1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Hey so both the Cedar/Kudu St. James and the Pearl Grey St. James were both on the MH71. Why did you order two different sizes for those St. James when they are on the same last? The 10 F will be the same actual width as the 10.5 E except that the 10.5 will be a bit longer. Do you have any GG shoes currently?

Most people wear the same size for both the MH71 and TG73, but if your toes are a bit wider or have a wide front of your foot compared to the back, some people will size up one width (from E to F) on the TG73 because the last itself is the same in all dimensions except that the toe box is a bit tighter.

If this helps at all, what do you wear in other brands? There are enough of us that we may be able to help just off of that, like if you have Edward Green, Enzo Bonafe, Carmina, etc.

So for now, I'll add you as in for either the MH71 or TG73 but that you are unsure of either E or F width. Just so you know, if you are still unsure in the end, you can order the wider width and then request that they send a full sock liner with it that you can add in if the shoe is still a bit wide. I have done that before and it does help to reduce by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of one width.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. mw313

mw313 Senior member

So this is the most up to date listing of who is in for the Walkton so far. We just need to narrow down which is the standard width for this pair (E or F) because we need 6 of the same width before others can be added. We also need to decide on either the MH71 or TG73. The current thoughts based on members who gave the Okay are above.

So based on this, we have these combos to look at from this group without hearing the size from @Ironist and with me in a narrow width, which makes 10 people:

-at least 5 F widths on the TG73
    -3 F widths on the MH71
    -3 E widths on the TG73
    -at least 5 E widths on the MH71

3. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Sorry I'm out. My thoughts were to have the kudu on the heel and toe since the reverse has actually very little kudu on it. Also, I think chiseled lasts look better in st James. Good luck though.

4. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Truthfully that is what i was originally thinking of when it comes to where the kudu would be. Then someone mentioned that the texture of the kudu would be where the medallion would be and I started thinking that the overlap of the two may make things too complicated. Plus the since the places of the Kudu would be separated, it may make the kudu at the toe area too tight and stretched when there is a gap of smooth leather separating that to the facings and again to the heel.

This way there will be Kudu there as more of an accent piece to the amazing vintage cherry and it would keep the medallion smooth and visible, while also making it easier to polish the shoe this way. I also am thinking that there will be less visible creasing at the vamp by using the Kudu there instead of the calf. Then the shoe will almost always look brand new.

Does that help at all and do you have any suggestions, or are you definitely out? What last were you thinking anyway? We thought that the more chiseled last would make it look unique, because I found a few pictures of the walkton on the TG73 and it was quite cool, even though it was a different leather combo. Here are a few pics on the TG73 in a two tone (black pigskin and vintage rioja calf) as well, but with the textured leather (pigskin) on the heel, toe, and facing. As you can see, the medallion is not that visible and the Kudu has even more texture than that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  5. mypants

mypants Well-Known Member

As I don't yet have any G&G, I went with the sizing advice that Skoak gave me via email. On the first cedar/kudu they suggested the 10F and for the Pearl grey they said 10.5E... I actually didn't realize they were the same last at the time. So, I suppose at least I'll find out which is better for me :)

But, to deal with this new last, I am a 11D in Allen Edmonds strand, a 44 in Vass F last, and a 10 in Carmina rain. So, any suggestions based on that? Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Well for what it's worth I take 9.5D on park avenue & strand on AE & I take 9UK E on TG73 & have same size order on MH71 last. So I would try 10.5UK but I take regular width. Hope it helps bud.

7. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I do. Posted earlier in this thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Those Arrans are gorgeous!

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

So jealous of y'all getting more shoes. Moving back to the city and my wife saw the closet and said "it's not big enough for your shoes..." The MI openness...the one thing I'll miss...

1 person likes this.
  10. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I don't follow these rules (so there are exceptions especially for narrow feet like mine) but usually people size about 1/2 down from AE on the 5-65 last (what the strand is on) and up 1/2 size from the Carmina Rain

11. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Oh and here are some "action shots" at night when I was walking around outside after my outing in my Polo suede St James II on the TG73

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

mw313 thank you for the pic bud again I am envy & jealous lol I broke down & email nick dude hope fully some good news come my way.

13. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

This advice is spot on AE PA & Strand last 65 size 9.5D US carmine rain 8.5UK

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Depending on how you like your shoes fitting by the toes you could go either E or F because the TG73 can be a little tighter for some people at the toes, but it does sound like the 10.5 will probably be better for you. The 10F will fit like the 10.5 E except that the length will be a bit more on the 10.5. If you went F for this pair on 10.5 it would be a bit wider to make up for the more narrow toe box and just ask for a fill sock liner to be sent along to make up for any additional width if needed. It is better for the shoe to be a bit wide and you can add things in like sock liners, tongue pads, Etc. to fill in the space. If you get a pair too small then it can be tough to do much with it without changing the proportions of the shoe and also making the lasted shoe tree not fitting well anymore.

15. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Haha. I figured you would. I know that I'm the other enabler on here now. I would check with Nick (he is amazing and so knowledgable. He figured out my size) but also Skoak since they are my go to guys for whatever I can get from them.

16. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

mw313 for EB chiseled last what sock liner do you recommend I know this last only come in normal size not wide.

17. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Thanks I am just waiting on his,response

18. mypants

mypants Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who chimed in on the sizing advice. Much appreciated!

19. mw313

mw313 Senior member

EB? As in Enzo Bonafe? Or was that a type-o?

20. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Great and I hope they can help you out. If You speak with Nick let him know I sent you to him and maybe he will be able to help a bit more. Haha. I ordered my first two pairs of GG from him amd he does some unique set ups too, like Skoak.

Idk about pricing between the two but I would expect Skoak to be less even with a MTO fee but who knows. They are the only people/stores I deal with anymore outside of bespoke guys due to the service and knowledge being beyond reproach.