• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be wear and tear...maybe tight lacing one day and a significant flex that undid a stitch. I would think it is an easy fix. Good luck!

zinc2162

Reaction score
It could be wear and tear but I only got them in January. And due to the bad weather in Toronto, I haven't gotten chances to wear them much.

Harrydog

Reaction score

Guys,

I am not impressed with the hatch grain leather. I had a bad experience with shoes in hatch grain leather from different makers. The finish was peeling off even before I wore shoes. I know G&G refinishes their hatch grain leather but I would rather not risk it.

I am interested in other grain leathers such as pin grain, alpine grain or highland grain.

My experience as well with the AS Radwell chukka. The color came off the first time I polished them. Talk about $500 wasted.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ why do reputable shoe makers continue to offer hatch grain if there are known problems? Are these problems in the minority?

Can anyone chime in who has had a positive experience over the long term with hatch grain?

I like the look a lot.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think GG was it under wraps, because they do their own finishing on hatch grain now. Not sure if their hatch grain supplier (Horween I think) is still having issues.

I also love the look, and would be willing to give hatch grain a shot. Unless someone can let us know it is still a prevalent issue...

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just ordered my second pair of Gaziano and Girlings

Waiting until April for their new showroom to open in Savile Row, but exciting all the same!!!:)

Itsuo

Reaction score

Just ordered my second pair of Gaziano and Girlings

Waiting until April for their new showroom to open in Savile Row, but exciting all the same!!!:)

Congratulations! I just got my second pair last week. It's starting to look like a real collection :nodding: What did you order, be sure to post pictures when they arrive!

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Congratulations! I just got my second pair last week. It's starting to look like a real collection :nodding: What did you order, be sure to post pictures when they arrive!

Ordered Chelsea boots - of course I'll post pics!!!

The Oxford Brogues I bought in 2009 are holding up fine!:):)

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some lucky ****** just grabbed the Ganton Loafer from my Cart on DSW ( figured it had to be an SFer)....$299 & change:slayer:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some lucky ****** just grabbed the Ganton Loafer from my Cart on DSW ( figured it had to be an SFer)....$299 & change:slayer:

:(

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They've been oos for about 12 hours now. (Showing available, then oos when checking out)

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

^ why do reputable shoe makers continue to offer hatch grain if there are known problems? Are these problems in the minority?

Can anyone chime in who has had a positive experience over the long term with hatch grain?

I like the look a lot.

I have the aforementioned Alfred Sargent Radwell and I have not observed any issues with discoloration. I've owned them for about 10 months and have polished them maybe 3~4 times. I've only polished them using some Allen Edmonds wax/cream polish in their "chilli" color, since the color looked pretty close and they have worked fine for me. Maybe I got lucky or something, but I have not had an issue with this leather and am quite happy with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads