1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I echo the statements above. To me it's just 2 different worlds of formality. I wouldn't see a shoe I wore with jeans on a Friday night as the same shoe I would wear to an interview. But with the right tailored dark denim it could work but wouldn't be my first choice.

Glad to hear all sides of the argument though

2. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Cover your eyes! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^^ This is what I'm talking about, looks perfectly fine with slimmer jeans. Would not look cool with worn out baggy dad jeans.

2 people like this.
  4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nice boots, man. No dad jeans, either. :slayer:

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Hell yeah. :cheers:

6. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Tucked away for the season actually. Did you see my Insta pic?

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Boooooooooo....It's always boot season!

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Also while we are making requests, what's Up with the lack of Thorpe pics on this thread?

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

PSA to Philly and surrounding area members:

ToBox in Center City Philadelphia will be hosting a Gaziano&Girling Trunk show on Sat., June 20th from 10am to 6pm. Come on by if you are in the area!

ToBox is located at 25 S 19th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103. (On 19th street between Market and Chestnut.)

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I would add that a nice looking sport shirt always works as well.

11. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

when I look at my Vintage Oak Warwick, something keeps telling me it could benefit from alternating between oxblood and mid / dark brown. Anyone ever done this ?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  12. mw313

mw313 Senior member

That is great to know. Tung didn't tell me about that yet. I've been telling him to consider GG and offered to show him mine first. I hope he sends an email out to tell everyone.

Maybe we can meet up and get the SF crew from the philly area together!

Who from GG will be coming?

13. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

He will definitely be sending an email and announcing on social media. I asked who was coming and he said a sales team.

I will be there and possibly another member so I am game to get the crew together.

14. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Way to go [​IMG]
    I was quite happy to say perhaps it was a cultural thing re denims but others have advised it's a case of taste, style correctness rather than fashion - errrmmm perhaps they are right and that we really shouldn't wear Oxfords with jeans - errrmmm stuff and nonsense.
    Of course style evolves with fashion - on this same forum I was advised that trousers with pleats are horrible and the devil's handiwork and should never be worn. When I pointed out that Fred Astaire seemed to have made the look rather elegant I was derided.
    The pictures posted on here of members with their G&G and jeans look great IMHO.
    The Italians, French and English invented style and the Americans inherited it. To me it is fine that Americans have adopted and amalgamated the various styles in to one of their own. Italian style for example is very different from English, but it would be a brave Englishman to criticize their fashion sense; they invented the deconstructed blazer which we all love but is hardly 'proper'. In the 1800's it was not considered 'proper' to wear brown shoes in town or after 6pm....of course fashion and style go hand in hand!
    One remarkable gentleman added here in this thread that as the people who sell them wear them (I presume suits) then it's good enough for him - when I go for an evening meal I eat their food but I don't dress like the waiter or the chef.
    I am sure that Mr Gaziano and Mr Girling would be delighted some of us have chosen this heinous way to display their lovely shoes...perhaps we should ask them because their staff have as yet to refuse to serve me whilst I'm wearing Levis.

1 person likes this.
  15. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Is squeaking around the mid-sole fairly common for new GGs? I've been slowly breaking them and assume the sound will go away. Just wanted to double check.

16. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Cheers, mate! I actually bought them from a really great guy too. [​IMG]

17. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Aww, too bad. I'm not sure if I ever saw the Insta pic...

18. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

Is the squeaking from air being pushed around the inside as you walk? Or from the shoe itself?

19. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

I met Tony last year and distinctly remember him wearing vintage cherry St James with jeans. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

:cheers:

:cheers: