1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

Good to know - if i understand you correctly the major colour variation is a quality control issue - not just different batches of leather is different

2. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I totally agree with hoodog in this aspect 100% but to each there own.

1 person likes this.
  3. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

G&G, and I believe also EG, use pre-finished crust leather (in most cases at least), which means that the hides have a base color (which can vary), only the final finish is done in the factory after the shoe is made (not like when you use clean crust leather, the blue-grey hides, which is all finished after the shoe has been built, or sometimes painted to a base color before making and then finished when built).

Here's a pic I took when I visited the factory, double monks for RLPL that I think will be in vintage oak when finished:

[​IMG]

Here's another one from The Shoe Snob Blog, with one model in the front and others in the back, where you can see some different shades:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Very informative info thx you for sharing.

5. Tallcane

Tallcane Senior member

I agree with dddress. I appreciate that the color is out of Skoak's hands and the boot will still be fine. I wanted it lighter but I can live with it. Personally, I am disappointed by the lack of speed hooks. Did they just forget them? But, more importantly, I would still like to see more G&G preorders rather than less. I believe the MH 71 in F width is my best shoe and I need preorders or GMTOs to make it happen without an upcharge.

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

You and me both.

It's a shame that this boot GMTO did was not executed perfectly or as expected, but let's not make it the last one. I'm sure Skoak will do here what they do best, provide great service...

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The color on the thorpes look great. Its more a matter of still having a hole in the rotation. There is 0 skoak can do about it and I appreciate the pickle they are in. This is my first GG make up and I think the factory should have advised skoak the color on this batch has a fair amount of variance from previous batches. I think Ryden....gulp....had the right idea. #firstworldproblems. A big thanks to Skoak for their transperancy and c/s.

Edit:I cetainly would not want skoak to discontinue the preorder option.

1 person likes this.
  8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Well said

9. Bumble_Bee

Bumble_Bee Senior member

+1, but this response is not new in SF.

It's a first world shoes and will have first world problems. Like missing some hooks.

However, sensing some passive hints of negotiations here, seeing dddrees's repsonse. Hope everything works out.

10. JubeiSpiegel

I know the leather color is probably an unchangeable matter, but I wonder if the speed hook error can be fixed. I'm not an expect in shoe making, but maybe the metal hooks and brass holes can still be added after the fact? However, i'll leave that to Skoak to address with each participating person...

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

And tolerances vary as well. The speed hooks for me are not a deal breaker....the color I wish was more like EG almond CC.

12. mw313

mw313 Senior member

In terms of the color there is nothing that can be done now except to make a new batch or for each owner to work on getting the shoe shade lighter with plenty of work. (That is up to you guys, but this shoe does look great)

But I wasn't in the order here and my comment is more to the speed hooks. Speed hooks can be added to a pair of shoes that does not have them. I had speed hooks added to my GG Canterbury even though the pair was already finished. It was sent back to the factory and GG took care of it. So it can be done but in sure that would have to be death with on an individual basis and it probably would take quite a bit of time to get them die to shipping and fitting that work into the production schedule.

13. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Ugh maybe I should just send the pair directly to dandy shoe care. May not be able to make lighter but maybe more unique? I've seen them work miracles before...

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Let them see pictures first bit yea you could if that is what you would want. He mentioned to me before that it is easier to do the work to a new shoe anyway so he starts without any extra wear on it.

15. JubeiSpiegel

16. nycxandy

nycxandy Senior member

AH One Shoes has a 10% off promo for all G&Gs, including MTOs.

17. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Are they legit? That puts mtos at 1,000

18. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

try doing an MTO it adds $200 when you choose a last. Seems standard costs with no discount. but 10% discount makes them a better deal

The best part is they are in the U.S. Yet their prices match overseas unlike some other stores :D

19. Faster

Faster Senior member

MTO Soles are +$200.... ?!

20. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Seems like a lot of people confuse what I wrote with some kind of criticism towards Skoaktiebolaget. That's really not my point. I realise completely that Skoaktiebolaget is on the receiving end as well as the purchasers of those boots and that they have very little to say, if anything at all, about these issues. Skoaktiebolaget is not at fault here at all as I understand things. What I do think is very bad however is that such a renowned maker as G&G that sell some of the most expensive RTW shoes in the world, can put out shoes that obviously are very different from what was ordered. And get away with it, apparently. Without communicating the issue before hand. I mean, the guys over G&G surely must've noticed that the color was much darker on this batch.

What's maybe even more incredible is that now people almost seem to accept the situation under some kind of vague threat that if they don't, then G&G just might cancel the whole pre-order system all together.

It's more a matter of principles than anything else for me I guess. But ymmv of course.

1 person likes this.