1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

Damn its awesome that they find a new shoetree maker; even JLP doesn't offer their old hollowed shoe trees nowadays...

2. chogall

Not true. It's similar to your mistress' lingerie; its reserved for my own viewing and utilizing pleasure but not for the public.

Have you seen some of the Herve Brunelle trees made for Delos or JLP? Awesome.

And we used to have a lastmaker/woodworker/shoetree maker on forum but he kinda disappeared...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

3. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Gaziano & Girling makes a plain cap toe double monk for Ralph Lauren, so you might not have to go MTO (if the last and color preferences is correct). I think they have vintage oak and black, and on the TG73 last.

A picture from their New York-store, taken from my Instagram:

[​IMG]

Here's a pic from when I visited the factory:

[​IMG]

It's actually the legendary Hervé Brunelle, who use to work for John Lobb Paris, who does these hollow shoe trees. He also makes some of G&G:s bespoke lasts nowadays.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

4. xizenta

xizenta Senior Member

edit* nevermind got it.

5. chogall

He is still around?!? I thought he disappeared when JLP switched to a less hollowed trees in recent years. I still have videos of him carving lasts archived.

I will make sure I get those HB trees for my G&G order lol.
    Who else does he still work for besides G&G? How did they coordinate with a French maker...

6. j ingevaldsson

Yeah, around and prospering [​IMG] He just went on to work on his own. I think he still does some lasts for JLP:s bespoke service, not sure what other makers he works for though.

7. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

If you look carefully, the G&G shoe tree is identical to the John Lobb (London) "extra hollow" tree (only the hinge is set-in differently).

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/catalo...hoetrees/HHWPextrahollow/HHWPextrahollow2.htm

So, my guess is they are English-made and I have a reasonable suspicion who might make them. Former employees of John Lobb (London) are pretty much in the frame.

As far as I know, Brunelle is alive and well and living (and working) in Troesnes in the Picardie region, some 75 km outside of Paris. He took his web-site down a few years ago, that might have created the rumour he had stopped working.

8. j ingevaldsson

Pretty similar yes, but these are made by Brunelle. Daniel Wegan at G&G told me that he will make bespoke trees and some bespoke lasts for G&G as from this fall.

If you look even more closely you can see it in the pictures as well. The Brunelle trees are made with a bit thinner walls, the front part goes up higher under the tongue area and they have a hole at the lift part of the heel, while the Lobb-trees are then thicker, shorter upper of the front part and with more of a "hook" handle shape to lift the heel (hard to describe this well in English words for me).

The G&G tree:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hervé Brunelle tree:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Lobb London-tree:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I presume, you are right and the trees are indeed made by Brunelle.

Bit of a shame, that G&G and Brunelle failed to come up with a truly unique design.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i want some of those yellow lasts for shoe trees. :)

11. obama

obama Well-Known Member

12. fff2000

fff2000 Member

13. chogall

Nowadays JLP trees look similar to JLSJ trees. The new G&G doesn't look as good as the older HB trees; the walls are not nearly as thin as the vintage JLP trees I've seen. Regardless, I'll ask for the HB trees for my current order.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

spoo shipment hath landed. :)

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member