• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry, Jubei; lasts as petite as G&G's really would need trimmer cuffs -- 20 cm girth max. Otherwise the pairs become swamped under cloth.

I don't think it's the girth that's the most important, but rather the amount of break on the pants. Shoes as sleek as GGs really do demand very clean lines from the pants too IMHO.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just noticed GG changed their logo, interesting.

Yeah, they've been pressured by Coco Chanel for a while (with the mirrored C:s, claiming that G&G:s mirrored G:s were too alike) so when they were to change factory and new store they decided to just update the logo and get rid of those stupid fashion people-lawyers hanging over their backs.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

New GG trees arrived (MH71 last):

As a quick comparison to the original trees:

A bit darker, handle heel, longer facing, & bigger plaque. Changes are not that severe...

To me, apart from change in appearance, re-design mainly serves technical purpose of preventing the tongue from deforming, longer facing to fully support tongue rather than supporting just half of the tongue. Just like JL did sometime back.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Burnham chelsea boot available RTW anywhere? Was it discontinued? I'm looking for an 11.5 or 12, darker color

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To me, apart from change in appearance, re-design mainly serves technical purpose of preventing the tongue from deforming, longer facing to fully support tongue rather than supporting just half of the tongue. Just like JL did sometime back.

Are the new trees lighter than the old ones?

jas0nt

Reaction score
How does G&G sizing compare to EG 888 sizing? Are all G&G lasts the same regarding sizing?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

How does G&G sizing compare to EG 888 sizing? Are all G&G lasts the same regarding sizing?

Pretty close. Our general recommendation is to wear the same size. G&G sizing is very similar in al lasts although I find the TG73 fits me more snug. But most clients wear the same size across all G&G lasts.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty close. Our general recommendation is to wear the same size. G&G sizing is very similar in al lasts although I find the TG73 fits me more snug. But most clients wear the same size across all G&G lasts.
Thanks for this information. Could I ask if the same size issue works for slip-ons and boots as well? Also, if the TG73 is the snuggest, what out of interest is the roomiest?

Last edited:

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this information. Could I ask if the same size issue works for slip-ons and boots as well? Also, if the TG73 is the snuggest, what out of interest is the roomiest?
My personal opinion is that TG73 fit rather similar to MH71. Close around my arch, and good space for the toes, while DG70 has a slightly slimmer toe box than the both. For me, the only difference between TG73 and MH71 seems to be the esthetics. Just from pictures GG06 looks roomier, but I have no personal experience with this last.

Itsuo

Reaction score

Dear JohnathanDWalker,

Thank you for your kind patronage!

When you want to have them resoled, do send them to us,
and we will be able to take away all the creases away
and polish them. Like new.

And when you break in, do place two pencils horizontally
at where the upper should flex and crease. When you do
this, flex hard but carefully so that the uppers do not get
scratched.

This ritual should help crease beautifully and reduce chances
of getting creases where you do not want them.

Kind regards,

Masaichi Hasegawa, Director
Gaziano and Girling Limited
[email protected]

Has anyone tried the above with any success? Can you elaborate on your experience? Thank you!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My personal experience is MH71 has slightly more room in toe box than TG73 and DG70

JulianL

Reaction score

My experience is that EG and G&G sizing, at least for the TG73 last, are very different.

I have one pair of EG in 888 and one pair of G&G in TG73. My G&G TG73 (the pair I first got) is a UK size 7D and it pinches my toes something terrible. I find the toe box far too small and can't wear them comfortably for more than a few hours. The problem is all in the toe box because elsewhere the fit is either OK or loose. My EG 888 is a UK size 6.5D and if anything it's slightly too big. I still have some room in the toe box so I'm considering sizing down to a 6.5C or maybe a 6D in order to get a snugger fit at the heel to get rid of some heel slip.

I'm told by EG that I don't have duck feet at all, in fact that my toes taper in to my big toe very nicely on both feet, so it doesn't seem to be down to me having totally weird feet. My experience is that the toe box on a TG73 really is narrow.

Another point on G&G sizing is that, if you find the Deco last too pointy for your tastes then, in addition to the fit issues that I already mentioned, be very cautious about sizing a TG73 down to a narrower fitting for aesthetic reasons. Going to a narrower width accentuates the standard level of pointiness of the TG73 last and mine ended up looking rather too much like the Deco last for my liking.

- Julian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads