1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

At e width? Would join but F width

2. mcl911

mcl911 Well-Known Member

racing green? as far as I know we are have different width on same last for group mto, or may be I am wrong?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Yes for racing green

You need to have 5 of the same widths before different widths can be added

4. mcl911

mcl911 Well-Known Member

at least we still have two weeks for more people who are interested, lets see what we got.

I should have ask people for their width as well...

5. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

Dude, you're the man. I didn't even think of this and Patrick thinks it should be possible! Now I just need to figure out what size to wear.

If my best fitting shoes are 6F in TG73 wholecut/cap toe oxfords and 6E in 202/606 Dover lasts do you guys think I should go with 6E in Thorpe or 6F in Thorpe?

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

6.5E... so you can pass it on to me when you're done with them. :)

7. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

I've heard one interest so far. Any takers?

8. Ironist

Lol, if the Hoves fit I might have. For some reason my wigmores fit in 6.5 but not the Hoves.

9. SuitedDx

Yeah, I saw your B&S... maybe because it's a blucher? I want the Thorpe but it's too similar to my Acorn CC Galway... rationalization baby!

Now the EG Wholecut in the other hand...

10. Ironist

Ah, that makes sense. Isn't the EG wholecut on 890 though? You don't know if that will fit or not. I hear reports that it's a weird fit.

11. Ironist

Lol I would probably be down but I'd be an F too.

12. mcl911

mcl911 Well-Known Member

Everyone is f width right now, waiting for@nickrut reply

13. SuitedDx

Yeah, but it's a fair opportunity to try the new last. It's just I also hesitate buying black with EG since their burnishing is what I like.

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

I can wear an 8.5d UK with a full leather sock liner in EG or a 8E US? Best advice for fitting as it relates to the mh73?

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Question for anyone with any GGs in either Hatch grain or Highland grain:

How has the grain leather broken in, in comparison to a pair in crust leather?
    How is the finish on the grain leather, in comparison to a pair in crust leather?

I am debating the aesthetic intrigue of the grain leathers (which i really like), against their long term appearance. It will be hard for me to pass up on crust for my Arran spree, but i'm willing to consider the possibility... :decisions:

16. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I thought you said spree, if so shouldn't you get both? LOL

17. Ironist

Got all three. Highland grain is more interesting than hatch. Hatch isn't as pronounced as I would like. If you feel both, you can immediately tell highland grain in a blindfold test but hatch is smoother so it is more like calf. The crosshatches need to be more pronounced.

Honestly, hard to tell what you mean broken in. I don't think the material the uppers in affects how we break in the sole? Are you talking about creasing? IMy hatch crease pretty easily, it's like calf but it might be fit. I think highland grain is more durable overall out of the three.

GG does finish their shoes well. Granted my highland grain is on the shaft of my wigmores. However, you won't get the same patina as you will on calf. That's obvious. I really think you should probably stick with crust calf and maybe a dark brown / english grain chukka. The only color I would get in hatch would be chestnut as it is a more visually interesting color. Hatch grain in oak looks very similar to my doak dovers so it's hard to tell.

1 person likes this.
  18. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

So basically isn't G&G's grain pretty much like EG's Country Calf?

19. Ironist

Pretty much, just different colors. Scale is the same. Country calf is wearing and creasing well. Love the Mahogany CC and has a superb finish. Everything else being the same, I'd still go with the CC over hatch.

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Thank you, this is exactly what i was looking for.

"Breaking in" was probably the wrong term, i wanted to ask how the vamp area creased over time, with big waves or small creases (like crust)? It seems that most people comment that the hatch was not really worth it. I do agree the highland grain is much more obvious and has a softer feel, i'm just not sure how they will look after some time. First world problems of course, but it's the sweet agonizing that we specialize on this forvm...