1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Absolutely. The DG70 is a more classic last that's suited for a more conservative shoe. The aggressive profile of the TG73 probably seems to conflict with things like the Cambridge and Oxford.

2. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

ah now i know why FOO :foo: has the one shoe theory - so her in doors does not know when he has new shoes or not :happy:

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yes. also i feel in the other direction when more is going on in the toe area its seems kinda squished on the DG70.

:lol:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. Oyaji

Oyaji Senior member

Really? I can cope with this kind of conflict:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

these look like an F width??

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^+1 I don't remember my Hayes looking that wide

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I'll pm you mine.

8. rsharp00

rsharp00 Member

Sorry - I simply meant if I'm limited to one pair of G&G should I go the calf or pigskin route as opposed to suede. I'd originally wanted shell, but Tony explained how they have a hard time finding shell which meets their high standards. I've never paid $1200 for a pair of shoes, so I was just seeking advice from those of you who have experience with these kinds of purchases - wondering if down the line I'd regret going with suede.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^ Only you can answer that, my friend. For what it's worth, I have a pr of suede on order - but I have some leather and shell also. Maybe you could ease into it with some suede in the $5-700 range?

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I personally like the looks of suede...but you need to be aware that depending on how it is produced it can be a very delicate and weak leather.

And anytime the grain surface is stripped off or turned to the inside, the result will always be nearly as water absorbent as a sponge. And dirt, too, will tend to not only accumulate more readily on suede but be harder to remove.

11. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'd personally go with a discreet calf in that case. It’s the most versatile choice in my opinion. Suede and pigskin are more casual, while you can wear Black Calf or Vintage Oak Calf for most occassions.

12. in stitches

i love suede, but in my experience they are best as an occasional shoe. if youre looking for a workhorse shoe you might want a less delicate leather.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

+1

i guess our friend is after the distinctive design of g&g, which is rather unique on the market. probably carmina could offer an alternative.

same, when people cannot understand a bespoke pair in black. imo, why compromising in fit and comfort?

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

suede is one of the least delicate.

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

:embar: i guess the suede shoes ive had in the past were just crappy then. or i didnt know how to care for them. either way tbh i havent had a pair in a while cuz the ones i had didnt hold up. well,

[​IMG]

i guess its time for me to get back into suede from a respectable maker. i already have a good suede maintenance kit, thanks spoo! ;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  16. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

+1 - Steven at Leffot also has this opinion.

17. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Au contraire...you're over your head and your paygrade here. Much of the suede on the market is goat skin. Goat is not high on the list of leathers with good tensile strength. You can often rip it with very little effort and bare hands. And goat (and 'kid' --young goat) are notorious for 'peeling'...when the grain surface is struck the grain itself will peel back.

Another large portion of the the "suede" being used is 'splits'--leather where the top grain has been split off and used in better quality shoes, thus removing as much as 50% or more of the intrinsic tensile strength.

All that said, I did say it "can be" delicate. Some suede is actually a full grain calf that is simply turned inside out. While this retains most or all of the tensile strength of that particular leather, it doesn't eliminate the inherent problems of exposing the flesh side to rain and grit. All of which is compounded by the fact that almost any conditioner that one might apply to a grain-side calf will ruin the look of the "suede."

On the other hand, it's all relative, isn't it? I mean even the worst suede is probably stronger than paper.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  18. rsharp00

rsharp00 Member

Wow - what an unbelievable wealth of knowledge. Can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for the help. I think I've decided on the Windsor in Vintage Chestnut. If Tony can find a last, that is. I have huge feet (UK12.5), and he seemed uncertain about if they had an existing last that would work. Cross my fingers, I guess. Thanks again guys.

19. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

I've had an order in for about four months for a pair in 12.5G, so I sure hope they have something that will work.

20. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

this is true. I've handled many 60+ pairs of shoes where the regular calf was dried and cracking, while the suede was still going strong.

DWF had a good point about suede & dirt, though.