1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Not sure if these are supposed to be same length in fact. They would be made this way I imagine. But I was surprised of the difference. No, it's the 73 and 71 lasts. Square at top and soft square below. Not sure if a slip-on or lace up had any connection to this. As I say the fits are fine though although I have not worn them in I feel that the way my foot fits is not going to be an issue.

2. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

@davevy. No I'm not focussing on the curvature, although I think it's different as the back finish is different. The Braclays have a middle stitch. What I am demonstrating is that the end of the heel is on the same line - viewed from the top it might not look like it is the case - but this may be due to the curvature.

3. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

@ddrees- reading your comment again you would think it natural that they are different? They are different lasts but I thought this was mainly the toe shape. Would a slip on and a lace up on the same last be different I wonder ?

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yeah I also thought the biggest difference was the toe shape as well. I didn't think there would be a difference in overall length. When I get a chance I'll have to take out my two pairs and see if this is the case with mine as well. I have a pair of Thorpes on the MH71 and a pair of Hayes on the TG73. I tend to find that boots have a more generous fit on the same Last for some reason but a Last should basically be the same size regardless of what shoe it is used on.

5. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Different lasts would more likely than not have different lengths. I understand that the various G&G lasts are supposed to fit the same, so presumably the ball to heel lengths would be identical. But the toe boxes are different hence differences in overall lengths

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Thank for posting & good comparison :D

7. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

@mw313 yes sir I am ready for midnight blue gable :D

8. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Great to know. Now who else has interest in a midnight blue gable on the TG73?

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

[​IMG]
    Time to break them in !!!

3 people like this.
  10. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

Nice one Sir; looking great!

1 person likes this.
  11. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Thank you andrel42

12. Pbayvip

Pbayvip Senior member

[​IMG]

Cross-post:

Arran MTO in tan kudu, with the help of gentlemen from Skoaktiebolaget….

4 people like this.
  13. grc1

grc1 Senior member

Cross-post

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice, Congrats!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I wore my Harrow`s today for the first time, and I`m quite disappointed. The fit is completely different from my Barclays. Its very very tight and short. Both are a 8 1/2E, the Barclays on the TG73 last and the Harrow on the TG71. I did not expect a different size, apart from small differences and of course the toe box. Here is the Harrow fitted over the Barclay, left over right, that shows quite a remarkable difference, even in width. I show the heel aligned as well at the back. The bottom side of the shoes in the photo touch the chairs back. Any comments or thoughts?

I`ve emailed G&G on their enquiries@ address, and it will be interesting to see what they reply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

What do you means my TG71, Is it on the MH71 last by chance?

Big difference if the same size though, I wonder if one is a US size conversion by chance...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  17. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

MH71 and TG73 fits just a hair different, many people wear the same size, although I personally wear TG73 0.5 up from my regular G&G size (UK 12 in TG73 instead of UK 11.5). Also, the Barclay is a side gusset shoe, it will fit differently than an Oxford, no doubt. It's basically a loafer. But looking at those pics, it hardly looks like the same size. Did you look on the box and flap to see if they are marked the same size?

18. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Sorry, I forget the Initials, the Barclay is the square toe (TG73), the Harrow the soft square, yes the MH71. My mistake, not TG, apologies.

Both are written 8 1/2E on the inside.

The Harrow is 30cm length and 10cm wide, the Barclay is 31.5cm x 11.5cm.

Could anyone who is an 8 1/2E UK measure their pairs, so we can get to the root of this? To me a centimeter and a half difference in both length and width on the same size seems like their is something wrong somewhere...

Appreciate any feedback.

19. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Thanks for the feedback - yes, both are clearly marked 8 1/2E.

The 1 1/2cm in width and length difference does seem excessive.

From what you say, if I were a 0.5 up on the TG73 (which is the bigger fit in my 8 1/2`s), it would make this size difference even bigger, which does make me feel something is wrong somewhere.

Maybe the length and width measurements give a clue, if people could help out?

I`m just trying to get some consistency here, and have no claims against anyone, but as you appreciate it does make re-ordering problematic if there is no consistency in sizing.

Thanks everyone.

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh damn! Well done.