1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Love the decos. I like that those patinas look to be opposite of each other.

2. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

luk-cha is the only one I know with that. . .

2 people like this.
  3. benjamin8451

benjamin8451 Well-Known Member

@Steven Cash Really nice shoes!!! They look even better in dark ambient.

4. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Well-Known Member

Thanks Benjamin. Couldn't agree more - very pleased.

5. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Tan kudu Thorpes are in! :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Fabulous, Congrats!!!

I really regret not getting on this GMTO, but I am really glad that latest Pre-Order came about.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  7. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

Nice boots, congrats!!. I like blind eyelets very much for that make up. Are they too tight on the instep?. E width?

8. Zapasman

Could you please commentate your fitting on the MH71 last,for that boot?. Thanks

9. andrel42

andrel42 Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Fabulous choice Sir! Congratulations !!!!

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed know I see why you didn't go for oak kudu.

1 person likes this.
  11. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

Cheers gents. :cheers:

They're E width - I took a halfsize up to 10E relative to my dress shoes to accommodate thicker socks. As far as instep, the derby-style open lacing is much more forgiving than the closed lacing of my dress shoes, which are all oxford styles - in all my dress shoes I've always asked for an "instep cone" to make the last a bit more generous on the instep to minimise the dreaded V-gap. I don't want a full closure on the Thorpes anyway - for derby styles I like a gap that's fairly consistent in width, for oxford styles I like it as small as possible without the facings actually meeting.

1 person likes this.
  12. TtownMD

grc1 so it's safe to say to take same size as my tg73 st James last shoes for thrope kudu?

13. Zapasman

Happy to hear that E widht is good for you. Thanks.

14. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

If you're happy with the fit of your St James and plan to wear the Thorpes in much the same way, then I'd say yes, IMO.

It's all down to personal taste - for me, dress shoes need to be very snug (especially when you're talking deco last!) to keep the creasing/bubbling to a minimum, have a sleek look and avoid looking like clown shoes. With boots, I'm more relaxed - lasts like MH71 or TG73 are more forgiving, and for the Thorpes I think a bit more "give" in terms of fit is appropriate considering the more rugged styling. Hence my ordering a half-size up to 10E.

On a side note, I ordered the Isham GMTO in my "dress shoe" size (9.5E) because I see it as a dressier shoe than my Thorpes, but because of the last I'm expecting it to fit a little less severely than my decos, based on my experience at the Savile Row store. We'll see how it works out. :)

15. TtownMD

Thank you for your feed back, helps out a lot I got same size for all :D

1 person likes this.
  16. Diabolical

Diabolical Well-Known Member

i remeasured my feet on the brannock and it appears one foot is a 9E and the other foot is a 9 1/2 D/E. I ended up sizing up by a 1/2. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks for the recommendation.

17. benjamin8451

I am ambivalent about the snug and crease thing. I personally have a pair of EG Chelsea 82 last. They fit really snug - I can only wear thin socks and my toe area will get rather uncomfortable after some walk. However they don't crease less than my other EG shoes which are half size larger. So I tend to think snugness has nothing to do with creases.

18. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

I do agree to the extent that leather will always crease - only way to avoid it is to not wear them! Maybe a slightly more descriptive term for what I can't stand would be "buckling" - when there's simply too much room between the foot and the leather. Completely a matter of personal taste.

Personally, my threshold for judging where "creasing" becomes "buckling", especially for dress shoes, is low - I can't deal with shoes where, after a few wearings the reinforced toe puff stands up like a bubble while the rest of the leather further up the vamp has collapsed onto the foot. Or where the natural crease at the toe joints actually starts cutting down onto the toes. Drives me crazy, especially at G&G's price point.

19. benjamin8451

Yes, yes!

:slayer:

I also hate it when my outer sole gets scraped.

:angry:

1 person likes this.
  20. armsignet

armsignet Well-Known Member

I find the opposite. I had a plain toe Carmina on the Rain last. The length was okay, but it was too wide. The toe looked like hell very quickly because the extra material allowed the leather to bunch and pinch rather than just flex.

So, I agree with grc1 on snug fitting for elongated lasts, especially with a plain toe. Not that it reduces creasing, but I think it keeps creasing from being much worse.