1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

received a response just a little before Christmas

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Thank you, he just responded to my emails, so all is well i suppose. Crisis averted... :embar:

3. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

I would like to kindly ask whether is here anyone familiar with Gucci/Prada shoe sizzing. I am interested into pair of GG boots, but not sure about sizzing. Unfortunatelly there is no GG store in my country :(. Many thanks for any suggestions :).

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

From my limited experience with Gucci and Prada shoes, they seem to fit true to size even if the shapes can seem a bit elongated, so extrapolate from there.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

My best suggestion to you is, first, get both your feet sized on a Brannock scale (your local department store should have one of these). Both feet please, it's an important detail. Write down the two sizes, and the larger of the two will be the ready-to-wear (RTW) size you should aim for. Best case scenario, your feet will have a regular width to them, so you will be able to order from most RTW stock shoes. If your feet are wide (or extra wide like mine are) the vendor selection will be severely limited, and you might only be able to take the made-to-order (MTO) route.

Once you have your size, you will need to make the UK conversion estimate. If you are in the US, typically GG shoes are a half size difference in both length & width. As an example, if your Brannock scale size is 10 D width, you're GG size will be UK 9.5 E width.

In the end, the best information you will get is when you get some shoes on your feet to try on. So track down some vendors that offer some generous return policies, and order a couple of pair at a time if your wallet will afford it. The time spent initially in figuring out your size is more than worth it. Good luck to you, and welcome to SF...

6. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Many thanks :).

Many thanks, good point. I will have to start with a Brannock scale and store with good return policy. In fact at the moment I was considering purchase of a pair from Marketplace, but in my case the width would be a problem. And since I live in EU I am scared to pay not only for shoes, but also VAT and DUTY and end up with a pair which does not fit.

7. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Where in the EU? Others may disagree/agree, but I find the Carmina Simpsons and TG73 to be very similar fits.

8. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Good info. Can you compare Carmina Rain to TG73 and MH71?

9. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

If TG73's similar to the Simpson, then it'll be a lot narrower than the Rain. The MH71 is then a lot wider than TG73 and comparable to the Rain last. However, all G&G lasts ostensibly fit the same, according to Dean, I think.

10. laufer

laufer Senior member

Yes that is what both Dean and Tony said but your mileage may vary. I could not fit in tg73, the toebox was squishing my toes and when I went a half a size up it was too long and that is why my Wigmores are on sale.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

My only experience with Rain is that it fits true, UK9 wholecuts are fine for me whereas TG73 is a bit narrow/ tight and I have to size up half a size for a bit more comfort especially boots although I have a pair of Oakhams in 9 that I can just about squeeze into but are more snug than I usually like.

1 person likes this.
  12. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear. Was considering a pair in TG73 but my feet get squished in the Simpson, even in a half size up.

13. laufer

laufer Senior member

For me Rain and MH71 the same size.

14. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Was told by the G&G employees at the Savile Row store that all of the lasts are roughly the same fit, so there will be no size changing. I can't wear any Carmina lasts besides the Simpson, so I can't comment on fit relative to others. From my experience, Carmina is incredibly wide in the heel, which is my smallest part, which is why I can wear the narrow lasts that others seemingly cannot.

The TG73 is really a comfortable last, at least for me, and I recommend it highly.

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Common misconception. The Simpson last isn't narrow. It's a low instep last (as is the TG73).

I wear UK E width shoes, and Simpson is perfect for me (C&J's 348 last is also good for low insteps).

16. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

My Simpson lasted pair measures a full 1 cm less across the widest part of the sole compared to my Rain lasted shoe in the same size. It is not just an instep difference---there is a considerable and well-documented difference in width as well.

1 person likes this.
  17. Revilo

Revilo Active Member

Aaaand picture time!
    Gable in fox suede and vintage oak (iPhone pic unfortunately)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

Love the fox suede! Great shoes ... Gable was my first G&G, no regrets, ever.

19. lartiste

lartiste Senior member

Prague, no Carmina store, but I will try to make purchase oline and we will see. Many thanks, good idea :).

20. Revilo

Revilo Active Member

Thanks man! Same here! first i didnt think much of the gable at all, then it started growing on me! [​IMG]