• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My only experience with Rain is that it fits true, UK9 wholecuts are fine for me whereas TG73 is a bit narrow/ tight and I have to size up half a size for a bit more comfort especially boots although I have a pair of Oakhams in 9 that I can just about squeeze into but are more snug than I usually like.

emiristol

Reaction score
Yes that is what both Dean and Tony said but your mileage may vary. I could not fit in tg73, the toebox was squishing my toes and when I went a half a size up it was too long and that is why my Wigmores are on sale.
Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear. Was considering a pair in TG73 but my feet get squished in the Simpson, even in a half size up.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was told by the G&G employees at the Savile Row store that all of the lasts are roughly the same fit, so there will be no size changing. I can't wear any Carmina lasts besides the Simpson, so I can't comment on fit relative to others. From my experience, Carmina is incredibly wide in the heel, which is my smallest part, which is why I can wear the narrow lasts that others seemingly cannot.

The TG73 is really a comfortable last, at least for me, and I recommend it highly.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes that is what both Dean and Tony said but your mileage may vary. I could not fit in tg73, the toebox was squishing my toes and when I went a half a size up it was too long and that is why my Wigmores are on sale.

Common misconception. The Simpson last isn't narrow. It's a low instep last (as is the TG73).

I wear UK E width shoes, and Simpson is perfect for me (C&J's 348 last is also good for low insteps).

emiristol

Reaction score
Common misconception. The Simpson last isn't narrow. It's a low instep last (as is the TG73).

I wear UK E width shoes, and Simpson is perfect for me (C&J's 348 last is also good for low insteps).

My Simpson lasted pair measures a full 1 cm less across the widest part of the sole compared to my Rain lasted shoe in the same size. It is not just an instep difference---there is a considerable and well-documented difference in width as well.

Revilo

Reaction score
Aaaand picture time!
Gable in fox suede and vintage oak (iPhone pic unfortunately)

lartiste

Reaction score
Where in the EU? Others may disagree/agree, but I find the Carmina Simpsons and TG73 to be very similar fits.
Prague, no Carmina store, but I will try to make purchase oline and we will see. Many thanks, good idea :).

lartiste

Reaction score
Where in the EU? Others may disagree/agree, but I find the Carmina Simpsons and TG73 to be very similar fits.
Live in Prague. OK, Carmina should be good to start with, I can purchase the shoes directly from Carmina or from Skoaktiebolaget, assume both have buyers friendly return options :).

Many thanks!

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Live in Prague. OK, Carmina should be good to start with, I can purchase the shoes directly from Carmina or from Skoaktiebolgaet, assume both have buyers friendly return options :).

Many thanks!

Since the Euro is taking a hit, I recommend ordering from the continent.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Try the Aussie Dollar.

We were loving life and now we are hitting the skids.

Just in time for my visit to Paris...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads