in this model

GG Woburn on GG06 last with ridgeway soles

Racing Green Hatch Grain color

Or maybe in Chestnut Pin Grain.

Let me know if you are interested, we are still in exploratory phase so specs have not been fully determined yet.

Tallcane

Reaction score

Interest check in this model

GG Woburn on GG06 last with ridgeway soles

Racing Green Hatch Grain color

Or maybe in Chestnut Pin Grain.

Let me know if you are interested, we are still in exploratory phase so specs have not been fully determined yet.

To be honest, I really like the shoe as pictured. Racing green is definitely out. Not really a fan of the ridgeway sole either. I will watch and see where you head with it. If you swing back more towards the original or even a lighter version of the original, I may jump back in. Good luck.

emiristol

Reaction score
G&G Mailman GMTO

Let's Get This Done Before it becomes even more expensive.

Model : G&G Rothschild
Last : MH71
Soles : Ridgeway
Welt: Storm
Color : Chestnut Hatch Grain

This is a winterized version of Gaziano & Girling's classic Rothschild oxford. With a storm welt and Ridgeway soles, it's tough enough to get you through rain, sleet, snow, and anything else that the season may throw your way. Made in beautiful chestnut hatch grain, it pairs well with blues and greys.

Participants so far, for this GMTO:

@dddrees (E)
@CHRK33
@emiristol (F)

Expressed interest

@NAMOR
@budapest12

i'm in the "expressed interest" group; sorry if I was unclear in my original post. not a definite yes yet

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G Mailman GMTO

A GMTO (with no additional MTO surcharge) for the G&G Rothschild would be 7040 SEK ex VAT per pair and where G&G lasted shoe trees are 1200 SEK ex VAT extra.

This price is only good until the end of February.

This is a winterized version of Gaziano & Girling's classic Rothschild oxford. With a storm welt and Ridgeway soles, it's tough enough to get you through rain, sleet, snow, and anything else that the season may throw your way. Made in beautiful chestnut hatch grain, it pairs well with blues and greys.

@dddrees (E)
@CHRK33 (E)

Expressed interest
@emiristol (F)
@NAMOR
@budapest12

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey buddy I'm not really a calf shoe man. I'm sitting this one out; need my pennies

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be honest, I really like the shoe as pictured. Racing green is definitely out. Not really a fan of the ridgeway sole either. I will watch and see where you head with it. If you swing back more towards the original or even a lighter version of the original, I may jump back in. Good luck.

Indeed it does look good, it is made in Brown Alpine Grain leather but this leather is not available anymore.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G Mailman GMTO

A GMTO (with no additional MTO surcharge) for the G&G Rothschild would be 7040 SEK ex VAT per pair and where G&G lasted shoe trees are 1200 SEK ex VAT extra.

This price is only good until the end of February.

@dddrees (E)
@CHRK33 (E)

Expressed interest
@emiristol (F)
@budapest12

Tallcane

Reaction score

Indeed it does look good, it is made in Brown Alpine Grain leather but this leather is not available anymore.

Did not know they weren't using that leather. Anything similar in dark brown with some texture?

What about the Wells? The more I look at it the more I like the Wells. Five eyelet is defitely better than the three eyelet derwent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics