Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I thought they were going to be worse TBH. Those Lobbs a while ago were like 12,000 USD.

2. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Distinguished Member

Is there a faux alligator (calf leather) alternative which G&G could use on this double monk?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

First, most, if not all "faux" leathers are done on cow, not calf, or sometimes on vinyl. Why waste the calf which is, in and of itself, something of a premium leather?

Second, I seriously doubt that any manufacturer of high end, prestige shoes would resort to faux alligator. I have no particular love for manufacturers, high end or not, but I cannot think of anything that would tarnish their reputations as much as using leather that is pretending to be something it is not.

It's tawdry.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You talking to Berluti there? :confused:

5. DWFII

I don't know about Berlutti (isn't this a G&G thread?) but I stand by what I said both in terms of the origins of faux skins, and my opinion of them--the first of which may be outdated, the second of which is irrefutable.:crackup:

6. SpooPoker

It is... just Berluti is notorious for using pressed leather for RTW, but the real croc only for bespoke.

7. DWFII

Not speaking to Berlutti specifically but this just illustrates one of my main issues--once a company compromises in one area, in technique or materials, it's a slide from there...sometimes drawn out sometimes swift but always inevitable...to the bottom.

Pressed leather is not only tacky because of what it's not, but for what it is: It's "corrected grain" leather, by any standard.

Next step leatherboard insoles. Philosophically, there's no difference between that and faux alligator.

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Distinguished Member

Not at all. If you've only seen G&G shoes in pictures, and you haven't handled them in person or tried them on, you might be more likely to feel that they are "comically elongated". They look longer and narrower in pics than they do in real life. Personally, I actually was of the opinion that G&G shoes might be too elongated or too narrow for my taste when I only looked at pics of them, but once I saw them in person, I thought their proportions were perfect.

Here's a point of reference: I own a few pairs of G&G and a few pairs of John Lobb. I wear 8.5E in G&G and 8E in JL. If I measure my TG73 last (sharp square) G&Gs in size 8.5E and compare the length to my 8000 last JLs in 8E, the JLs are actually longer in length by 1/16".

9. quar

quar Senior Member

I've seen and tried on the DG70 and TG73 in real-life at Lane Crawford in HK. My opinion still stands.

I guess it's not a matter of being elongated, it's more the fact that the G&G lasts are over-stylised in my opinion. Just too aggressive looking. The GG06 is OK though.

I don't see the appeal at all, other than the outstanding quality for a price significantly less than JL Prestige. And that's coming from someone who actually wears quite elongated lasts (Vass U, JL7000).

10. banis

banis Senior Member

You're talking about those?
    [​IMG]

11. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Distinguished Member

If you're OK with the GG06 last, you'd probably be all right with the MH71 last as well. I also own a pair of 7000 last Lobbs, and I would say that the 7000 last is more elongated and pointier than the MH71 last.

12. SpooPoker

Those are the very ones. Thanks Banis.

13. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

a shop in düsseldorf offered a pair of dm for € 9.990,-. actually, i thought this is a fantasy prize for rtw. not at all, as it seems.

14. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

probably not, from what he says. anyway.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Do you think it is possible to get hand welting on a MTO G&G? For example could I get a Deco and pay more for hand welting, or is it just limited to bespoke lasts?