1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Why do you want to remove the topy? It won't look any better with them removed. Soles of shoes always look like shit after some wear.

2 people like this.
  2. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior member

That would have been too easy. [​IMG]

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice!!

4. saurabh

saurabh Senior member

I am thinking about ordering the G&G Thorpe - Kudo version. I am not sure whether it will be too similar to the one i just purchased i.e. Thorpe - Arran Grain.
    Is Kudo a more durable leather ? and whether it will look very similar in terms of color.
    I really like the fit, feel and the design of Thorpe so inclined to order it. Would appreciate any feedback.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I ordered the Thorpe in Kudu and I received my Thorpe in Arran Grain a few months ago. I did so because I always regretted passing on the first Kudu version right after I joined the Pre-Order for the Arran Grain version. This will actually be my third Kudu shoe or boot that I ordered this year. I ordered and received the St James II in Tan Kudu and Vintage Cedar Calf and I also ordered the Isham in Rosewood Kudu.

I cant say the Arran Grain and Oak Kudu are going to be extremely different in color, but the Kudu certainly has a very distinct character which is quite different than the grain. The texture is quite different as well. I can't say that the Kudu is more durable than calf or grain for that matter either. I just know that it has a very distinct character that I really really like.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I heard it's very durable though.

1 person likes this.
  7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Could be. I may have forgotten this fact or not even seen it mentioned. But I find it to have a very interesting texture and appearance and this is the thing that intrigues me the most. If it also happens to be more durable or water resistant for some reason I would see that as a welcome plus.

8. jinjin1928

jinjin1928 Active Member

Can anyone advise on the MH71 last? How does it fit?

My EG sizing is as follows for boots - F82 uk9.5/10, F64 uk10/10.5. Im so tempted to get the arran grain thorpe but only available is uk10.5. Will that be too long And too big for me?

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I have heard this from Alden & Carmina SA, & few other ppl. So just going by what they said. And if it's true for them then I can say same for G&G :D

1 person likes this.
  10. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Recommendation from G&G website is go half size from your US size. I take 9UK on G&G & take 8.5UK on EG all last for both.

1 person likes this.
  11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Gazing and Girlings Lasts are a bit sleeker (narrow) than Edward Green. I'm a 11 E UK in all of the Edward Green Lasts I own so far 64, 82, 89, 202, and 888 and 11 E UK in both G&G Lasts I own TG73 and MH71. I find it hard to believe you could ever fit into a G&G E Last.

12. jinjin1928

jinjin1928 Active Member

Thanks Ttown so if thats the case I really need a UK10? I have a bit of a high instep and widefoot. How does the mh71 fit length wise? Is it long?

13. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I can't exactly tell you what you need but kind of gave you the guidance that was recommend by G&G website. You can drop Skoak gents an email & they will help you out. Use what I told you as a guidance.

1 person likes this.
  14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

That maybe true for what Alden calls Kudu, but then again their Kudu is all marketing and in reality isn't actually Kudu (Antelope). Carmina's Kudu may actually be the same as Alden's since they also source leather from Horween and from what I've seen it looks very similar. So I wouldn't apply their claims to the Kudu (Antelope) that G&G uses.

15. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

All right fair enough I had no idea it was all marketing & not kudu kudu that G&G uses.

16. jinjin1928

jinjin1928 Active Member

Ok thanks.

17. saurabh

saurabh Senior member

thanks @dddrees , yes i agree 100% that texture is quite different and interesting. Looking forward to see pics of your incoming Kudo shoes :)

18. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir and good luck with your decision. I do have the St James already by the way.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

Carmina Waxed Kudu Jumpers that I own are real kudu from CF Stead. It doesn't look anything like the Kudu G&G uses though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Good to know, I wasn't sure about Carmina. Rancourt also offers some shoes in boots in what they call Flint Kudu which is a suede.