1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mw313

mw313 Senior member

So this is the most up to date listing of who is in for the Walkton so far. We just need to narrow down which is the standard width for this pair (E or F) because we need 6 of the same width before others can be added. We also need to decide on either the MH71 or TG73. The current thoughts based on members who gave the Okay are above.

So based on this, we have these combos to look at from this group and with me in a narrow width, which makes 9 people:

-at least 5 F widths on the TG73
    -3 F widths on the MH71
    -3 E widths on the TG73
    -at least 5 E widths on the MH71 (it can be 6 with @mypants on E)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

What size of the tacco leather insole would you order? For say a Carmina simpson size 8 UK. Or a G&G MH71 size 8UK.

3. mw313

mw313 Senior member

they have them by size and then you can do extra cutting down if you need to adjust because as you probably have noticed, each last is shaped quite differently.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've seen pictures and it looks nothing like the Kudu G&G sells. Its a flat non textured and one color leather that I highly doubt is real Antelope.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:It has no connection to real antelope. It is a thick, waxy, oily leather that is damn near indestructible and great for hard-use footwear - but the "Kudu" aspect is just marketing.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Awesome. If I had known they would turn out this dark I would have been so in on this - but a "tan" derby boot would have been redundant for me.

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I think I agree with you, Roger. For my collection/preference the darker color would have been welcomed.

9. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Exactly. It is a waste to say kudu

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Thank you for this info I didn't know this till now.

11. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Is kudu consider exotic or no??

12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

You may be right I don't know much about it accept it cost very less compare to G&G but it could be other factors not really kudu

13. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I think that anything besides calf and suede is considered exotic. I have heard some people even call shell cordovan (crup) exotic even though I feel that shell isn't. Plus as far as I know the kudu they use should come from Africa and that is exotic in a way by location alone.

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Don't forget it is Alden too. They are much less than GG in the first place but a good way to check on exotics is the price compared to normal leather prices for a brand. There is a premium for Kudu

15. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Fair enough makes sense by the way you up for gmto jodhpur boot with gator straps? through G&G?

16. Tallcane

Tallcane Senior member

Thought I would post here as well. I have officially decided to let my new G&G Arran Grain Thorpe's go. They are gorgeous but too close to my Ishams especially since I would like to add a St. James to my rotation. Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested in a UK 7.5 F Width. These are so new that they have not even been tried on...

17. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Yes I'd love them but we need to wait a few months because I need to get in a few of the pairs I have on order to see if the fit on the new and more narrow last is good enough yet. For a Jodhpur on a narrow foot the fit needs to be a good as I can get it.

What last are you thinking? We can start to work in some of the details if you want but unjust need some time for now. I really want to work on that one though. I think that DDD and I have been talking about it for over a year now when we spoke about the JL pair that we showed you.

18. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Sorry to hear that. Which Ishams do you have? Kudu? If so mind posting some comparison?

19. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Sorry to hear that. Which Ishams do you have? Kudu? If so mind posting some comparison?[/quote

Hey after seeing what is going on with the Walkton and seeing what we are doing with it (in the extra post with examples of what we are doing but with other leather and reverse setup of the two tone) are you definitely out? I just want to update the list.

20. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Bud I am not really all that picky person & long as you guys are not doing out there shoes etc but that's not the case with you & other gents. So I am down with G&G jodhpur but we can add gator to wrap around the boots. But whatever you guys come up with is fine too. I looked into JL jodhpur & got a quote for 3500$ which is little crazy. So I backed out of it & got my money back I will ask nick for a price.