1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

They aren't, but they kill GG on price to value ratio, IMO. Actually pretty much every premium shoemaker has better price to value, although there could be an argument made about JLP. Also IMO, but GG makes some really pretty shoes that can overwhelm such concepts as "value" :D

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

G&G used to be great value, but it seems they make price increases every half year

3. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Totally agree. In fact (IMO) they're so bad that they had to have an Italian firm make their F and U last, iirc.

I think they still are a great value.

4. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

G&G has value but not by the typical "materials + construction" = value formula. Vass, Carmina, Enzo, and AS would win that. Even compared to EG GG seemed overpriced but because of a few missteps from other brands I think there is a definitely place for GG. Especially since I have a normal to low instep so I can't fit Vass and some Enzo lasts and most low instep lasts from other makers are ugly or too narrow.

1. Good RTW collection
    2. Refills for retailers do not have MTO surcharge
    3. Accepts GMTO
    4. Exotics and choice of materials is bar none
    5. Sleek lasts that accommodate normal insteps
    6. Option for wider feet
    7. Higher quality finish than RTW competitors
    8. Best RTW soles
    9. Designs are the most beautiful

If you can avoid the MTO surcharge, at around $950 it is good value as you need to spend closer to $1300-1500 to go into the semi-bespoke range with superior finish and fit.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  5. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Ironist could you elaborate why you'd say they seem overpriced compared to EGs? I'd say that they are around the same price as EGs within $100 and I think they are finished a little better in the RTW arena. To me, they are the nicest RTW though I'll admit I have very low experience with a couple of the other ultra high end brands.

The best value in shoes is probably AS Exclusive but for top of the line GG is my go-to. I have more GGs than anything else by a wide margin for that reason.

6. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Because EG and GG are comparable so the $100 markup may seem excessive to some if they don't value the additions that GG offers. For some people $100 is a lot. I also think a lot of vendors still require GG shoe trees even though skoaktiebolaget doesn't.

AS doesn't have a wide enough selection or GMTO and I think the MTO surcharge would make it better to buy GG.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Great value when it just came out. Or during Barney's sale. Lol

1 person likes this.
  8. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Makes sense then. I don't think EGs are as sleek and the soles are definitely better on GGs so it's easily worth the $100 to me. YMMV though.

AS just makes quality shoes for the price point IMO. Limited styles, yes, but good shoes.

9. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

Cross post from the Balmoral Boot thread:

These are my newly arrived Wigmores with vintage rioja calf uppers and navy suede shafts (a very pleasant MTO experience with Thomas in the Savile Row shop before I moved out of the London area). They were very comfortable right out of the box, plus they look great!

[​IMG]

10. Asch

Asch Senior member

Anyone have the new St. James yet? It'd be nice to see photos from different angles to compare it to the St. James II.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

You might have to wait a few more months. I think they just started using the new design for orders just this month.

Maybe Nick or Leaves have a prototype they can take some pics of...?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  12. JubeiSpiegel

13. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

I'd like to see them as well. Hopefully they start popping up soon.

14. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

My personal pair moving through production.

@GabrielOB also has a shot from the flagship.

Looks pretty great, better balance IMO.

15. GabrielOB

GabrielOB Well-Known Member

See this picture for a comparison of the old St James II (pictured in Vintage Cherry) and the new St James II in Vintage Rioja. The differences are in the vamp and heel counter where this new model is based on an early bespoke shoe.
    [​IMG]

16. laufer

laufer Senior member

They should have just called that St.James III and problem solved. It would have given a people an excuse to collect all three :embar:
    For the record I only have St. James

17. GabrielOB

GabrielOB Well-Known Member

They actually changed both their St James (no peeked heel counter) and St James II (with peeked heel counter) for technical reasons in the production. I believe that it was the vamp area and U cap which needed to be adjusted but I think it changed to the better :)

18. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Wow I like the new ones a lot. Still like the old ones though haha. Guess I'll have to buy one of the new.

19. JubeiSpiegel

New St. James details look great honestly. They added some great lines and sweeps, works nicely with the slightly reduced negative space.

Damn, now I want one...

1 person likes this.
  20. armsignet

armsignet Senior member

The G&G factory must have some of the best heeled workers imaginable. Looks like he's wearing a St. James Vintage Rioja himself! Or is that the OP in the photo?