1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. OREO

OREO Senior member

Can anyone explain why G&G (and other manufacturers) make such a story about different widths?
    When i visited the store they said that if i wanted a different width of a standard model i'd need to pay mto prices.
    Now it looks like gmto through skoak is going to need several orders of the same width before they will allow. What part of the manufacturing process is this causing a problem in regards to this?

1 person likes this.
  2. blue2007

blue2007 Senior member

Took a trip today at the GG store in London. Great selection of shoes and super cool guys. We chatted and looked at shoes for over an hour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I always stress over this too, being an H (eu) or EEE (U.S.) width. It's been explained to me that some manufactures may not have physical lasts for every width in every size for each last model they offer, so in some case, a new one may have to be made. Also, the pattern of the shoe scales differently when the width increases independently from the length, so new patterns may have to be designed.

1 person likes this.
  4. OREO

OREO Senior member

I think that would explain the price hike for some manufacturers, but i don't think this applies to G&G who have small number of lasts.
    Wow, being an H width must be tough, i'm an F and i'm struggling

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

I believe as stock models are made off one set of lasts and patterns, wide width would require changing last and pattern of shoe which slows down assembly line?

That said quite a few F widths here, just no consensus of getting a GMTO done

Nice deep chameleon patina, wish we could order them through retailer:
    https://instagram.com/p/7iIum2yIV9/?taken-by=gazianogirling

6. Nick A

Nick A Senior member

I looked in to this combination with G&G a while ago and they were reluctant to do it because the strap which are one piece take the full length of an alligator skin and only leave offcuts unsuitable shapes for shoes. In fact the straps are curved like a boomerang shape so when wrapped around the boot they lay flush at the front where the boot is angled. However, they said they could compromise and put a joint in to the strap for alligator to keep the price more inviting. I would not mind a joint here because alligator isn't a smooth surface and it won't be seen.
    I can get a price if anyone is interested. I'm definitely interested on the Deco

7. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

If you can get the price that would be greatly appreciated. Me & mw313 are interested in jodhpurs boot with crock strap we originally seen this in John L jodhpurs boots with crock strap made to order by leather soul store. If you dont all ready know what I am talking about to get an idea you can go to there site & do a search on jodhpur. But G&G or jl both would work depending upon price. But prefer G&G.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  8. Easily Amused

Easily Amused Senior member

Thanks for the photos! Next time I'm in London I'll have to pay a visit and augment my collection...

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Actually, I'm H in EU measurements for brands like Vass and Bonafe, for whom F is standard width. For CJ, I am a G. I don't own any GG currently, but have been dreaming about a vintage Rioja Burlington for a few months now.

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Get them you won't be disappointed for me it was that or Sinatra & I ended up getting Sinatra & yes pictures to follow once I get them :)

11. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Great!!!!

I know what you mean. Yes they only have so many lasts, but as far as I know, GG has all of the lasts in the widths that they carry because they only do so many different widths. It is more work for them in production.

They have the lasts, but just because they have the lasts doesn't mean that they have the patterns pre-made for each last and width. That is where the work comes in because they need to scale up or down depending on the width in comparison to the length.
    I'm extra narrow, so that requires more work for them on every pair that I get made, so it probably is the same if you are wider than an F width.

I would be fine with having a joint in the strap so there is less Croc or gator that is wasted to keep the price down. I wouldn't expect it to be very visible if done in the right location anyway. I'm interested in the Deco or TG73 as long as they can do my width.

Definitely and I'm good for either Croc or Gator, but only by GG. I can't get JL in my narrow width as both you and @Nick A already know, but the JL pair on Leather soul was my inspiration on it. I'm fine with TG73 or the Deco if they can make my width, but I would like to get in a few of my other GG MTO pairs first, where I have been trying an even more narrow width, so I will be able to have the closest fit possible for this special Jodhpur where the proper width is of such importance.

12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Me too calf or suede? Which one I saw the pic it's very nice & sick looking

13. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I have a british racing green one and love it

14. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Justinkapur that sounds awesome is there pic that you can share if possible. Kind of like to see so I can have idea on what they look like. I have seen racing green on there standard offering.

15. Nick A

Nick A Senior member

I found this on the net. Are these the colours?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

17. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Thank you justinkapur those are lovely

1 person likes this.
  18. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Those are the one I was asking the price for JL & me & mw313 wanted to see if we can do same thing as those but with G&G

19. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I like the suede, but prefer the calf in one of the less common colors, like Racing Green or midnight blue. Here are a few different colors that are great on the Gable (none are mine. I just found these online):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mw313

mw313 Senior member

That is the basic styling and color. I'm fine with slightly different browns as well, but at least somewhat close to that so the croc or gator strap will stand out and add contrast / depth to the lighter upper as in this pair.

Definitely on the TG73 or Deco last though. Not something so rounded.